Nice flying Bluhammer.
Such a fun plane isn't it?

Nice work avoiding those poles too.
Yikes!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2020, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coastie
What the heck I'll ask the obvious question first....

What batt, size, capacity, C Rating, how old and what are you using to check batt voltage?

Mark R.

old_coastie

P.S. This is 5 mins into the flight with my timer set to 6 mins running a 4S 2200 35C batt (when the batt was fairly new)

https://youtu.be/97cs7bnr9xQ
Mark
I using gen ace 3S 2600 45 C batts, it is 2 weeks old. I had about 6 flights tuning it, slow learner it guess.
I have about 10 more flights on it now, Iím using a RCToolKit watt meter. It flies GREAT, it just seems to be little underpowered. I can put it into a hover, Iím not a accomplished 3D pilot so Iím sure I am part of the problem, but it seems to slowly fall backwards (down) with almost full to full throttle. Iím about 4 mistakes high when I do this and I bought this plane to get better at hover and harrier flight. Watching the videos, like the one you posted, makes me wonder what I could have done wrong

Thanks
Terry
Oct 26, 2020, 10:07 AM
3s 2200 30c batt......Never gave plane full throttle on pullout or when going vertical.Hovering and harryingabout 40 to 60 percent. Batt 1 yr old.

QQ EXTRA 300 Low an Slow (3 min 10 sec)
Last edited by dalecheek1; Oct 26, 2020 at 10:14 AM.
Oct 26, 2020, 11:26 AM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerKing
Mark
I using gen ace 3S 2600 45 C batts, it is 2 weeks old. I had about 6 flights tuning it, slow learner it guess.
I have about 10 more flights on it now, Iím using a RCToolKit watt meter. It flies GREAT, it just seems to be little underpowered. I can put it into a hover, Iím not a accomplished 3D pilot so Iím sure I am part of the problem, but it seems to slowly fall backwards (down) with almost full to full throttle. Iím about 4 mistakes high when I do this and I bought this plane to get better at hover and harrier flight. Watching the videos, like the one you posted, makes me wonder what I could have done wrong

Thanks
Terry
Dang, I was hoping this would be easy... Old tired batt or trying to fly with to big or to small batt or something like that. No such luck.

So lets dig into the details. You say you have a wattmeter, I would be interested in the numbers you get when you do a static bench test with a freshly charged batt.

With the stock 3S setup Peak Watts should be around 300+, Peak Amps should be around 40 and Min Voltage should be above 10 volts at least..

What kind of flight time are you trying to get out of the QQ? Under moderate to heavy throttle usage on 3S flight times can be as short as 3 1/2 mins (at least with a 2200 mah). Which leads to the next question, when in the flight are you attempting the hovers? If it drops out of hover in the first minute or so of the flight then there is something wrong, if it falls out of hover after 3 mins or so then this is more an indication of inadequate batt performance..

Anyway happy to help and advise in any way I can...

Mark R.

P.S. The answer that you may receive from others is just to bite the bullet and go 4S, I love my QQ on 4S but dang it, I know this plane can fully deliver on 3S and going from 3S to 4S means a different motor and if you don't already have them 4S batts which can start adding up quickly.
Oct 26, 2020, 12:03 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Quote:
Dang, I was hoping this would be easy... Old tired batt or trying to fly with to big or to small batt or something like that. No such luck.

So lets dig into the details. You say you have a wattmeter, I would be interested in the numbers you get when you do a static bench test with a freshly charged batt.

With the stock 3S setup Peak Watts should be around 300+, Peak Amps should be around 40 and Min Voltage should be above 10 volts at least..

What kind of flight time are you trying to get out of the QQ? Under moderate to heavy throttle usage on 3S flight times can be as short as 3 1/2 mins (at least with a 2200 mah). Which leads to the next question, when in the flight are you attempting the hovers? If it drops out of hover in the first minute or so of the flight then there is something wrong, if it falls out of hover after 3 mins or so then this is more an indication of inadequate batt performance..

Anyway happy to help and advise in any way I can...

Mark R.

P.S. The answer that you may receive from others is just to bite the bullet and go 4S, I love my QQ on 4S but dang it, I know this plane can fully deliver on 3S and going from 3S to 4S means a different motor and if you don't already have them 4S batts which can start adding up quickly.
Mark,
Iíve been flying gen 1 and 2 Extras since 2015 and I always get about 3.5 minutes of mostly high throttle flying. You can get a feel of how much by watching my YouTube videos. I use pretty good quality Lipoís like the Flex Innovations 3s 2200mah 40c and above. They always come down very warm but never puffed and are usually at about 15-20% capacity. Iíll do a watt meter reading next time flying. Punch outs really require a lot of throttle. My Mamba 10 is even harder on 3s batteries. I just received a new Flex 4s motor to try in it.
Oct 26, 2020, 12:47 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer
Mark,
Iíve been flying gen 1 and 2 Extras since 2015 and I always get about 3.5 minutes of mostly high throttle flying. You can get a feel of how much by watching my YouTube videos. I use pretty good quality Lipoís like the Flex Innovations 3s 2200mah 40c and above. They always come down very warm but never puffed and are usually at about 15-20% capacity. Iíll do a watt meter reading next time flying. Punch outs really require a lot of throttle. My Mamba 10 is even harder on 3s batteries. I just received a new Flex 4s motor to try in it.
Blu,

You might not remember but you and I (and Dale) were among the earliest flyers and posters of the QQ 300, don't have any of the Gen 2 Flex planes (yet), but I have always respected your insights on this and many other threads on RCG. I might have been a little conservative in my earlier post concerning flight times on the QQ but given the OP's issue I didn't want to blow smoke up his skirt, Flex planes are designed by some of the most accomplished 3D flyers out there. What this means is that they design the power system to run out to edge of capability, and yeah things will come down warm, if they didn't then you would be carrying around weight/power that isn't being used and therefore is "dead weight".

I know that this isn't new info to you, but for new members to this thread they need to know that Flex planes will "eat up and spit out" less than optimum batts.

Warmest regards,

Mark R.
Oct 26, 2020, 12:48 PM
Mark,
I try to hover after about 1 to 1.5 minutes. I did put the watt meter on it but didnít check watts ...duh! I checked amps and was only pulling 24-25 at WOT with the stock prop, I thought I should be pulling more than that. My timer is set at 5 min 30 sec and I put back around 970-990mah so I could fly longer. I have 3 batteries I bought the same time I bought the plane and. They all perform the same. I will charge up a battery tonight and check watt, amps, and voltage On the bench
Oct 26, 2020, 12:55 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Mark,
I try to hover after about 1 to 1.5 minutes. I did put the watt meter on it but didnít check watts ...duh! I checked amps and was only pulling 24-25 at WOT with the stock prop, I thought I should be pulling more than that. My timer is set at 5 min 30 sec and I put back around 970-990mah so I could fly longer. I have 3 batteries I bought the same time I bought the plane and. They all perform the same. I will charge up a battery tonight and check watt, amps, and voltage On the bench
Terry,

First of all Blu feel free to jump in here also, 24 to 25 Amps just doesn't seem right at all....,. Standby while I go back and read your original post, be right back...
Oct 26, 2020, 12:56 PM
Mark,
I sent a note to flex support explaining my concerns and just heard back from Rocky, they are sending me out a new motor
Talk about superior customer service, way to go Flex Innovations
I will still check this motor tonight so we can check it against the new motor
Thanks
Terry
Oct 26, 2020, 01:04 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Quote:
Mark,
I sent a note to flex support explaining my concerns and just heard back from Rocky, they are sending me out a new motor
Talk about superior customer service, way to go Flex Innovations
I will still check this motor tonight so we can check it against the new motor
Thanks
Terry
And there you go.... Yeah still curious about Watt is going on (very intentional pun ) and Way to Go Flex team.... Yeah that 25 Amp reading was a major red flag just wasn't certain where the problem was. You didn't do anything wrong, and boy are you in for a surprise when this is resolved.

Keep us posted
Oct 26, 2020, 08:31 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
You’re right on the money Mark. I just ran mine up on an old Flex 3S 2200mah 45c battery from 2017.
The watt meter shows 44A / 430watts static. Seems right.
Terry Sumting wong! Houston we have a problem lol. Sounds like Flex is going to fix you up.
I do remember those old days buddy, I just don’t know where they went lol.
Last edited by Bluhammer; Oct 26, 2020 at 11:11 PM.
Oct 27, 2020, 05:25 AM
Mark and Blu
Fresh battery just off the charger
WOT 25.4 amps. 294 watts and 11.5 volts under load
Anxiously awaiting new motor arrival.

Thanks
Terry
Oct 27, 2020, 06:09 PM
"Some do, some don't"
Terry and Blu,

The strangest thought occurred to me, I'm sure Blu knows that Flex has recently come out with a line of 6S "speed" planes... Which got me wondering, is it remotely possible that Terry's plane wound up with a 6S motor? I'm not even sure what would happen if you powered a 6S designed motor with 3S power, I realize the obvious, that a 6S motor of the physical size as the 3S motor that comes with the QQ 300 would have to have a lower kv but that would/might explain the symptoms that Terrys power setup is showing.

Terry what are the markings on the motor, or share a pic...

Mark R.

On additional thought maybe it's a 4S wound motor that got labeled incorrectly?
Last edited by old_coastie; Oct 27, 2020 at 11:40 PM. Reason: On third thought
Oct 28, 2020, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Terry and Blu,

The strangest thought occurred to me, I'm sure Blu knows that Flex has recently come out with a line of 6S "speed" planes... Which got me wondering, is it remotely possible that Terry's plane wound up with a 6S motor? I'm not even sure what would happen if you powered a 6S designed motor with 3S power, I realize the obvious, that a 6S motor of the physical size as the 3S motor that comes with the QQ 300 would have to have a lower kv but that would/might explain the symptoms that Terrys power setup is showing.

Terry what are the markings on the motor, or share a pic...

Mark R.

On additional thought maybe it's a 4S wound motor that got labeled incorrectly?
Mark,
If that is the case, it is mislabeled
I thought maybe I got the 4S motor so I did check
But the label is correct.

Thanks
Terry
Oct 31, 2020, 04:20 PM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Very disappointed with the 4 S motor upgrade. Iím trying to convince myself thereís an improvement but not really. All my buddies were surprised too. Punch out is barely better than the stock 3S setup, with maybe a little better top end vertical. Bummer.
Maybe a different prop would help?

Quick Reply