Jun 24, 2015, 04:30 AM
Thread OP
Ya landing on a calm day can be a bit on the hot side if you don't watch out.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2015, 02:57 PM
flyinbill1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bowes
The stab on my Olympus was not quite parallel to the wing. I tried to shim the mounting piece for the stab and got it better, pretty close now. There appears to be a very slight twist in the fin (I didn't notice it but one of the other guys did) that required a few clicks of rudder trim. After 13 flights I am very happy with the way my plane flies.

My biggest complaint is that the dark blue on the bottom of the fuse and the red on the bottom of the wing makes it appear very dark and somewhat difficult for me to see the plane's orientation. It helped me to add some white paint to the bottom of the main wing and the small upper wing. Next I am going to try some white on the bottom of the fuse.

Dave

Dave, I originally purchased my Olympus from Diamond Hobby in Tallahassee, Florida. I contacted Jim Ogorek, who is the Operations Manager of Diamond, and I sent to him a photo of my Olympus twisted fuselage to prove that it was indeed twisted with the tail leaning the same direction as the stab. He immediately sent me a new straight fuselage with a return label to ship back the twisted fuselage. One other thing, Jim said that he had not heard of anyone else who had a twisted fuselage and it was not normal for an Olympus fuselage to be twisted. However, worth noting, the manufacture's defect warrantee is 30 days from the date of purchase. But, after 30 days, Diamond Hobby will consider a manufacturer defect on a case-by-case basis. I suggest that those who have twisted fuselages to contact the store they bought it from and inform them of the twist, if for nothing else to let FMS know about the quality of their product. Maybe they will add some quality control to guard against twisted fuselages. It may be worth a try anyway.
As pattern pilots know, it is very important to have a straight plane, because if isn't straight, there will have to be programming mixes to help it fly better.
I agree with an earlier comment above that the plane colors are hard to see top and bottom. I think I will add some white and black contrasting color to the bottom of the wing and white to the top, or something like that. Something has to be done to make the plane easier to see in the sky.
Jul 04, 2015, 08:15 PM

Setup

How easily is the wing installed at the field? This plane is just a little too big to fit in my car.

Thanks!!
Jul 05, 2015, 05:48 AM
Thread OP
http://www.diamondhobby.com/airplane...mm-f3a-olympus
here is the page for the manual its not the worst to take off and put on but I just leave my wings on for transporting.
Jul 06, 2015, 07:32 AM

FMS Olympus CofG

Quote:
I am over 20 flights now. CofG back a couple of more mm to about 157 to 158. Extended rudder servo arm to get more rudder throw for stall turns. Also programmed a throttle curve to help me get it slowed down for landings: 14% throttle at 25% stick, 39% at 50 and 72% at 75. Helps.

Dave
Hi Dave,
I've recently finished assembly of my Olympus but my manual states CofG should be 180 to 190mm . when viewed this seems along way back and more than 50% of chord.

Which manual is correct 150-160mm or 180-190mm.
Jul 17, 2015, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Flyer
Hi Dave,
I've recently finished assembly of my Olympus but my manual states CofG should be 180 to 190mm . when viewed this seems along way back and more than 50% of chord.

Which manual is correct 150-160mm or 180-190mm.
If you read the spec's on the FMS or Diamond Hobby web page the CG is 185 mm from leading edge at the fuselage

Jim
Jul 20, 2015, 08:39 PM

C of G

I was running about 158mm. It would roll nicely without dropping the nose.
Unfortunately I crashed the plane a couple of weeks ago and it isn't fixable. I need a new fuse but no one in Canada has parts. Ordering one from Diamond or Motion results in shipping and brokerage cost of about $150.
Still looking for a solution.
Jul 21, 2015, 04:04 AM
Thread OP
buy a new kit/arf
Jul 22, 2015, 09:27 AM
Quote:
I was running about 158mm. It would roll nicely without dropping the nose.
Unfortunately I crashed the plane a couple of weeks ago and it isn't fixable. I need a new fuse but no one in Canada has parts. Ordering one from Diamond or Motion results in shipping and brokerage cost of about $150.
Still looking for a solution.
PM me your complete mail to address. Let me see what we can do about the shipping cost.

Jim
Jul 22, 2015, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Hobby
PM me your complete mail to address. Let me see what we can do about the shipping cost.

Jim
Hello Jim,

I have a clubmate who saw my Explorer F3A prototype last Sunday. He wants one. AFAIK this model is not available in Canada. What is your lowest shipping cost to Vancouver, BC, Canada?
Thanks
Jul 23, 2015, 01:43 PM
Using the Fairmont hotel address in Vancouver, 900 Canada Place Way, Vancouver, British Columbia V6C 3L5, Canada.

$44.11 USD Using USPS Priority International Mail
Jul 23, 2015, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Using the Fairmont hotel address in Vancouver, 900 Canada Place Way, Vancouver, British Columbia V6C 3L5, Canada.

$44.11 USD Using USPS Priority International Mail

Is that $149.99 plus $44.11?
Jul 24, 2015, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604
Is that $149.99 plus $44.11?
That is correct.

Jim
Jul 24, 2015, 02:28 PM
Quote:
That is correct.

Jim
Thanks Jim will let you know.
Jul 25, 2015, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the offer Jim.
I had previously checked on the Diamond web site but because of the oversize box the costs were also very high.
I was eventually able to order parts directly from FMS. They use international EMS mail shipping which is more reasonable. I should have the parts next week. It appears that only the US post office has the size limitations. If the parts were available in Canada the Canadian post office would deliver them for about $25.

Have you ever had any problems with the ailerons on the Olympus?
When I got my plane they were so stiff that the servos couldn't move them. I fixed this by removing the "flexible" material dumped along the hinge line. But after my crash both were partially torn off. Wonder why FMS doesn't use real hinges? I am putting the ailerons back on with Mylar hinges.

Have you ever had any servos fail? My rudder servo has a stripped plastic gear. FMS claims metal gears but 3 are plastic and 3 are metal. The plastic one that drives the metal gear failed.

Dave

Quick Reply