Apr 06, 2015, 08:52 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

budget touring car kit

hey all so im new to the car forums and rc's with wheels in general and i want to do a 1/10 touring car build, im limited to about 200 dollars for a chassis kit and i have narrowed it down to 2 atm i was wondering if anybody could give me any info on either or any kits in that kinda price range i may have missed

1) Schumacher Racing Mi1v2 1/10 Electric Touring Car Kit
http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/schumac...chk151/p292624

2) Yokomo SD9 Sport 1/10 200mm Electric Touring Car Kit
http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/yokomo-...tc-sd9/p267795

one question i had right off the top of my head is yokomo had another one for a little more that was belt driven, i assumed that shaft driven would be better but am i wrong?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 07, 2015, 08:46 AM
Did I make the A Main?
I would go with the belt driven Schumacher, they are very nice quality. You'll have better body selection by going with a 190mm chassis, and you can still buy wheels with 6mm offset to use 200mm bodies if you wish. Note that a narrow track width will provide better performance.

Shaft drives tend to produce torque steer problems with any motor more powerful than a 17.5T

Another budget car worth considering is the TD10 which is a copy of the discontinued Sakura Zero-S:
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Car_KIT_.html

For a good balance between budget and performance, that's the car I would build for myself.
Apr 08, 2015, 11:28 PM
Registered Basher
I have been researching 'budget' touring cars as well and have in a cart this one http://www.asiatees.com/display?id=6...a%20XI%20Sport
free shipping over 75 and 10% off til 04/10
I have read what Bill said about the torque steer, right now belt drive is 'in'.
But I have no real experience with this one or the ones you are asking about.

Edit: Free shipping doesnt apply to car kits (Sakura XI Sport) - and I almost pulled the trigger last night. With the 10% coupon and $25 shipping it totals ~$106, still not bad.
Last edited by kistner; Apr 09, 2015 at 10:29 AM.
Apr 23, 2015, 01:00 AM
Smooth is Fast
Go on ebay and find a older X-Ray these cars are okay but the parts are not up to par with their fully optioned counterpart so you will spend more upgrading that anything. Also the last poster said "belts are in" NOT TRUE it's a matter of preference and driving style. Torque steer is not an issue at all from the drive train it's all in having the chassis straight and the suspension setup correctly. A shaft drive car will have more rip down the straights and get on the power better but falls flat in flowing type corners where you have to be partial throttle. The reason that I can say a 17.5 shaft driven car does not torque steer is I have friends running Tamiya and A700 touring cars and they don't have the issue. Hope this helps. Also if you are going to get into touring cars trying to get in cheap will only frustrate you. So save up 400 and then make a choice.
Apr 23, 2015, 08:18 AM
Did I make the A Main?
earlier this week, both NitroRCX and HobbyKing released a rebrand of the RGT-R2, it's basically a copy of of the Xray T3 chassis with 80% parts compatibility.

HobbyKing is calling it the RZ-4: https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...bled_Kit_.html

Even though they say the car is pre-assembled, you'll still need to rebuild it and apply thread lock and grease, + oil.
Apr 27, 2015, 08:24 PM
Smooth is Fast
Hands down indoor and out for the coin the Spec-R is the way to go if you must be on a budget. The reason why the Spec-R car is good is because they make parts for other cars as upgrades so even there budget car has a decent fit and finish.
May 02, 2015, 11:16 AM
Car Bashing
I'm looking for informations about turnigy sakura zero s and the turnigy td10 and what i see is that there is a lot of discontinued alloy upgrades and quite hard to find now. For not a lot of $ more you can get the sakura XI sport with less discontinued spares.

RZ4 seems nice, but aluminum chassis make it less flexible. Not a very good rally car as all gears aren't protected and not a good onroad dtm because of the high ground clearance and aluminum chassis. Depend what you want.

I also search used car to keep low budget now.
May 14, 2015, 03:09 AM
If you are looking for a low budget car or its part then once search on the internet about car parts.
And also depend what you want.
Good luck.....!!!!
May 19, 2015, 08:56 PM
Technomancer
I have the RZ-4, and should have the TD-10 in a couple of days. The ride height on the RZ-4 is ludacris, but it does handle pretty well despite the fact. The extra ride height on the RZ-4 is actually a benefit in my case because none of the roads around my area are smooth enough to run a low setup.
May 20, 2015, 04:15 AM
Car Bashing
Nice, that will be interesting if you say if there are parts compatibility between TD10 and RZ4.

I think that if you upgrade TD10 with same aluminum parts as RZ4 (except aluminum chassis plate and upper deck) final cost of TD10 will be almost same as RZ4, TD10 nead body too.

What is nice with RZ4 it is that we can put less ground clearance and have same as racing touring car.
May 20, 2015, 05:56 AM
Technomancer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jym73
Nice, that will be interesting if you say if there are parts compatibility between TD10 and RZ4.

I think that if you upgrade TD10 with same aluminum parts as RZ4 (except aluminum chassis plate and upper deck) final cost of TD10 will be almost same as RZ4, TD10 nead body too.

What is nice with RZ4 it is that we can put less ground clearance and have same as racing touring car.
I don't know if any parts are compatible, I just bought the TD10 for my little brother to race against me. Because I have the Camero body on the RZ4, I will donate the original RZ4 body to the TD10 chassis.
May 20, 2015, 06:12 AM
Car Bashing
Quote:
I don't know if any parts are compatible
Maybe you will see as TD10 is a true kit.

I was thinking about spur gear and front wheel hub. It seem that wheel axle is bigger diameter and stronger on sakura zero. On RZ4 it is 4mm diameter on quite long lenght. 3racing have aluminum spur gear upgrade available for sakura zero.
May 28, 2015, 03:56 PM
i have a sakura xi sport. i like it a lot. 3 racing said they will be continuing to release replacement parts for it for a while (they are working on their new releases coming out soon i guess). i dont race or anything, but from what ive read the xi sport is pretty good out of the box on the track. i just drift bash with mine, i want a sakura D4 when it comes out.

I wouldnt buy a sakura clone bc the originals are not that much more, and if you have problems 3 racing will give you support.

the other options you listed, the schumacher and yoko would be cool if amain carries parts for them. 3racing parts arent as avail in the USA but there are a few shops with the parts here plus several oversees.
May 26, 2021, 08:40 AM
From what you guys say I'm now lean toward Xray. Yeah! Until I've enough budget.

However what your think about Yokomo SD9 Sport vs Sakura Xi sport? Just like to know. Where is position of SD9, same as Sakura, little better or what? I not it not same par to Xray, just like to ask to have more choice.

Also my friend recommend me motor 13.5T instead of 17.5T so that it can use for competition. Is that wise choice? I've just not sure as of beginner I can handle it or not.
May 26, 2021, 09:04 AM
Site Aspie
I'm intrigued by this store on AliExpress. They have various very nice looking chassis at different price points and the reviews are promising. I've been look at them for about a year but never bought.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...c00hc9DqX&mp=1
Latest blog entry: EL-39 compilation video

Quick Reply