Jul 27, 2015, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604
Thanks Jim will let you know.
Jim, we found a way to ship an Explorer to a US address then it will be picked up from the border. Will order Explorer from you (Diamond) when he makes final decision. Thanks much for your offer.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2015, 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604
Jim, we found a way to ship an Explorer to a US address then it will be picked up from the border. Will order Explorer from you (Diamond) when he makes final decision. Thanks much for your offer.
You are welcome. We ship to U.S. addresses all the time and the beauty is free shipping to the lower 48, so you save, though you do have to drive to pick it up.

Jim
Jul 31, 2015, 09:03 AM

FMS Olympus CofG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Hobby
If you read the spec's on the FMS or Diamond Hobby web page the CG is 185 mm from leading edge at the fuselage

Jim
Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply, however I received the following from support at FMS.

Dear Terry :

Sorry for the late reply ,regarding the C.G. for 1400mm F3A airplane ,we always suggest 150 to 160 mm on our instruction manual ,pls kindly noted .
But some customer will have special request for their market ,may I ask where did you buy this airplane ?

Thanks
Melody
--
Web: www.fmsmodel.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/fmsmodel

Unquote

Now totally confused !
Jul 31, 2015, 10:08 AM
Thread OP
ya 2 different answers here me confused to.
Jul 31, 2015, 06:27 PM

Parts arrived from China. Back together

My Olympus is back together with a new fuse and canopy.

Set the C of G at 157mm, the same as before. Two test flights today. A couple of click of left aileron trim and down elevator and it was tracking perfectly. Flies really well for me with the C of G at 157mm.

Dave
Oct 29, 2016, 03:20 PM
Up, Up & hopefully away!!
Need some help!

I'm finishing assembling the FMS F3A and I'm having some questions pertaining to the battery tray and canopy/ hatch. I'm using the Zippy Compact 6S 4000mah 40C battery that measures appox 6" X 2". With the battery tray all the way back and in the "locked" position, I'm unable to close the canopy due to the two "guides" that are molded onto it's bottom hit the battery. Also the CG in the manual states 185mm.
So my questions are:

1. have any of you trimmed those molded foam guides from the bottom of the hatch/canopy?

2. There seems to be only one position where the battery tray locks into the rail. Moving the tray forward and not being locked, will the battery move even though it's secured to the battery tray?

3. Where have you found the battery's position to be related to the CG?

Everything went to together so easily that maybe I'm missing something when it comes to the battery & it's position.

I'll be grateful for any and all input.
Oct 30, 2016, 04:59 AM
Thread OP
the plane went together very fast for me to, nothing missed.

wow those batteries are big, I don't think it will hurt to trim the molded foam guides from the bottom of the hatch/canopy to fit your packs.

my batteries are velcroed in place and have not moved in flight

I have marks on my wings for the CG at 140/160 , I have a mark for the battery that is closer to the 160 mm mark and I get a good CG there

this was talk that the CG was set in the manual a bit conservative. start with say the 140mm and work from there to be safe.
Oct 30, 2016, 05:41 AM
Scott ~ what size battery are you using and what are their dimensions?

Are you using the battery tray? If so, is it in the locked position?

Thanks for the info and help!!

I remeasured the battery and it's 5.75" X 2". I looked at some of the other manufactures and they were all about the same size, give or take a 1/4".
Last edited by flboy286; Oct 30, 2016 at 06:07 AM.
Oct 30, 2016, 09:53 AM
Thread OP
I am using 3300 mah and the tray is locked down
Oct 30, 2016, 10:41 AM
I realized after communicating with Scott, that my battery does fit between those foam molded guides under the canopy. They're snug, but they fit.

Thanks again for your help Scott!!!
Last edited by flboy286; Oct 30, 2016 at 10:48 AM.
Nov 08, 2016, 12:30 PM
I've been flying the F3A for a week or two now and have about dozen flights on her. I've been noticing that it would drop a wing if I was turning slowly, which would have easily put her into a spin. It just didn't feel right. So for shiits and giggles, I removed the Upper Wing and it no longer dropped a wing while turning slowly. It was also move stable in slow passes, which it also would drop a wing.

Has anyone else(Scott) experienced this?
Nov 08, 2016, 01:44 PM
Thread OP
John if you recall i had damaged the upper wing so most of it has been gone after the 1st flight, so i never had a chance to notice the wing dropping , still a great plane tho.
Nov 09, 2016, 04:04 PM
Scott ~ I had one of our better fliers check out the F3A and he found that the rudder was not centering. It would either stay a little left or right depending on the turn. One his first flight at take-off, the plane yawed to the right and then flew on it's edge(same thing happened to me). So he landed and after looking over the entire plane, he found that all of the servos gears had slop in them, which of course would not allow the rudder to recenter after turning. Fortunately he has 4 good quality servos @ home that he'll install. Of course I'll buy lunch the next time out
Nov 09, 2016, 04:46 PM
Thread OP
ya come to think of it my OLYMPUS will yaw or pull to the right if I take off to much like a scale plane.
Nov 11, 2016, 11:26 AM
Scott ~ my friend replaced the rudder servo with a good quality futaba servo. We tested it on the ground and it came back to center from either direction. He took off and it still wanted to yaw to the right even after adding some left rudder/yaw. I told him that I thought it flew better w/o the upper wing attached, so we removed it. Prior to taking off he removed the left trim so that the rudder was centered. He took-off and there was no yaw to the right. He flew it through a number of circuits and it flew spot-on. The upper wing is straight and he put a meter on it and it was within specs. I'm surprised that others haven't reported any problems with it wanting to yaw to the right.

I put a fresh battery in and had a great flight. No right yaw, no wing dropping at slow turn speeds. Just a nice clean plane. So I'll just leave the upper wing off and enjoy her. She does fly nice w/o it :-)

Quick Reply