Radio Controlled Foiling America's Cup Catamaran: AC 50RC - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 13, 2015, 02:36 PM
anyone have some basic plans they are willing to share so a fellow sailor/RC guy can give it a try?
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2015, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure what you want to try? There are numerous small multihull threads here
and you could PM Dick Lemke(see bottom of previous page) for help.
But , to my knowledge, there are no plans available for the AC 4.8 America's Cup cat-but there will be in a year or so, I imagine.
May 13, 2015, 03:12 PM
Biggest I have that I can find is 48 inch / 1.21 meter.

Most plans are simply line drawings - side, top and front views. Some will include lines for center hull and floats if trimaran and maybe cross section templates. You may have to pay to have files printed (output) locally - or for shipping/mailing.

Not many free ones out there however - as an FYI.

Dick
May 13, 2015, 03:17 PM

Ac48rc

I wonder if we did have some basic plans would more builders go for it?
May be worth drawing up some new plans and hull shape for this size cat? Would take me about 3 weeks but I could have something that would work to get guys going. Use simple round cross members and don't show any electronics.

The one bit of info I would need is what should be the target displacement?

John Xman
AC-86 Current master file attached.
May 13, 2015, 03:43 PM
Here is the free plans of the Kampai M40 1.2 meter (47.25 inch) Cat.
May 13, 2015, 03:51 PM

Ac 4.8rc

John , sounds good. Target displacement, no ballast system: 8lb. Target displacement 2.5lb Trapeze Power Ballast System: 10.5lb. I 'd suggest designing for the higher weight -it will still work well light but as a foiler it will need extra RM for best performance.

AC 4.8RC:
Length: 4.8'=57.625" (146.37cm)
Beam: 3.75'=45.28"(115cm)
Tentative rules based on my D4Z:
--movable ballast system legal and may exceed maximum beam-no restrictions,
-- foils may extend outside the maximum beam.
--rudders may be transom hung
--SA up to 1900sq"
--no channel restrictions
--no foil type restrictions
--no rig restrictions
Last edited by DLord; Aug 13, 2015 at 05:30 PM.
May 13, 2015, 05:01 PM
I still have that unfinished idea for my old F48 "Economaran".

Basically took the idea from a full size trimaran - whose name I don't recall- where the top deck and the bottom of the hull are shaped foam, and the space on each side between deck and hull is slab shape - so it could be ply panels with shaped foam on top and bottom for the hull, making for some very easy one-off building. Rectangle cross sections and foam is attached above and below. Then simply shape foam to the curve desired. Mine was based on the Inter Formula 17 cat hulls shape. All that is required is a top view template of the deck and once cut to size, it is simply a very rough rasp to quickly transform to curved deck. As I recall, at the time I was going to use 3/4 inch thick foam for deck, 2 inch foam for hull, and all stations were simply 1/4 inch balsa - EXCEPT for where cross beams would fasten, which was going to be 1/4 inch plywood, glassed both sides for strength.

Maybe time to revive this one, to give folks an idea of simple build philosophy.

In the photos - first is of original design that I was going to build to (shape wise) and the second one shows the slab-side hull with minimal cross sections plus the foam for deck and bottom of hull. Once all are combined, it is a simple matter to shape the foam.
May 13, 2015, 07:52 PM
Sounds like that could be real beneficial to people interested in building-go for it!
May 14, 2015, 08:42 AM

D4Z-AC 4.8 Foiling Cat----Foils

D4Z with very experimental batfoils in place. The batfoils are surface piercing T-foils twisted from 0 degrees at center to +3 degrees at the tips. Each main foil also has an intrinsic 15 degree flap(iFlap) on each tip(whose area may be reduced in testing). The idea is to have low speed takeoff and reduced drag at higher speed. Because each main foil is canted bottom out 10 degrees it only requires a 4 degree angle of heel for the boat to fly the windward main foil, reducing drag a lot automatically.

click-
May 14, 2015, 11:56 AM

Ac-5875-ver-01

Started the Base file line AutoCAD drawings for the AC 4.8RC "Plans"

Wing is 1,486 sq. in. Will show a jib later.

Next step is to load this into Delfship and 3D model (surface) the hulls to the targeted displacement

Then the #D will be loadded back into this drawing for the sections builders can use for one offs.

John Xman
May 14, 2015, 12:11 PM

"Break it down Mate"

Oh-
The plans I will produce will be based on the Cat breaking down for transport.
The Wings top section (1/3- about 32") will slide over an internal tube so the wing can be pulled apart into two sections. Wing height 8' without top section 64" Wing will be a 3 flaps just like the AC-45's
The other advantage will be you can sail in high wind without the upper sections.
Front cross beam is 1 1/2" dia. carbon tube the back 1 1/4" dia. Both will be a bolted connection to the hulls.

John Xman
May 14, 2015, 12:33 PM
Looks good John!!
What did you end up with for a Vac. pump?
May 14, 2015, 12:40 PM

AC4.8RC Foiling Cat

Thanks for the effort, John!
May 14, 2015, 01:28 PM

Vacuum Pump-

Jim,
I got the RIETSCHLE THOMAS just like you suggested

John Xman
May 14, 2015, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Xman
Started the Base file line AutoCAD drawings for the AC 4.8RC "Plans"

Wing is 1,486 sq. in. Will show a jib later.

Next step is to load this into Delfship and 3D model (surface) the hulls to the targeted displacement

Then the #D will be loadded back into this drawing for the sections builders can use for one offs.

John Xman

So are you doing all of the upload/download work? Just wondering because access to Delftship and 3D modeling is not something that most hobbists have handy - or know how to use. When done, what exactly will be available for those wanting to build - and other than PDF will any other software be needed?

Just wondering before anyone thinking about this isn't scared off.

Dick