Jun 08, 2004, 11:22 AM
TeamZiering
Thread OP

Reworking a Pack with a bad cell...

I have a 14 Cell 2600mah Pack that was involved in a SERIOUS crash. One of the cells was punctured, and went nuts. So I have this end to end pack that has a bad cell RIGHT in the middle. Can it be saved? (HOW?!) I can't see a soldering iron fitting between these cells.

-Josh
to remove ads between posts
Jun 08, 2004, 12:58 PM
eflyguy
Sticks of end-to-end soldered cells will break apart quite easily if cooled first. Put it in the freezer for a little while, or the fridge overnight, then put the stick on the edge of a table with the joint you want to break at the edge. Give it a quick snap, and it will come apart.
..a
Jun 08, 2004, 01:51 PM
Electric Flyer
I do exactly that but I don't refrigerate them. Once broken, use a good iron and solder the new one in....
BUT.....discharge the pack first.......
Jun 08, 2004, 03:16 PM
TeamZiering
Thread OP
Does one bad cell ruin all the other cells?

GREAT information guys, You probably saved me 80 bucks.

-Josh
Jun 09, 2004, 03:05 PM
Electric Flyer
No....if the cell opens the pack draws no current.....If it shorts internally, it just shorts that cell.
Jun 10, 2004, 11:33 PM
If it floats....sail it!
What about the difference with putting a new cell or cells that has only been slow charged at C/10 and cycled 5 times in with cells that have 30+ cycles on them?

I just added two new cells to an older KAN 1050 8-cell pack to make it 10 cells, and I am wondering what it will do to the pack.

FoamCrusher
Jun 10, 2004, 11:35 PM
TeamZiering
Thread OP
This pack had about 3 cycles on it.

-Josh
Jun 11, 2004, 05:51 AM
eflyguy
The cells could get out of balance and you'd end up damaging more cells in the pack.
3 cycles probably won't make much of a difference, however..
..a

Quick Reply