Organizing FPV frequencies - RC Groups

Benton County R/C Aerodrome (Adair Village, Oregon, United States)

Apr 05, 2015, 12:43 PM
Discussion

Organizing FPV frequencies

As I understand it, we're all sharing a pool of frequencies. If I'm too close to someone else we'll trade video signals and both our quads will crash and burn. Does the club have a system for preventing overlapping frequencies ? Has this been a problem in the past?

Have you considered using a tag system? I've seen some charts breaking the 5.8 ghz band into 5 (or 6) safely usable chunks based on transmitter brand and channel. I'm not certain it's accurate, but it seems to be used in several race clubs.

We could print that chart, post it up on the wall with a couple removable laminated A/B/C/D/E slips, and ask that people switch their gear to the appropriate channel based on which slip they pick up that day.

Any thoughts? It sounds like the Fatshark frequencies will be the most coveted as everyone seems to use their goggles. I read the Racer F frequencies are not legal in the US, but I'm not certain if that's accurate.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 08, 2015, 01:07 PM
This is an issue we need to address or else someone is going to crash or lose their quad. Until we get a system in place lets make sure we all communicate when we turn on our equipment.

My video Tx is hard wired so I don't have the option of flying without it being powered on, so I will try to be vigilant.
Really looking forward to getting some FPV racing going!
Aug 27, 2015, 04:24 PM
If Friday's rain holds off we might have 4-5 people show up to fly. So in preparation, I printed off a couple copies of the above sheet and I'd like to try organizing onto 'optimal' frequencies to improve performance.

I'm pre-setting mine to Racer E (5645 khz) just because. If anyone wants to claim a certain grouping in advance, let us know what you want.

Hopefully a couple of us will show up with dips pre-set and ready to roll, reducing fpv chaos at the field. If nothing else, everyone should BRING YOUR DIP SWITCH CHARTS so you know how to set your vtx to a specific channel.
Aug 27, 2015, 10:04 PM
Also make sure you have 2.4ghz on your rc channel and 5.8ghz or 1.3ghz on your fpv channel
Aug 29, 2015, 01:01 AM
Knife Edge Software
I had fun hanging out today, even if I didn't get much flying in (stupid sand pit).

Frequency assignment was difficult in actual practice. To make it work better, it might be a good idea if everyone puts together their own list of frequencies that they can definitely use. This includes knowing DIP switch (or whatever) settings for both the transmitter and receiver. It doesn't matter much which frequencies your VTx can make if you can't tune it on your receiver.

This seems to be a particular issue for those of us with Headplay headsets, which seem to be good at pretending to have a lock, then losing signal quickly (hence my sand dive).

I'm going to work on my channel map, and publish it when I'm done. If others do likewise, we can do a bit more pre-planning for separation.

It seems like in order to make this work out well, everyone will
Aug 30, 2015, 12:30 AM
Yeah, that was a blast even though we never got everyone in the air at the same time. Avoiding video interference was challenging even with the 3-4 quads we eventually flew together.

Another thing we could try is staggering left-hand and right-hand polarized antennas, which should further reduce interference between neighboring channels. LHCP antennas on channel A, RHCP antennas on channel B, LHCP on C, RHCP on D, etc, etc.

Of course, to do that we'd need people to find out what type of antenna they have, and stick to assigned channels. Both of which are easier said than done..

If I understand it correctly, left-hand circular polarized antennas (LHCP) are wound in a clockwise direction when you look at them from the top, and RHCP antenna are counter-clockwise. From what I've read, people using opposite types can get much closer before causing interference.

For what it's worth, I have RHCP antennas on the Racer E block right now, but I'm willing to shuffle around if need be.

We could also put the 600mw transmitters on the edges to reduce interference.. coz I imagine having those in the middle of the band is not helping. edit: oops, forgot the 600mw's lack the Racer E/F frequencies. So much for that idea.