Aug 27, 2015, 09:51 AM
Tom Para

Fail

I printed out right wing part 1. I am assuming we are printing with 2 shells, no infill,no top or bottom.
The pla specified is not available here in the states I assume.
I did buy Simplify3d and it is a nice program.
however my part came out so weak it split apart very easily and no way could it be used in a RC model.

Being a newbie in 3d printing I am not sure what filament would work..
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2015, 10:23 AM
Alchemist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Cincy
I printed out right wing part 1. I am assuming we are printing with 2 shells, no infill,no top or bottom.
The pla specified is not available here in the states I assume.
I did buy Simplify3d and it is a nice program.
however my part came out so weak it split apart very easily and no way could it be used in a RC model.

Being a newbie in 3d printing I am not sure what filament would work..
Tom,

I printed mined with a 2 layer thick "flange" on both ends, 5mm long and the body between at one layer 0.42mm thick. I used clear PLA from eBay, a company in Valley Stream NY, and the wing is amazingly strong. I printed the L2 panel for a test and I had to really bear sown with both hands to twist it enough to break.

S3D is a powerful tools but has a lot of things that can be tweaked. In a nutshell this is what I am running on a Rostock Max V2 with an E3D6V Hotend:

Line width 0.42mm
Layer Thickness 0.25mm
Traverse 250mm/sec
Print 100mm/sec
Extruded 220C
Heated Bed 90C
First Layer Thickness 90%
First Layer Speed 70%
Retraction 6mm
Retraction Speed 100mm/sec
Three layer fans @ 100%

I use three Processes in the Factory File. the first prints the base two perimeters thick for 5mm height, the second prints the body at 1 perimeter thick and the third prints the top 5mm at two perimeters thick. This forms a good glue flange on both ends.

I finished assembling my airframe last night and the wing is amazing light an stiff. The fuselage is okay but a little squishy along the width. I think that it would be helped greatly by adding a frame former on the end that contacts the bed on each section without the addition of a lot of weight.

Be glad to send my factory files to you if it helps.

gary
Aug 27, 2015, 10:42 AM
Tom Para
I would love to see your fff file. can you post it here?? I think you just have to rename the extension to a txt which I'll rename to fff.
Thanks
Aug 27, 2015, 02:18 PM
Stepan
Thread OP
Hi guys, great... and here is some videoguide links with basic setting which works (end flies), of course depends on your printer and filament (tune extrusion multiplier and so on)
https://youtu.be/NK6p72vLwfY?list=PL...Bc3SLutSZdfL5Y
https://youtu.be/TU7ML34qPcM?list=PL...Bc3SLutSZdfL5Y

Which printer do you use? thank you...
Aug 27, 2015, 02:46 PM
Alchemist
Quote:
I would love to see your fff file. can you post it here?? I think you just have to rename the extension to a txt which I'll rename to fff.
Thanks
I can, but it will be later tonight, I am at work now and the file is at home.
Aug 27, 2015, 03:44 PM
Tom Para
Hi Stepan . My 3d printer is a Prusa clone.
http://wanhaousa.com/products/duplicator-i3-steel-frame

It is entry level and I have made several upgrades to it.

I looked for a while for clear PLA from eBay, a company in Valley Stream NY but here are so many listings for pla I was unable to find it.

I have a new hot end coming and am hoping to get it installed in the next few days.

I'll keep working on it.

Maybe I found it http://www.ebay.com/itm/291017053164?var=590183965225
Last edited by Tom in Cincy; Aug 27, 2015 at 04:07 PM.
Aug 27, 2015, 04:06 PM
Stepan
Thread OP
this printer looks OK I will send you test Gcodes (give me a day)
About filament... We tried various PLA and most of them were applicable, it is best to find your favorite.
Aug 27, 2015, 05:08 PM
Alchemist
Quote:
That is the one that I had mentioned.

This is my Spit so far. May not be the final version but I think that this one would fly. Problem is, this is a high performance plane and flying it exceeds my current skill set! I have a box full of 4114 motors and this will only make the problem worse.

gary
Aug 27, 2015, 11:22 PM
Tom Para
Those prints look great! And only one shell thick amazing. I did not know what a 4114 motor was but looks like a big drone power plant..

I am printing out Left wing panel 2 right now. Its looking pretty good but i am not retracting on the internal structures for some reason. I have lots of fine stringing going on..
I also slowed my print speed down to 45 mm/s. Takes forever for one panel now but I am not skipping extrusion steps any more.

I bought some cheap PLA at Microcenter this afternoon and that seems to have helped. My other filament was a few months old and not well sealed.

I did order some of that filament you are using. It will be here next week..

It will be interesting to see Stepan's gcode run. [email protected] about 1/3 speed
Aug 27, 2015, 11:29 PM
Quote:

I bought some cheap PLA at Microcenter this afternoon and that seems to have helped. My other filament was a few months old and not well sealed.

)
For your filament that has absorbed moisture you could dry it in a little oven, just keep the temp low enough not to soften the filament
Aug 28, 2015, 01:23 AM
Stepan
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitewatchman
That is the one that I had mentioned.

This is my Spit so far. May not be the final version but I think that this one would fly. Problem is, this is a high performance plane and flying it exceeds my current skill set! I have a box full of 4114 motors and this will only make the problem worse.

gary
Great work, by the way we are preparing Easymax001 with wing load factor bellow 30g/dm so slower one, give us month or two, (next week should be the P51-D ready for download...) and sorry for my english
Aug 28, 2015, 10:58 PM
Tom Para
We are making some progress here.
Studied the slicer program today and I believe I got it close.
One perimeter except on the ends (5mm) where we have 2 perimeters. I am warping on the leading and trailing edge even using a raft.
I had to print on painters tape since my glass plate went missing. But I will have a new one tomorrow.
I am only printing at 40mm/sec so each panel is taking 6=7 hrs to print.
I always enjoy pictures in the posts so here are 3.
Aug 29, 2015, 11:43 AM
Alchemist
I have better luck with a brim than a raft to hold curling edges. Under the "Additions" tab, "Skirt/Brim", I set two layers, 0.0mm offset from part, and say 12-15 outlines.

This puts a flanges on the part to hold it down. Some people also use "mouse ears", I find this quicker and easier.

gary
Aug 30, 2015, 11:10 PM
Tom Para
Thanks for the brim tip Gary.
My wing panels are now warp free.
I am printing out the last panel now.
With the addition of my new glass build plate and a better hot end I am now able to realize how strong these panels can be when printed correctly.
I have to get some fresh CA tomorrow and start gluing.
The panels do fit together very well.
This is really an interesting project.
tp
Aug 31, 2015, 10:10 AM
Alchemist
Yes, I am amazed just how strong the wing panels are.

Would still like to see a frame former on the fuselage sections. Would only need to be 10mm wide.

gary

Quick Reply