May 18, 2015, 01:05 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenCharlie
We only distribute the X350 to two other sellers. I called both of them and found out who you bought it from. They already looked into the item and said that it works perfectly fine. The issue was that you didn't have the throttle trim centered. They said that it was set at about 2-3 clicks before full up. They mentioned that they'll test fly the unit briefly to make sure it works and then will try to have it sent back out to you by the end of today or tomorrow morning.
Yes, I just got the email from him. Sounds like a close-knit community out there, probably a good thing. Yes, pretty embarrassing that it was throttle trim. Some of my most difficult problems with planes have ended up that way too

He did fly it and it flew great he said, whew, glad that was all it was...word to everyone else...check your throttle trim...it should be centered.

I do remember playing around with the trim AFTER I couldn't get it to startup after the first initial startup that went fine. Oh well, I'm sure it was my fault in the final analysis. I'll be happy to keep on testing it once I get it back in my hands!

Russ

P.S. I won't mention the supplier's name since this in Raiden Charlie's thread but he was very responsive and I consider him a "HERO"
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2015, 01:11 PM
Quote:
We only distribute the X350 to two other sellers. I called both of them and found out who you bought it from. They already looked into the item and said that it works perfectly fine. The issue was that you didn't have the throttle trim centered. They said that it was set at about 2-3 clicks before full up. They mentioned that they'll test fly the unit briefly to make sure it works and then will try to have it sent back out to you by the end of today or tomorrow morning.
For all the 4 trims, it's should always be set in the center position. The latest manual did mention this so please download the latest manual on xheli.com
To set the trims to the center, please press one direction and look for beep, a chirp means it's traveling toward a direction, a long continuous beep means you have reached towards the end.
May 18, 2015, 01:58 PM

Operational Question

I plan on having the telemetry module and a Quanum FPV+ (5.8ghz tx built in) camera running at the same time.

Can I just put a Y-cable on the JST connector without compromising the electronics?
May 18, 2015, 03:11 PM
Thread OP
You should be able to connect a Y-cable to the JST connector with no issues. The JST connector that comes out of the quad is soldered directly onto the main power distribution board so it should affect anything.
May 18, 2015, 03:47 PM
Great thanks!
May 18, 2015, 05:54 PM
I am embarrassed because I have to admit having trims not set to center. As stated before, I have had problems arming and disarming the X350. I moved trim tabs to get it to respond. Once it did, I had erratic response from the sticks. I moved the trim tabs and got the long beep, which is not as loud as I would like. Please verify that there 12 clicks between endpoints. I set my trim tabs back 6 "clicks" from the long beep to center them. Is this correct?
May 18, 2015, 11:33 PM
Quote:
Double check to see if the SWA and SWC switch is in the correct position. If those are not in the 0 position the quadcopter will not arm. Also make sure the trims are centered. If that doesn't fix the issue then something inside the quadcopter has became loose. Do you hear any rattling coming from the inside of the quad if you give it a gentle shake?
All switches correct. Trims right. Nothing rattling. Not sure what to do...feel sorry for the guy because he really wants to be part of the hobby.

LM
May 19, 2015, 12:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGB
I am embarrassed because I have to admit having trims not set to center. As stated before, I have had problems arming and disarming the X350. I moved trim tabs to get it to respond. Once it did, I had erratic response from the sticks. I moved the trim tabs and got the long beep, which is not as loud as I would like. Please verify that there 12 clicks between endpoints. I set my trim tabs back 6 "clicks" from the long beep to center them. Is this correct?
When you're at the end of the trim the transmitter will constantly beep at you if you hold the trim tab to that direction. Once the trim is in the center it will make a beep that is not as loud as when you're cycling through them.

The factory doesn't recommend changing any of the trim settings. In the future shipments the trim tabs on the transmitter will no longer work. The black tabs will be press fitted into the transmitter and will no longer be able to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazermule
All switches correct. Trims right. Nothing rattling. Not sure what to do...feel sorry for the guy because he really wants to be part of the hobby.

LM
It might be best to return the unit back to us for inspection/repair. Can you check with your buddy for his order number for the unit so I can setup a return for his X350?
May 19, 2015, 06:46 PM
He was told it was a no go on the return because it's now "used"... kind of a bummer because he was so enthused with the hobby, now just pretty bummed.
May 19, 2015, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazermule
He was told it was a no go on the return because it's now "used"... kind of a bummer because he was so enthused with the hobby, now just pretty bummed.
I think what charlie meant was not return for refund. Return to xheli.com so he can take a look.
May 19, 2015, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveGB
Don't do it like this. You should press and hold the trim in any direction to reach its end point and then you will hear a long continuous beep as long as you are still holding down the trim, then you've reached the end point. Start pressing the trim the opposite direction until you head a beep. A chirp and a beep is very noticeable on the radio.
May 20, 2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks guys. I set the trims to center the way you described. The beeps and clicks were just as you indicated.
May 22, 2015, 11:40 AM
Thread OP
I noticed that the radio system for the X350 is somewhat particular and the transmitter and quad has to turned on within a second or two within each other. I noticed that sometimes if you have the transmitter turned on for a while and then you plug in the quadcopter it might not bind with each other.

I noticed this a couple days ago, I finished flying a pack and left the transmitter on and disconnected the battery to the quad and plugged in a charged pack. The transmitter would not arm the quad, I had to turn off the transmitter and replug the battery.

Also for the quad to fully initialize you have to hear it emit 3 beeps. If it beeps once or twice it will not initialize and arm.
May 23, 2015, 07:53 PM
RaidenCharlie,

The reason for my trim tabs not being centered was due to my X350 not wanting to arm. I started moving the tabs to one end then the other to see if the arm set point was screwed up. When it finally armed the tabs were out of adjustment. This may have been the reason why I had unexplained yaw problems at take off until I flipped into GPS mode. Your explanation of it being slow to arm or initialize more likely contributed to my problem. I still find my receiver board being loose for what it is worth.
May 24, 2015, 11:02 PM

Quad Back in the air

I got my quad back and flew it yesterday three times. Two times it flew flawlessly. I flew two batteries at least 15 minutes each coming back with about 3.8 per cell. I flew it pretty hard all around. I performed Return To Home several times and it landed within 3 feet at the most of takeoff spot. Once it was 6 inches away. Great. It is a fast quad and very responsive. GPS hold in heavy winds of ab out 15-20 mph was good. Altitude hold was good but it will drift easily with the wind. I tried headless mode once and it didn't do what I understood it was supposed to do. I flew straight out about 200 ft and about 40 feet altitude, engaged headless mode (still pointing straight at quad) and pulled back right stick and it went left instead of coming back to the transmitter??? This was on the second flight. I also flew circle mode twice and it was perfect.

On the third flight, I had significant trouble arming the quad. I had not touched the trims but I had left the TX on for a while. I unhooked the battery and tried to connect but no luck three times. I think it only beeped once. I finally turned off TX and unhooked battery and it then armed (one beep only, I think). The lights were solid green with GPS lock. I flew it out and tried to RTH and it moved up to 65 feet and then started moving left instead of back to me. I pulled back RTH switch and engaged it again and the quad started losing altitude. I then engaged GPS lock and it stopped and hovered. I started moving it back toward me and it began losing altitude pretty fast. I moved throttle to full and it gained about 20 feet. I pulled hard back to me and I barely got it back to the runway and landed it when it was too low on power to fly. Both red and green lights were flashing when I picked up the quad. I pulled the battery out of the quad and immediately checked with a battery checker...all cells were at 3.89. I was flying the battery that was enclosed with quad. It was the second flight of the day with the same battery. The first time was perfect with this battery.

I haven't flown since. One guess is that the battery might have a bad cell under load (I will check that tomorrow). The other is that there is an intermittent problem on the circuit board. I will fly another battery next time just to exclude that possibility.

I am not flying with a camera and won't put one on until I feel safe that the quad is going to operate as designed. I was flying with telemetry hardware even though it was not yet setup.

Will report more as I have more info...

Russ

Quick Reply