May 26, 2021, 09:06 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nquantum
From what you guys say I'm now lean toward Xray. Yeah! Until I've enough budget.

However what your think about Yokomo SD9 Sport vs Sakura Xi sport? Just like to know. Where is position of SD9, same as Sakura, little better or what? I not it not same par to Xray, just like to ask to have more choice.

Also my friend recommend me motor 13.5T instead of 17.5T so that it can use for competition. Is that wise choice? I've just not sure as of beginner I can handle it or not.
HELLO Necro Thread Jack from 6+ years since the last post, yikes!

Quality/Price is directly reflected across the board... simply put you get what you pay for in general. This doesn't mean that Sakura is junk either, they are very good quality brand, but they lack the range of tuning options that are offered by XRay and Yokomo. With the right setup, you can be VERY competitive with a Sakura at the sportsman level.

XRay is priced so high that you need to be extremely wealthy or get a sponsorship deal to make it worth the effort for the extra tuning options they offer.

Comparing "Sport" versions of any kit is essentially the same... what "Sport" means is that many of the upgraded components (Carbon, aluminum etc) have been removed to drastically reduce costs. Consider a "Sport" version kit to be something for you to test the waters for a given brand. If you're happy with the performance and choose to stay with the brand long term, then don't get suckered into buying upgrades individually. Buy the Pro version with all the upgrades included, and then sell the sport version which will save you money.

Long term cost to maintain a car put XRay as the most expensive, then Yokomo then Sakura as the least expensive to maintain.

For a Sportsman level driver, they won't be able to tell any difference in performance between the brands... once you start hitting 96% or better consistency on average, then you will be able to take advantage of more expensive platforms.

I would not recommend running in the 13.5T class, that is too fast and is catered for pro level drivers... even 17.5T is a bit much... I would highly encourage you to pick a class running 21.5T (USGT) or 25.5T (VTA) which are well suited for sportsman level drivers.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2021, 09:11 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
I'm intrigued by this store on AliExpress. They have various very nice looking chassis at different price points and the reviews are promising. I've been look at them for about a year but never bought.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...c00hc9DqX&mp=1
I haven't race on-road in many years so please forgive me if I'm wrong, but that looks like a "Clone" of an older version of XRay. If you can still get parts then that might be a good investment, but I would do more research into seeing which version XRay it's based on and see what the parts availability is. Don't expect that car to have the same level of quality as XRay either, plan to have to replace all the plastic parts which will be lower quality and strip out far sooner than the blend of plastic that XRay uses.
May 26, 2021, 09:16 AM
Site Aspie
Check out their other chassis too.

I doubt the quality is a problem.
Latest blog entry: EL-39 compilation video
May 26, 2021, 10:32 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxman
Check out their other chassis too.

I doubt the quality is a problem.
I seriously doubt the quality of the plastic for any cloned brand will be the same as XRay... there is a HUGE difference in XRay plastic which uses various blends of fiber reinforcement and it varies between the arms, gears, diff cases, etc... the cloned brands only use 1 blend of plastic across all their parts, this is how they keep costs down and is also why their quality is no where near as good. Once you get on the race track and start putting stress on the parts, you quickly see how XRay will hold up over time, no slop and significantly less wear to where XRay will be less expensive to maintain over a cloned brand.

Trust me, I've been there and done that... I started out with the cloned brands and it ultimately cost me more money than if I simply bought the name brand in the first place...
May 26, 2021, 11:41 AM
Site Aspie
Sure. Xray is great, but the guy is looking for a cheap car. I believe this is a lot of touring racer for the money. Like I said I haven't owned one though.
Latest blog entry: EL-39 compilation video
May 26, 2021, 11:48 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Well, I'm sure the OP already made his purchase as this thread was created 6+ years ago, then some random from Thailand jacked the thread... I agree that for the price, those clones are hard to beat, but I just wanted to raise concern that you will get what you pay for... in the long run you'll end up having to replace all the cloned plastic parts with higher quality parts from the OEM which will end up being more expensive than simply buying from the OEM in the first place.

Try to think of a cloned car as a "disposable expense"... just to test and see if you like the geometry/performance, then when things start to wear out, simply keep that chassis for spare parts and buy a new kit from the OEM which will last for years, or you could keep buying a new cloned car every 2-3 months, ha!
Jun 04, 2021, 10:04 PM
Thank you for that great info guys. ������

Quick Reply