May 20, 2021, 01:24 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhdtv
hello. I have a p3p with a gl300b controller. I have been wanting to downgrade both. I have been successful downgrading the AC but not the controller.

Using both android and IOS app, I have been attempting the "long press" method (hamburger menu in the top right corner of the app). I get the option to choose all past version of the RC firmware. Everything downloads and installs as expected. At the very end of the flash, the controller led turns green and the app instruction say the controller must restart.

The issue is once I restart the controller, it immediately blinks red and beebs. Nothing fixes that and it will not connect (even with the correct version to match the AC). I have tried all versions of the RC software. Same result. However, when the latest version is installed (1.9.2) all returns to normal (get a connection and can arm motors)

So my question is if anyone has had a similar problem when trying to downgrade the RC and how it was accomplished? Perhaps a different way to flash the gl300b other than the app.
Downgrading or more correct - reverting to earlier FW was always a hit or miss affair. Previously - you had up to 3 steps back you could go ... then that was reduced and finally I believe discontinued.
DJI basically I think - to cover the issues of No Fly Zones and the implementation of flight limits removed the back step of FW - so that once FW was updated to latest - you were stuck with that FW and the flight zone limits.

There has been work by some to create a 'hack' to revert FW - but when I used it - my P3P bricked and it had to go back to DJI to work again. I do not recc'd the hack at all for that reason.

I know some wish to back step on FW ... but TBH - having had a Phantom for significant time ... Std and Pro - I have never noticed in normal use any advantage of any one FW over another ... other than the Flight Zone Issue.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2021, 04:28 PM
Perhaps this is the wrong thread to ask, but I assumed p3p owners desire to downgrade to take advantage of other modifications "hacks". Coming from the APM world the ability to modify parameters set in the flight controller was appealing.

However, I believe this now can be don on the latest versions (1.11.2 ). In addition, the older 32 channel hack using older Go app, I thought also need lower version (older) versions on the RC and AC

The thing about the P3 there seems to be so much contradicting information and most of it is old and may or may not still apply.

I'm curious if anyone on here knows the latest story regarding what can and cant be done with the P3P.

Are flight parameters "hackable" on version 1.11.2 AC.
Is the 32 channel hack available when the RC is at 1.9.2 and using old Android Go 2.4.2?
May 24, 2021, 04:33 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Perhaps this is the wrong thread to ask, but I assumed p3p owners desire to downgrade to take advantage of other modifications "hacks". Coming from the APM world the ability to modify parameters set in the flight controller was appealing.

However, I believe this now can be don on the latest versions (1.11.2 ). In addition, the older 32 channel hack using older Go app, I thought also need lower version (older) versions on the RC and AC

The thing about the P3 there seems to be so much contradicting information and most of it is old and may or may not still apply.

I'm curious if anyone on here knows the latest story regarding what can and cant be done with the P3P.

Are flight parameters "hackable" on version 1.11.2 AC.
Is the 32 channel hack available when the RC is at 1.9.2 and using old Android Go 2.4.2?
Firmware as far as I know is able to be reversed AC side so is still hackable, once that is done not sure what will talk with what as I have never seen anyone roll back controller firmware...but old App might work. https://dji.retroroms.info/howto/sta...ntom_3_modding
May 25, 2021, 05:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
Firmware as far as I know is able to be reversed AC side so is still hackable, once that is done not sure what will talk with what as I have never seen anyone roll back controller firmware...but old App might work. https://dji.retroroms.info/howto/sta...ntom_3_modding
The access via Go to roll back FW was removed ages ago ... now officially you are stuck with the FW if you updated to latest.

As I say - a hack was created and a search on YT will bring it up ... I will not give a link to it here as it bricked my P3P and I think its too much a risk to use.

DJI as we know along with others have been under pressure to limit our use and capabilities based on Fly Zones ...
May 26, 2021, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
...DJI as we know along with others have been under pressure to limit our use and capabilities based on Fly Zones ...

I agree with you that DJI is determined. But there is no evidence that DJI is under any kind of pressure whatsoever to implement their own GEO system in the US. I tend to follow the FAA's rule making fairly closely, but perhaps you have some insight that I have not seen?
May 27, 2021, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pitman
I agree with you that DJI is determined. But there is no evidence that DJI is under any kind of pressure whatsoever to implement their own GEO system in the US. I tend to follow the FAA's rule making fairly closely, but perhaps you have some insight that I have not seen?
No insight ... just a matter of considering what changes have occurred in FW / GO and comparing to US / EU etc flight zone rules.

The implementation of DJI changes can often be seen to be shortly after FAA and other authorities rules made. DJI is only trying to protect its market share and that creates pressure on the FW / SW guys to look after the Company.
May 29, 2021, 12:44 AM
Quote:
hello. I have a p3p with a gl300b controller. I have been wanting to downgrade both. I have been successful downgrading the AC but not the controller.

Using both android and IOS app, I have been attempting the "long press" method (hamburger menu in the top right corner of the app). I get the option to choose all past version of the RC firmware. Everything downloads and installs as expected. At the very end of the flash, the controller led turns green and the app instruction say the controller must restart.

The issue is once I restart the controller, it immediately blinks red and beebs. Nothing fixes that and it will not connect (even with the correct version to match the AC). I have tried all versions of the RC software. Same result. However, when the latest version is installed (1.9.2) all returns to normal (get a connection and can arm motors)

So my question is if anyone has had a similar problem when trying to downgrade the RC and how it was accomplished? Perhaps a different way to flash the gl300b other than the app.
hello all, yes Mr Solent Life is absolutely right on his point that dji is doing the effort to stay in the legal standards of its market sacrificing some of users once enjoyed features of the system .... but , the p3 family will remain long years to come, its robustness and reliability in correct hands can do any thing the world of filming quadcopters will demand at a very acceptable price now.
now back to the guy who asked about the gl300B after the long press and successful downgrade via app you should note the matching of fm on AirCraft and remote. fw 1.6 and 1.8 on remote match 1.6 to 1.10.9 on AC .1.11.20 on AC need 1.9.2 on tx and 1.11.30 on AC need 1.9.3 on tx, check phantom pilots forum a ton of handy things can help you there! aside from that your transmitter beep may be caused by sticks being not calibrated check you tube videos on how to calibrate , and in all mentioned above make sure your usb cable you connect any thing with app on to transmitter via it is of good quality. good luck
May 29, 2021, 04:33 AM
That comment on USB cable is so often missed by many ...

I have a 'ton' of USB cables and many of them just do not work with my P3P .. as do many not work with my Blackberry ... Samsung and Nokia phones. I have Digicams as well - same problem.

When I buy an item now and it comes with USB cable - I now put a tag on the cable noting what item it came with ... saves all that testing to find one that works !!
May 29, 2021, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the help regarding downgrading the GL300b. In my case I had the AC at a version compatible with the RC version I downgraded to (AC 1.7.6, RC 1.5.8). As soon as I rebooted after the successful downgrade (verified by the log file stored in the rooted Android - results.txt.) the constant beeping and flashing started. I also have the "RC Encryption Error" shown in the app. (all version that I tested ios, android old and new)

The only thing I found to stop the beeping and flashing red led is to re-install 1.9.2 on the RC via the app. I tried everything google pulled up searching.

I'm calling uncle for now. I upgraded the AC back 1.11.2, RC at 1.9.2. All works no beeping, but, the "RC Encryption Error" remains. I used different devices and different versions of dji go. Sadly, the error remains. As everything is working, I'll need to let that go also

As for the 32 channel hack, it is working for me on a rooted android with GO version 2.4.2.
Haven't tried moding the flight control module with version 1.11.2. The last time I attempted
it forced me to improve my de-soldering skills as I needed to replace the flight controller with a donner. That happens if you mistakenly flash the wrong file. Little gun shy if it happens when you flash the right file. For fun if I proceed I'll post my results here.
Jul 18, 2021, 04:54 PM
hello all, ive just passed by my first experience ever with phantom3pro and dji hardware going before the satellite era!! i wanted to make a video for a friend some circles around his house, i took off with 14 locked satellites, i was concentrating on the settings of exposure when i felt the p3 flying toooo fast , as i checked the screen oh 0 satellites locked!! i was a bit far some 400 or 500 yards my friend was spotting with me, any way as i came back and descended to 20 feet every thing was fine 14 , 16 ... satellites once i go higher they start to disappear!! this repeatedly happened 5 times!!! what may cause this did it happen with any one and he found an answer??
i will open the shell to check the gps but a more beginner embarrassing question is revolving ever since the incidence , i know if in rc range the p3 will fly without satellite lock, but what happens if rc link disconnects too??? am a student from beta flight but never asked my self what is the dji failsafe in case of both rc loss after gps loss??? is it land or alt hold or what???
Jul 19, 2021, 07:41 PM
i went to the same location with another phantom3 pro i started with more than 9 locked sats then 13 or more then the problem replicated exactly the same !!! first conclusion bird 1 was not guilty, i kept moving up and down in altitude i determined that from 90 ft to 500 ft the problem appears below or above the gps locks fine with no glitch andi even noticed that even in the bad zone of altitude moving around is better than hovering at least 2 or even 5 sats still appear, i hesitated a lot to try to turn off the transmitter and check if the p3pro will land (as some members suggested that with gps loss and rc loss landing will happen) .
my bigger concerns, first for the phantom3 pro i usually set the rth altitude at 300 ft, so in case i was flying even below the 90ft and rc link lost the p3 will start to ascend to the 300ft it will get to the gps dead zone so maybe will start to land but as it descends it may catch gps signal what will happen will it continue to land or go back to rth mode????? we need some one who is very talented in those scenarios for us as pilots and users to learn.
Jul 20, 2021, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2019
... what happens if rc link disconnects too??? am a student from beta flight but never asked my self what is the dji failsafe in case of both rc loss after gps loss??? is it land or alt hold or what???
I tried to do an experiment long ago with my Phantom-1 to see whether it would land or hover. The results were inconclusive because the experiment was conducted in my basement with not enough space available.

Upon loss of control signal without sufficient GPS lock the drone cannot hold position in a hover, nor can it navigate its way Home. It will instead just drift away with the wind in ATTI mode. I suspected by default the drone should then land immediately.

This experiment was intended to confirm that theory, but the turbulence of the prop downwash meant the drone was constantly in danger of drifting into walls and furniture. So I wasn't able to leave it hovering long enough to see if it would land or not. I still think it would have landed if I could just have given it a few more seconds to decide.

This should be much easier to test with the P3P as it has VPS sensors. In the absence of GPS lock, as long as it is hovering low enough for the VPS sensors to see patterns on the ground, it should be able hold a stable hover. If you don't want to do it in your basement, you could cover the top of the P3P with tinfoil to block the GPS antenna. Then, with no GPS lock, trigger RTH to see what happens.

Here's the video. Read the comments too.
No GPS Failsafe Test (12 min 7 sec)
Jul 20, 2021, 09:15 PM
actually the thing that happened opened a total market of all sorts in my mind not only relates to gps failure , concerning loss of compass, barometer reading, speed sensing, battery ,rc link ....and how are those managed by the dji flight controller on the p3, so instead of testing i prefer some one deeply knowledge in this or from dji to give an answer that will help a user or pilot of p3 make best choice in case!!
Last edited by mj2019; Jul 20, 2021 at 10:23 PM.
Jul 21, 2021, 01:32 AM
Why would you lose compass .. barometer ... or accelerometers / gyro ? They are completely independent of GPS and physical feeds to Flight Controller.
I think mj2019 - you must have noted the P3 stayed stable even with no GPS ?

The only real function you lost was ability of the P3 to know where it is and RTH. Landing out would still be available due to the other senses being active. Its basically become ATTI only ..

You were able to ascend . descend ? If control is lost ... I would expect it to either HOVER till battery depletes and initiates landing .. or to land out.

I think that testing in a basement is asking for trouble ... best would be in an open field to give P3 ... and especially a P1 or P2 room to move ... as its basically in basic ATTI only.
Jul 21, 2021, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
Why would you lose compass .. barometer ... or accelerometers / gyro ? They are completely independent of GPS and physical feeds to Flight Controller.
I think mj2019 - you must have noted the P3 stayed stable even with no GPS ?

The only real function you lost was ability of the P3 to know where it is and RTH. Landing out would still be available due to the other senses being active. Its basically become ATTI only ..

You were able to ascend . descend ? If control is lost ... I would expect it to either HOVER till battery depletes and initiates landing .. or to land out.

I think that testing in a basement is asking for trouble ... best would be in an open field to give P3 ... and especially a P1 or P2 room to move ... as its basically in basic ATTI only.
i didnt mean all at once, let me ask the questions one by one:
suppose in gps mode or rth the barometer starts giving very high altitude what will the drone do??or it gives numbers that vary by 100s of foot , will the FC neglect that?? and continue rth??
the compass error in rth will cause a fly away right, or some thing else??
in case of gps loss in rth what will the p3 do?? and in case it was to land will it quit land and go back to rth on its own in case gps signal regained??
in case of gps signal loss does the p3 rely on accelerometer to calculate ground speed , in my case i swear the drone was flying at 100 miles when i lost the gps signal but it was only displaying the heading speed as 2m\s??

Quick Reply