Sep 19, 2019, 11:46 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmalecki
I'm having an issue with my Phantom 3 Advanced, and hoping DJI (Blade Strike) or any of the experts on this forum can help. My P3A works great with a Google Nexus 7 (2013 version) and an older copy of the DJI Pilot app. I know that the current app for the P3A is DJI Go, but the old DJI Pilot app works great (maybe it was intended to be the P3A flight app in 2013?). I've decided to give the P3A to my son in law, but will keep the Nexus tablet for another P3A that I have. We tried getting the P3A working with his iPhone 7 (IOS 12), and the current version of the DJI Go app, and we can't get past the "Equipment" screen that says "How to Connect". The camera view isn't coming up. I've Googled this and read a few posts that say this has been a known problem. But I can't find any indication of a fix. Does anyone know what I should do next? Since the P3A was activated to my DJI account when I bought it four years ago, do I need to deactivate it before my son in law can activate it to his account? If so, where in the app is that deactivation?

I may try to buy another Nexus 7 (2013 version) for my son in law, and copy the DJI Pilot .apk to it, but not sure that would work either.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!
Ken

Ken, Your problem lies with the App/firmware. The new App version of Go3 isn't backwards compatible with firmware on the P3A. Your/his choice is to update P3A current/last Firmware, or do as you say keep aircraft as it is and side load your APK to a Android. Your aircraft isn't bound to your acct BTW, so all he has to do is register the App under his Email and your good to go on that end. The original software was called DJI Pilot App for the P3P & A, it was then updated late 2015, early 2016 to Go which we refer to as "3" (Go 3) after the Mavic was produced or there abouts, the Go 4 App came out and took the Mavic with it and any subsequent DJI releases. The Go 3 flies basically Inspire 1 and P3's. Make sure when you are loading the Apple that your not loading DJI Pilot App, as that has a whole new meaning now. You would need to Load Go 3.X release for Apple

If you want my opinion, I would keep aircraft as is, side load apk to Android. But easiest and cheapest is to update the P3A to current, with that you get the new GEO and all the other fun things that come with it But I am current on P3P across the board and it isn't that bad depending on where you folks live.
Last edited by Repaid1; Sep 19, 2019 at 11:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 19, 2019, 11:57 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
You can of course load a very early release of DJI GO ..... I never had problems on compatibility of FW and GO until recent versions.

phantomhelp.com ..... has all the old software / FW versions and data for download ... just make sure you select the correct Phantom model.

Of course if you have a real old FW etc. - then ideally updating would be DJI's advice to you ... just make sure you do it right !!
Sep 19, 2019, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
You can of course load a very early release of DJI GO ..... I never had problems on compatibility of FW and GO until recent versions.

phantomhelp.com ..... has all the old software / FW versions and data for download ... just make sure you select the correct Phantom model.

Of course if you have a real old FW etc. - then ideally updating would be DJI's advice to you ... just make sure you do it right !!
I haven't been there in a bit but they have DJI Go/Pilot Apps for Apple? If so does one not need a JailBroke Apple to side load? As in this situation he is trying to use Apple, they have APK for android. Seems Firmware is really old as well. So like I mentioned he stays with Android ( buying tablet for SIL) or updates aircraft firmware to use iPhone which he already has.

I know Ian (AKA MAD_ANGLER) knows how to access old Apple software, but might be a bit much to complex for him, if it still can be done.

p.s. Tell the truth, you smiled when the old P3 thread came to life on that post
Last edited by Repaid1; Sep 19, 2019 at 12:10 PM.
Sep 19, 2019, 12:50 PM
I'm no lover of Apple as many know ... given that you can buy a really good Android of Banggood for peanuts that will run GO ... why waste time with iPad's ??

I use a Nexus 7 as well on my P3P ... but only because I wanted a dedicated tablet ... the N7 was the highest rating when I bought it .... and today still good.
My two Mediatek Android 10" tablets from Banggood are used for everything else ... they are really good. I do have GO installed on one of them ... just in case my N7 fails ..
Sep 19, 2019, 02:15 PM
Quote:
I'm no lover of Apple as many know ... given that you can buy a really good Android of Banggood for peanuts that will run GO ... why waste time with iPad's ??

I use a Nexus 7 as well on my P3P ... but only because I wanted a dedicated tablet ... the N7 was the highest rating when I bought it .... and today still good.
My two Mediatek Android 10" tablets from Banggood are used for everything else ... they are really good. I do have GO installed on one of them ... just in case my N7 fails ..
Well I certainly am no fan of Apple, but that is what his son in law has as a phone, which is why he is trying to use it. The Op is gifting him the P3A, so if he can get his Apple Phone working with it it cost him zero. Other than that we gave him options

If I could have got a Android working for mine back in the day, I would have never bought a Apple Product, as it was I use them solely for DJI...they just work and work well...but one must have deep pockets...plus they have killer resale. I am looking at a smaller one (Android) had I figure out my M2 purchase. Looking at getting a Teclast M89, it has HDMI out
Last edited by Repaid1; Sep 19, 2019 at 02:27 PM.
Sep 19, 2019, 02:58 PM
Both my Mediatek's have all the bells and whistles .... HDMI .... GPS ... twin Sim 3G ...
Sep 20, 2019, 03:05 PM
KV4PL, FAA 107 Certified
Quote:

Androids seem to be hit and miss as if they'll work at all, any android I've ever used has had sub performance compared to IOS, Android versions seem to take longer to roll out than IOS, Several programs I use are only on IOS
Sep 20, 2019, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFlyBob
Androids seem to be hit and miss as if they'll work at all, any android I've ever used has had sub performance compared to IOS, Android versions seem to take longer to roll out than IOS, Several programs I use are only on IOS
The never ending Android vs IOS argument ............

There are pros and cons of both sides of the argument ...... but condemning Android because of a few that you have used is grossly unfair and biased.

Remarkable amount of posts on various forums where IOS users have problems ... seems to be about evenly matched number of android / IOS in fact that I see on them.

I do not have any complaint about use of IOS gear - its the enforced proprietary setup it uses .... while all other systems allow owner to choose ... and of course Apple inflated pricing.

As I said - I have two 10" Android that run DJI GO perfectly for my P3P. My Nexus runs DJI GO similarly ........ why would I want to spend virtually the same I paid for those 3 - to buy a single iPad ?
For what ? No discernible performance advantage ...
Sep 21, 2019, 06:59 AM
Really need help with this one. Thanks!
Sep 21, 2019, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Really need help with this one. Thanks!
Are you asking for more help or thanking for what we told you?
Sep 21, 2019, 02:31 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Quote:
I'm having an issue with my Phantom 3 Advanced, and hoping DJI (Blade Strike) or any of the experts on this forum can help. My P3A works great with a Google Nexus 7 (2013 version) and an older copy of the DJI Pilot app. I know that the current app for the P3A is DJI Go, but the old DJI Pilot app works great (maybe it was intended to be the P3A flight app in 2013?). I've decided to give the P3A to my son in law, but will keep the Nexus tablet for another P3A that I have. We tried getting the P3A working with his iPhone 7 (IOS 12), and the current version of the DJI Go app, and we can't get past the "Equipment" screen that says "How to Connect". The camera view isn't coming up. I've Googled this and read a few posts that say this has been a known problem. But I can't find any indication of a fix. Does anyone know what I should do next? Since the P3A was activated to my DJI account when I bought it four years ago, do I need to deactivate it before my son in law can activate it to his account? If so, where in the app is that deactivation?

I may try to buy another Nexus 7 (2013 version) for my son in law, and copy the DJI Pilot .apk to it, but not sure that would work either.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Ken

What firmware version is the craft on ? This is listed in general, Settings and about. You can use your android to do this.

There is no need to activate it or assign it from one app to another as once it’s been activated at the start on day one it will work with any compatible app/phone with the app on.

Technically it “should” just work with later Go versions however if the craft is on a very older version of firmware it is possible it won’t as DJI did change the app communication protocol along the way.

Really your first post of call is checking the basics like the lightning cable and deleting the app and downloading it again, if it’s the same after this then your choices are as follows

1: update the craft to later firmware
2: use an android phone and side load an older Pilot App version

BUT if you were going to do option 1 do nothing until you post the version as this is not with out risk on older firmware’s due to FPGA quirks as you update and I don’t want you to get issues with missing modules.

First thing is knowing the firmware of the P3 really.
Sep 21, 2019, 06:25 PM
For some reason, all your responses just came through. I think my old iPhone isn't cutting it anymore. Thanks to all for your help!!!!
Ken
Sep 21, 2019, 09:57 PM
I just read through all the responses. Thanks to all for the great info and discussion. I already have a 2013 Nexus 7 on the way from Amazon. I'll follow Repaid1's suggestion to sideload the old DJI Pilot app. I've been very happy with that setup, and it should serve my son in law well. Thanks again! This forum is awesome! Ken
Sep 22, 2019, 01:16 AM
I think your decision to go with what you already know works is best way.

Leave the iPhone with son for other things ... the tablet used for the P3P can then be dedicated and not loaded up with other stuff ...
Sep 22, 2019, 09:30 AM
Quote:
For some reason, all your responses just came through. I think my old iPhone isn't cutting it anymore. Thanks to all for your help!!!!
Ken
I wasn't the only one that said that, just maybe the first to chime in...that being said...do you still use a Phone to access the internet that is so 2010ish... I figured everybody has figured out phones merely imitate computers by now.....No Seriously what could have caused the delay??? I mean if it's posted on here you should immediately see it...quite odd?

Also as M_A mentioned provide us with a status on Aircraft, Controller and App Versions at present. There was one safety update quite a ways back that would need to be implemented to your batteries...just to be safe.
Last edited by Repaid1; Sep 22, 2019 at 10:11 AM.

Quick Reply