Nov 15, 2015, 09:00 PM
Thread OP
I had mine exactly where Seagull recommended. I feel this important on any model that may be reviewed as the reader must be able to trust the manufacturer (if it is right!). My tame test pilot Stephen is an infinitely better flier than I but after the first flight thought it spot on and my comments about his flight is in the review.

I didn't put any lead in the nose but I did put two 2000 mAh receiver in parallel (not needed for power but if weight was needed why not make it useful?).

The Bucker is interesting in that it will potter around in a very stable, smooth manner at just over 1/2 throttle but can be thrown around quite briskly on full chat which suits me.

As an aside, So far I have found that all Seagull models I've tried have flown very well set up as per the manual. I have heard the odd comments regarding other types on this site but then I can only make observations for my stuff. I believe that as a flier I am adequate and safe but no "expert". If it is any help I don't crash too often!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 16, 2015, 03:39 AM
The Sequel
Thank you David, my spacewalker too is set at seagulls recommendation, so I shall continue to follow the trend. Good info is gold
Nov 20, 2015, 09:11 PM
The Sequel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400xp View Post
Just maddened the Jungmeister! The plane flew very well but it was still tail heavy being balanced around 165mm. I'm using. DLE20ra with also about 9oz of weight in the nose. Rudder is very sensitive along with the elevator, I hade to use about 45% expo on the elevator to really smooth it out. Roll was quit nice but you definitely have to couple rudder with the ailerons. I modded the servo tray with supports braces and I replaced the giant horrid 2x4 struts on the wing. All in all the plane is absolutely beautiful in the air, the dle20 does not over power it but I really don't want it to have unlimited vertical. I'd have to say the DLE20 is a great match for the plane. Lastly I replaced the wheels with 4.5" low bounce wheels. I forget the manufacturer. If your thinking about it, get it. Oh, I did repaint the cowl, the real one did not have the red accents.
However reading back I see this report. 400xp, r you still flyingvforward of the quoted 180m? And did you fly without the rigging, n may I ask exactly what tube you used to make your struts. I am waiting on some, 3\4 inch k&s streamline, if it suits I may try n remake mine too. Spending a bit of time with the bucker now, my servo tray came loose while running the engine, which is going great, so more extra ply. Lots of loctite today, decals done, cowl ring half remade, will use dubro cowl attachment, waiting on those too. So still not ready but with every little job, a little bit closer
Jan 24, 2016, 11:39 PM
The Sequel
Fast forward from the last post, yesterday my bucker maiden went ahead finally with out any issueBig smiles here cant wait to get out again
Jan 25, 2016, 09:06 AM
Can we have a flight report?
Jan 25, 2016, 04:38 PM
The Sequel
Well of course, where do I start. Being from an electric background, n only coming to the hobby in the last five years, the os22 is my first i\c engine. But as my friend beside me said, its just a chainsaw engine. Well that morning for the first time it wasn't going to start, head scratch n very uncharacteristic. So back home n the moment lost, one last thought, give it full throttle, n bang, it fired, a little flooded. Ok, relax warm the engine, adjust throttle trim, happy as can be.
Bit of a bounce from side to side, our field is a little agricultural, some tail wag n we r away. I let it climb out abit away from me n banked back towards us. Heaps of throw, fine, required 5-6 clicks of ail, n all's good. I'm keeping the air speed up mostly n it is tracking great. A few simple aerobatics n again heaps of control. A don't use duel rates n am happy to fly around the centre of the stick, so I don't mind too much, but some adjustment will occur as I continue to fly.
So my first landing is pretty good, albeit a bit hot ideally. I'm using a light wooden prop n my engine is new, so rpm is kept up for fear of stopping, two more landings much the same n then turning for final quite high up engine stops, well moment of truth for me, luckily in the perfect position really I finish the turn n float it in for probably the softest of the four landings. Too much fun, not even a thought of refuelling, bloody hell, timers were set n my fellow i\c flyer standing next to me apologising for not speaking up, but alls well that ends well.
My friend said I'm going to have some fun with this plane, and that the motor will only get better, there is a little list of adjustments in my head but for a first flight it flew as well as expected. And as long as it holds together I see many fights ahead
Jan 25, 2016, 09:29 PM
Sounds like you hated every minute of it. Cheers, Joe
Feb 11, 2016, 03:57 PM
Hey guys.

I've been working on mine for a couple days now. I was looking at the cowl and reading about having to add weight with a DLE-20 (my original plan) so I decided why not do a radial! Scale!

The Evolution 735 fits like it was made for this plane!
Feb 11, 2016, 07:17 PM

My Bucker Bu-133

From the land 'downunder' I would like to add my Seagull Bucker Jungmiester assembly process to this thread - where to start - I found quite a few errors/mistakes in the assembly manual starting with the cowl.

My first job is usually to mount the engine and cowl and following the manual I mounted the cowl in the wrong position with two cylinders either side of the top position - wrong - I should have done more research first - the Seimens Halske engine has one engine cylinder at top dead centre.

The manual shows the cylinder push rods beside each other instead of one behind the other so I cut the bottom from a plastic container, glued it to the cowl front and placed the push rods behind each other.

The Saito engine shown in the manual showed a lot of the cowl had to be cut away for the head and exhaust - my O.S. 120 is angle mounted and only one small cutout for the exhaust was needed.

When I work out how to post photos in this thread I'll upload some to show my assembly methods - any advice on which 'button' to click on would be welcome - cheers - maxiemac
Feb 12, 2016, 05:44 AM
The Sequel
@Sessholvlaru, wow, how perfect is that picnot sure about needing extra nose weight though, i added none with the os22. A little tail weight shouldnt hurt though? So what prop n rpm with the 735?
@maxiemac, sorry your cowl wasnt right to begin, look forward to seeing some pics
Feb 12, 2016, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
@Sessholvlaru, wow, how perfect is that picnot sure about needing extra nose weight though, i added none with the os22. A little tail weight shouldnt hurt though? So what prop n rpm with the 735?
@maxiemac, sorry your cowl wasnt right to begin, look forward to seeing some pics
I'll be using an 18x8 prop (the one pictured is a 17x6). Xoar has a cool laminated WWI style prop that I ordered.
Feb 13, 2016, 05:58 AM
The Sequel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sessholvlaru View Post
I'll be using an 18x8 prop (the one pictured is a 17x6). Xoar has a cool laminated WWI style prop that I ordered.
Being able to turn a big prop will be fun, which did you order, the lance, sabre? I am flying 15x10 pjd laminated xoar, which is a bit much pitch, but the recommended break in at this stage, i think 16x7-8 will be right for the my engine

Your paint job is different from mine too?
Last edited by mustflynow2; Feb 13, 2016 at 06:06 AM.
Feb 13, 2016, 10:34 AM
I went with the Axial prop. Mine is the second scheme Seagull released. It's modeled after Bevo Howard's Bucker.
Feb 13, 2016, 02:30 PM
The Sequel
Very nice, but nothing smaller than 18 inch diameter, is it true the Bevo plane was Alex Papana's plane. I think i read that a while back when looking into the bucker
Edit, here http://www.bevhoward.com/Buecker.htm
Perhaps a better way to phrase is ' the Papana plane became the bevo plane'
Last edited by mustflynow2; Feb 16, 2016 at 03:35 PM.
Feb 17, 2016, 01:55 AM
I hope I've got the hang of this - 3 pics, one shows the cowl in its correct position to be mounted to the airframe - the ring around the centre was cut from the base of a plastic container, glued in place and the engine pushrods inserted one behind the other as shown in the real engine photo as used in the real airplane (2nd pic).

The correct cowl shape of the original airplane is shown in pic 3 - the cowl for the model looks to be based on a new cowl that had to be made after the original YR-PAX airplane was crashed in the US and rebuilt - this airplane is now shown in a US museum with a different color scheme of red and white check and stripes with US registration - I'll add more later - cheers - maxiemac

Quick Reply