Apr 11, 2015, 01:29 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Seagull Bucker Jungmeister

I'm a bit slow on this one but it is not a five minute assembly job however this Seagull effort looks as if it will be fun.

Basic Specs are:
Span - 65"
Length - 57.8"
Weight - 11 pounds'
Wing area - 1240 sq. in
Although aimed at .90 - 1.20 I'm proposing to use 8S and a 16" prop

The photo just shows very basic assembly but there is a reasonable amount to do and I'm in no rush.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2015, 02:30 PM
AMA 34191
I've had my eyes on this one too. The Jungmeister has been one of my favorite planes ever since I built the old Pilot Models Jungmeister .25 way back when!

Subbed.
Apr 11, 2015, 08:40 PM
Thread OP
The kit is good. Huge amounts of space inside the fus'. Some minor irritations but that is what they are rather than issues although I'd pay more for none.

Strange that Seagull hadn't provided an electric conversion kit which they have done with quite a few kits but once again nothing too hard.

With sunburst underneath and chequers on top even I should notice which way up it is.

My testing gives me around 1300 watts for the motor I'm proposing to use at under 50 amps but if I really think it needs more I'll re-motor and use 10S. Certainly weight and space is not likely to give problems.
Apr 16, 2015, 06:57 PM
Here is my completed Jungmiester. I did replace the fat supports with 1/8" aluminum, which I drilled and tapped for the mounts to the wing and the rigging. I also took the time to do a more detailed cockpit with instrumentation.
Apr 16, 2015, 10:47 PM
What is the quality of the kit like? I almost bought one in Toledo.
Apr 17, 2015, 12:43 AM
Thread OP
Martin,
Because I'm taking a brief break (holiday) I'm not working on the Bucker just at the moment but will get back into it ASAP soon. Like you there are several areas where I want to "improve" things. I felt the pilot and instrument panel were a bit toy like so the pilot
got a repaint and the intrument panel is going to be re-done completely.

I have to be careful how much I do first time round as this is a review model. Just like you I wasn't excited by the overly thick struts and will undoutedly attack those but I do like yours. Have a look on your browser images as the full size version had several make overs so
some mods could make it a bit closer to one of those.

mistairjoe,
I think the kit is good value but as I said even though there are a few very minor irritations but I'm yet to find an ARF that doesn't have
any. Don't know what price is like in the US but straight retail here in Oz is roughly double that of many foamies. The hardware is pretty good and remember it is a big model for your bucks.

I had a good look around the framework which appeared well done and sound throughout so there was only one area which caused me any doubt. This was the 1/8th ply support for the cowl. As the cowl is bulky and likely to be draggy I added some stiffening to that support and yes, that will be in the review.
Last edited by David Hipperson; Apr 17, 2015 at 09:15 AM.
Apr 17, 2015, 09:48 AM
AMA 34191
The instrument panel and pilot look great!
Apr 27, 2015, 07:27 PM
The kit has an huge interior and was an easy conversion to electric. It is a Rimfire 1.60 operating on 5000mah 8S.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:30 PM
Talk about over kill. I am using a 1.60 in my giant scale TP FW 190 on 12 S.
Apr 30, 2015, 09:24 PM
It is swinging a 18x10 apc, and is an easy 10 minute flight, here at 10 ft above sea level.
May 01, 2015, 08:26 AM
Could you give us a flight report?
Jun 03, 2015, 11:54 PM
Hi Group, I have just finished building the kit for a friend of mine and flew it yesterday in light wind conditions. First of all the servo tray. The tray came loose whilst assembling and this was fixed by glueing two 4mm beams across the fuselage and at the front and back of the tray. Since I placed the engine ( SC 120 four stroke) at 45 degrees with the silencer protruding from the bottom, the throttle pushrod was passed beneath the tank and battery tray and the servo was placed on another beam at the bottom of the fuselage.
Flying was quite straight forward but It seemed to be tail heavy and flying tail down with the position of the CG as stated, and it was reluctant to turn to the right although using right rudder so this will be rectified by increasing right side thrust and some lead in the nose. Hope to fly it soon and keep you updated.
Jun 20, 2015, 09:25 PM
hello.......im about to pull the trigger on this seagull kit. are there any updated flight reports???
also, how was its quality??
TIA
rbt in mke
Jun 26, 2015, 01:41 AM
Thread OP
Well, I'm sorry for the absence but I'm finally back and have flown the Jungmeister just today. I got my tame test pilot Stephen to do the first flight and it was only a click away from being in trim all the way around. After a few first gentle passes Stephen put it through loops, rolls, snaps and knife edge all without a problem. My flight was a little less exciting but my own aeros kept me happy and satisfied.

Set up is a Himark 5030/310, Jeti Advance 70 ESC, 16 X 7 Turnigy wooden prop and 8S 5000. In this form the set up does roughly 1300 watts at 44amps. The model came out at almost spot on 6kg (13 pounds). The lipo pack weighs in at a kilo. Trust me when I say there is plenty of power for verticals and I could do a 45 degree climbing slow roll without hassle.

So it has turned out to be a nice flyer although I'd love it if they had done a sprung main undercarriage so perhaps that could be a project for me if I can keep it in one piece.
Last edited by David Hipperson; Jun 26, 2015 at 06:31 AM.
Jun 28, 2015, 08:15 PM
hello david, congrads on the maiden!
one quick question. did you use the factory recommended CG of 180mm??
TIA
robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson View Post
Well, I'm sorry for the absence but I'm finally back and have flown the Jungmeister just today. I got my tame test pilot Stephen to do the first flight and it was only a click away from being in trim all the way around. After a few first gentle passes Stephen put it through loops, rolls, snaps and knife edge all without a problem. My flight was a little less exciting but my own aeros kept me happy and satisfied.

Set up is a Himark 5030/310, Jeti Advance 70 ESC, 16 X 7 Turnigy wooden prop and 8S 5000. In this form the set up does roughly 1300 watts at 44amps. The model came out at almost spot on 6kg (13 pounds). The lipo pack weighs in at a kilo. Trust me when I say there is plenty of power for verticals and I could do a 45 degree climbing slow roll without hassle.

So it has turned out to be a nice flyer although I'd love it if they had done a sprung main undercarriage so perhaps that could be a project for me if I can keep it in one piece.

Quick Reply