Jun 06, 2004, 09:28 PM
Thread OP

mountain models 2 great ones

Today I was flying my Tantrum and MiniFlash, wow if you only get to take 2 planes to the park--well these are 2 great ones..

the tantrum is getting replaced due to age but the miniflash is still going strong..the tantrum has a hacker b20-15L and the mini has a 2015 5400.

the new tantrum kit is still on the bench, cant wait to put it together..
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2004, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRS4
Today I was flying my Tantrum and MiniFlash, wow if you only get to take 2 planes to the park--well these are 2 great ones..
That's good to know
I went to the hobby store last week and I had a Mini Flash follow me home. I'm it's third owner, Going to get the radio gear in it tonight / tomorrow. get ready for when the rain lets up.My Tantrum is still in the box for now, It's going to have to wait as I have commited to building a big project for someone else for now.
Rick
Jun 06, 2004, 10:35 PM
Those are some georgous planes. My smoothe is in the mail (SS -> E-starter) and I'm looking forward to getting to those planes some day.
Jun 06, 2004, 11:25 PM
pfm
pfm
Patrick Mahoney
If you can master the SmoothE, then you will be ready for a Tantrum. It floats really well, and if you don't crank up the throws, it behaves itself really well. And then when you want to get wild, it can definitely throw a tantrum.

I love my Tantrum. It's my favorite plane.

If I could only take one plane to the park, then it would definitely be my Tantrum. (Wingo -> SS -> E-Starter -> Funny Park -> Dandy Sport -> Hangover -> Tantrum -> Switchback GT -> Flashback)
Jun 07, 2004, 12:26 AM
Thread OP
my mm progression went

tantrum->dandysport->flashback->dandyGT->miniflash->tantrum again

errrr--does this mean this is a progressive illness????
Jul 11, 2004, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRS4
my mm progression went

tantrum->dandysport->flashback->dandyGT->miniflash->tantrum again

errrr--does this mean this is a progressive illness????
ZRS4,

Can you give a comparison between the dandyGT and the miniflash? I have been flying a smoothE and would like to try something smaller/slower/more manueverable. Seems they should fly similar? Are the airfoils the same?

Rick
Jul 11, 2004, 11:29 PM
pfm
pfm
Patrick Mahoney
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSEN
ZRS4,

Can you give a comparison between the dandyGT and the miniflash? I have been flying a smoothE and would like to try something smaller/slower/more manueverable. Seems they should fly similar? Are the airfoils the same?
The Tantrum is slower and more manueverable than either of those. I don't have a Miniflash, but I have a Switchback 3D and a Dandy GT and the Tantrum is capable of flying quite a bit slower than either of them - and can turn much more quickly.
Jul 12, 2004, 01:15 AM
Thread OP
one of the problems in comparison is that we frequently change motors as we go--my GT has nowhere near the power hence it takes a lot longer to get up steam--the miniflash on the other hand now has a hacker motor and will run down anything in the sky--and still float on for a slow landing..

one thing i struggle with is CG--when using the CG suggested it seems like they stall at higher speeds than i want..i usually get close to the ground and in plops on when i get down to as slow as i want to..havent found the magic formula yet and still repairing a lot of landing damage..

i understand the science of CG and aerodynamics-but r/c is a little different and i am still learning the real world aspects of a lot of things.
Last edited by ZRS4; Jul 12, 2004 at 01:18 AM.
Jul 16, 2004, 10:15 PM
ZRS4, I am in the process of getting more familiar with my Miniflash after I burned up the GWS 350 after 10-12 flights with KAN-650 8 cells. I now have a Himax 2025-4200 and am flying with a 10x8 and an 11x8 prop. I also am trying to figure out CG, as I come in for a landing, as it slows down, the tail begins to drop, so I have to add power, or come in hot. The cg is just aft of the main spar, I was hoping with the bigger motor it would shift forward a bit, will add a little weight to the nose to try this. What battery pack do you use? I am considering going up to a 9 or 10 cell nimh pack, or 3 cell Lipo, but am concerned about the BEC (castle creations Phoenix 25). It states that it can only be used with 3 servos at 9-10 cells.

Dan
Jul 16, 2004, 10:56 PM
Closed Account
I used to have the same problems on landing that you guys are describing. I think we've gotten used to them being so stable at slow speeds at altitude that we don't realize the true sink rate until we try it down at ground level when landing. The plane is basically stalling and plopping down on the runway. Try changing your approach so you can keep just above idle power on until touchdown rather than cut the throttle completely on approach. The first couple of times you'll overshoot your intended landing spot but you'll get the hang of it right away. I can do much nicer touch and goes with my SwitchBacks now. It works even better with the FlashBack and MiniFlash. One wheel touch and rolls are a blast!

Joe
Jul 16, 2004, 11:10 PM
Don't watch this...
I agree TBJ.

Today I really studied my brushless FlashBack landings. This plane never surprises me and I'm getting really good at it. I've got the CG and 3S1500 pack as far back as I dare. Flys great.

But I to found that whilst playing with it dead stick 20' up, I could get it to almost float straight down like a leaf with a lot of up E as i slowed down. Tried that while landing and it plopped down pretty solidly.
Went the other extreme and landed with more and more power on. From just enough to keep the 2025-4200 spinning to a slow level flight. Any bit of throttled netted a much nicer landing.

I think we all get so enamoured with it's no power no speed flight (I think I'm describing a tossed rock there), that we forget to really land it instead of stall it onto the parking lot.

Now the DandySport...that I stall and flop into the gras with 0.0" roll out.

Coo
Jul 17, 2004, 12:53 AM
Thread OP
Dan-i have been getting really good sevice from the 1300-1500 range 3s1p tp pack (thunderpower website) or the irate packs from cheapbatterypacks.com..
they are light enough to still have a lightweight damage resistant plane, and decent run times..and have high enough allowable discharge rates 10C+, as long as i dont overprop.
i finally finished the second (rebuilt) miniflash and the second tantrum--the new one has a reinforced landing gear

Joe i am going to try more stabilized approaches like you say, i think my cg does need to come back some because the stall speed is high, but i should slow the sink with more power, and maybe some flaps,,i have berg radios and now (thanks to mr berg) i have the jumpers and have figured out how to use the berg 5 with flaps..
Jul 17, 2004, 08:02 AM
I have flaps enabled on my Miniflash, but I also fly with a bit of reflex on the ailerons as I feel it helps me trim, does anyone else do this? The negative is the reflex eats into my available amout of flaps (Futaba 6DA, mechanical programming). Of course when I extend the flaps, it wants to dive, requiring up trim. I do love this plane, but it has bit me a few times, and I do not enjoy trying to land it deadstick, but my last time flying, I worked on take offs and landings. I need about 5 ft of runway to take off .

Dan
Jul 17, 2004, 09:21 AM
Closed Account
I move my CG back until I can slow down and gradually feed in full up elevator with motor off and have it simply make fast nose wiggles as a stall while slowly losing altitude. It kind of looks like it's nodding its head. I always start at the middle CG spec and work back from there. The plane is much more responsive and I think easier to fly requiring less trim adjustments during flight.

I've tried flaperons on just about everything and don't like them on lightweights. On the scratchbuilt twin motor wing I built based on the sport wing for the SwitchBack/Dandy they worked well but the plane was almost 10 ounces over stock weight. On the lighter planes the slightest wind gust or any change in power setting causes ballooning and slowed aileron response. Not to mention you MUST use power on landing to maintain forward movement or it just kind of falls out of the sky. They're still set up on the MiniFlash, SwitchBack GT, Dandy GT and the twin but I never use them. Maybe I'll do a dual servo sport wing just for the heck of it to see how it does.

Joe

Quick Reply