JKM RC Solutions Website Work - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by JulietKiloMike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 07, 2015, 02:07 PM
Build Log

JKM RC Solutions Website Work

I did some more work on the JKM RC Solutions website! The website was down for the last day and a half due to a broken PHP interpreter, but everything's fixed now (well, mostly fixed...the web host I'm using is still pretty crappy, so the webserver occasionally closes the connection without sending data...I'm planning to move the website to a better host soon). I've added a page for custom wiring builds and will be adding more products soon. Stay tuned!

I've also started a facebook page. It currently has one like (me...lol). I'd love it if you could give it a like

-John
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2015, 08:16 PM
Still down, time to switch to a more reliable host?
Apr 09, 2015, 12:55 AM
Argh! Well, I just checked it now and it seems to be up...it seems to fluctuate a lot :/

At least the host's email forwarding is reliable...but yeah, I should probably switch over as soon as I can. It's a bummer since I just got all the DNS stuff working for my current host
Apr 09, 2015, 06:37 AM
Is the domain registered through the same host? DNS settings are configured with the registrars usually, so should be just a replacement of the new host IP, CNAME and A records. Not much configuration needed.

Hey, one thing to look into if you are interested are packages from some of the big names e.g. Microsoft Azure, Google Domains which works seamlessly with Google Apps for small business, Amazon AWS. They are usually a bit more complicated to manage, but has lots of features that small/medium businesses find useful.

Have fun!
Apr 09, 2015, 02:10 PM
Thanks alphatex! Yeah, DNS settings were configured with GoDaddy...not that difficult, but just kinda confusing for a noob like me to figure out for the first time. Now that I have things working, I want to avoid messing things up

Interesting! Thanks for the suggestions...I hadn't heard about Google Domains before. It looks like their prices are on par with GoDaddy, my current registrar. Right now my business email sales@jkmrcsolutions.com actually forwards to a free gmail account (jkmcnellyenterprises@gmail.com), so I save an extra $5 / month My sales volume is pretty low ($50-$125 / month), so every buck counts!

-John
Apr 11, 2015, 10:39 AM
I finished partially migrating my website pver to AWS...I'm still working on image permissions, but the main chunk of the website is currently up and should be much more reliable ...wow! That was a lot of work :P

Http://jkmrcsolutions.com
Apr 11, 2015, 06:59 PM
I'm still having some issues with image file access, so I created a stack overflow to see if anyone knew the answer to the problem I'm having. Any ideas?
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...ng-image-files
Apr 11, 2015, 08:41 PM
What web server are you using on the EC2 instance? Apache? Can you post the error log? Should be located at /var/log/apache/error.log
Last edited by alphatex; Apr 11, 2015 at 08:47 PM.
Apr 12, 2015, 12:16 AM
I'm using an apache web server on a 64 bit linux server.

I did a short crash-course in linux and asked around on stackoverflow, so now things are figured out! I recursively granted read permissions on the images folder from the html subdirectory using "chmod a+r www/html/images -R" This is taking a while, but I'm learning so much more than if I just had to hit a few buttons on GoDaddy.

Look at the bootiful pictures, all with read access (woot!) http://jkmrcsolutions.com/images
Apr 12, 2015, 05:47 AM
That's fantastic! Learning is addictive isn't it? ��
Apr 12, 2015, 11:28 AM
Yes it is! Building an SQL database looks like it's gonna be a nightmare, but I'm sorta looking forward to it :P