Feb 20, 2017, 12:16 PM

Maiden & first 10 flights

Hi,

I want to give feed back on the Olympus, now that I've flown it, so here goes:

My maiden flight and subsequent ones went fairly well. I had a friend do the maiden and he knife-edge looped it perfectly toward the end of the flight! I found that it holds the KE loop very well. There isn't any tendency for roll or pitch coupling in knife-edge. The CG in the manual can't be too far off...I tried it with a more forward CG because of what I've read hear but down ele is needed inverted.

Power to weight is very good on a 6S 4000maH pack which fit well. The Olympus will easily do a 4 point roll in a vertical climb and the climb will stay vertical.

I didn't use an RX pack and had no issues. But I'm not going to push it with back-to-back flights either. I still might add the Rx pack.

Robustness: I have no issues with the main wing fit. However, the cantilzer fell off during flight #4. One of the 2 insert sites showed damage to the foam but the other was pristine...I suspect the pristine one was not engaged to its screw and so the cantilzier was only held on with 1 screw. The landing gear also bent back a bit even though my landings have been great. I might ditch the wheel pants to save weight.

Overall: It's a great aerobatic plane for the money. I wish I had glued on the Cantilzer. The plane doesn't fly as well without it...KE loop is much more challenging with much more correction needed; even level KE flight pulls to the canapy a little (pitch coupling).

Has anyone replaced the motor and ESC to get even more thrust-to-weight ratio??

Thanks,

Andy
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2017, 07:20 AM
I am completing this plane, and I will not be fitting the canalyser( don,t like the look of it).
I am seriously considering not fitting the vortex generators, as there seems a slight chance they may interfere with the aileron movement?
Is anyone flying without them, or does anyone have views about them in terms of their practical use?
Thanks
Feb 26, 2017, 07:33 AM
Thread OP
what is the canalyser. I never put the vortex generators or side force generators as we may call them, I think they are for doing knife edge flight better.
Feb 26, 2017, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc39
what is the canalyser. I never put the vortex generators or side force generators as we may call them, I think they are for doing knife edge flight better.
Hello Scott, it is the canopy upper wing, It is the little wing on top of the fuse.Some refer to it as a canalyser- why I don't know.
That is supposed to make the rudder a lot more effective, but I don,t like the look of it.
The V G s on the end of the wings are what I am asking about, and I just wondered how many use them . I,ve seen one or two Sebarts which don.t seem to have them, so I thought they were not essential?
Feb 26, 2017, 04:21 PM
Thread OP
ok the wing on top is what I thought you were talking about, I didn't like mine either and cut the ends off after a few flights, as far as the side force generator's I never put them on.
Mar 07, 2017, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc39
ok the wing on top is what I thought you were talking about, I didn't like mine either and cut the ends off after a few flights, as far as the side force generator's I never put them on.
If you never want to knife edge loop, go right ahead. It will still knife edge fine without that stuff...but pulling the bottom out of the loop is where the cantalizer wing and side generrators help.

If anyone wants to mail me their un-wanted Cantilizer, I suppose I could use a spare. I glued mine on though...it won't ever come off.
Aug 07, 2017, 09:36 PM
To Rex or not Rex that's the question. Hope to grab mine tomorrow.
Do I use an RC PAC or rely on the bec. Had bad experience with BECs so I'm gun shy, she's a big bird. Plan on flying with 6s 4000 packs.

Is the CG at 160 or 185...?
Aug 19, 2017, 12:52 PM

Servo Issues

Hello Guys,

I have about 20 flights on the plane now so I feel I can comment its flight characteristics. I fly a 6S 5000mAh battery, stock prop with the top wing on and the CG at Factory recommendations. Maneuvers a predictable and stable the only thing I find is that the servos do not center consistently. Has anyone had this issue? Has any one changed out the servos? If so what brand and Model did you use. Don't get me wrong, its a great plane for the money, but I find that I really could use a more consistent centering.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Mef4ud
Aug 21, 2017, 07:35 AM
Hitec has some suitable servos that drop in, but I need to find details later. Getting ready for the eclipse w/family, etc. ........Later

OK, Hitec HS5085MG $39.99

SPECIFICATIONS (Tower Hobbies)
Metal gears
Aluminum output gear
Shock protected POT
L: 29mm x W: 13mm x H: 30mm (1.14" x 0.51" x 1.18")
Transit: 0.17 sec/60 (4.8V) 0.13 sec/60 (6.0V)
Torque @ 4.8V: 3.6 kg-cm, (50.0 oz-in)
@ 6.0V: 4.3 kg-cm, (59.71 oz-in)
Weight: 21.9g (0.77o
Last edited by Garyss; Aug 21, 2017 at 07:17 PM.
Oct 10, 2017, 07:29 AM
Just getting my ready for it's madin. 185 seams so far back.... 165 balance pretty spot on with battery in tray and all centered up. Whats right? For 185 I'll need to add weight or hang the battery party off the tray...
manual 185
Flyer notes 165

Confused...
Oct 13, 2018, 01:59 AM
Has anyone got the new version that just came into the uk fitted with XT60
plug
Oct 14, 2018, 04:39 PM
I purchased a Olympus earlier this year and it came with EC5 connectors. Purchased from Motion RC ----U.S.A.
Aug 25, 2019, 03:56 AM
Got this plane in a trade with Eflite Power 60 400kv motor. Since I have a HK NTM 500kv (v1) motor at hand, replaced the Eflite motor. Now fitted with APC 14x10 prop, very pleased with the speed and unlimited vertical.
Since I am very new to pattern flying, felt very bizzare as the Olympus will STAY LEVEL flight if I turn her into knify position, unlike all the planes I flew which would lose altitude. Essentially knife edge without rudder input!

Will post video soon tomorrow.
Last edited by edwen303; Aug 25, 2019 at 04:05 AM.
Sep 24, 2019, 06:42 PM
Is this the official thread for this plane? I'm interested in buying one but I'm a bit surprised there's only 5 pages of discussion over as many years. Does that mean it has no enthusiastic following, or just no problems?

Is there anything better at the same price point for pattern flying and simple aerobatics (knife edge loops, rolling loops, rolling circles)?

ETA: How wide are the horizontal stabs and are they easily removeable, or a permanent fit? I'm trying to figure out if this will fit in my car.
Last edited by Andrew73; Sep 24, 2019 at 08:46 PM.
Sep 28, 2019, 08:30 PM
I am trying my second one after crashing the first due to ?...…..radio problems, I think. I have switched radio brands with a significant upgrade so I hope it goes better. For more information here in RC groups please go to the F3A forum and do a forum search on "Olympus". Click on: https://www.rcgroups.com/f3a-pattern-731/ There are several threads on the Olympus with various topics so that is why I suggest you do the search

In addition to the above there is an other site which I will not name for an older discussion: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/elec...a-olympus.html

Also while MotionRC carried it they also had a forum (Hobby Squawk) on the Olympus. You may have to join to read, but I don't think so: https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...5-wingspan-pnp

You could also read a few brief reviews at the Horizon Hobby site: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...00mm-p-fmm067p

I flew my first Olympus about 3-4 times and it was just a great flying smooth model. I did swap out the servos for some Hitec's on my second one as recommended by an old pattern flier. I don't know about the non-pattern capabilities of the Olympus but for entertainment purposes you might watch this interesting YouTuber:
FMS OLYMPUS Torque roll (4 min 50 sec)

Quick Reply