Thread Tools
Jan 08, 2016, 08:42 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhkiom
It's the mission planner add on from the FPVB camera app.

I've never lost signal but I'm assuming like Go, it completes the mission and returns home.

As long as you have radio contact you can pause or cancel mission and if you lose contact it should finish mission and follow whatever end of mission protocol you set.

If you switch out of f mode you have direct control and can press RTH on the tx at any time, without needing any further app interactions, can do the same from within the app too.

I will post a link to a flight from the other day, with flight am footage and using the built in screen recorder.
Thanks.
The one thing the GO app has over these is the radar in the lower corner that continues to show what the craft is doing even though I may have lost FPV. I know they're SUPPOSE to finish the mission on their own, I just wish I could verify that at the time.
I'll watch for the video!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 08, 2016, 09:19 AM
Registered User
flysohigh's Avatar
Dji Phantom 3 - 2.5 mile flight (6 min 24 sec)
Jan 08, 2016, 09:53 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
DJI27's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus
Right, or walk away from this size platform all together. DJI caters to the AP Video crowd, but with the regulations coming down the pick they may see a massive retraction in sales of Phantom size quads in the US. I wonder if they have any intent on capturing the sub 250g market with a smaller HD enabled race quad?
DJI marketing apparently feels that the loss of some of it's original "hobbyist" core pilots is going to be more than offset by an emerging class of younger tech savvy pilots.

I'm guessing that DJI marketing is thinking that "older" technology has run its course and that the future profit margins depend on the "bells and whistles" offered by the new smart technology that takes advantage of GPS capabilities.

What many don't realize is that the "real" fun of flying doesn't come with just taking "it" out of box and getting airborne. That can be fun only so long.... The real fun comes when you realize that you and NOT one of the on board systems can save your bacon....

If anyone would like to see some unbelievable piloting go over to the Warpquad thread and check out their video posts..... some of those guys/gals seem to do the impossible with their quads.

P.S. I don't work for the WarpQuad company... but my next quad will definitely be one their models. They're a close knit group of pilots that actually help pilots of all experience levels.

EDIT: These are quads that you need to assemble from available parts. If you have no interest in building one of these they're not for you.
Jan 08, 2016, 10:04 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
DJI27's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86
Yep, the hobby is going down the drain.
Today someone I used to watch flying in the park was told he cant fly there anymore and the report was filed.
There are less and less places to enjoy this hobby and I see more young and older people just dont want to be burdened for something they used to enjoyed for years.
I guess there's room for all kinds of likes and dislikes in this "hobby" but it's too bad DJI doesn't offer unfettered models that don't force you to go through the all the hoops required to fly its newer models.
Jan 08, 2016, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI27
DJI marketing apparently feels that the loss of some of it's original "hobbyist" core pilots is going to be more than offset by an emerging class of younger tech savvy pilots.

I'm guessing that DJI marketing is thinking that "older" technology has run its course and that the future profit margins depend on the "bells and whistles" offered by the new smart technology that takes advantage of GPS capabilities.

What many don't realize is that the "real" fun of flying doesn't come with just taking "it" out of box and getting airborne. That can be fun only so long.... The real fun comes when you realize that you and NOT one of the on board systems can save your bacon....

If anyone would like to see some unbelievable piloting go over to the Warpquad thread and check out their video posts..... some of those guys/gals seem to do the impossible with their quads.

P.S. I don't work for the WarpQuad company... but my next quad will definitely be one their models. They're a close knit group of pilots that actually help pilots of all experience levels.

EDIT: These are quads that you need to assemble from available parts. If you have no interest in building one of these they're not for you.
While I don't necessarily disagree, we have a disconnect with how to deal with the issue. DJI had installed the beginner mode in the App. That assists the user in flying the first time.
Jan 08, 2016, 10:31 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Chuck
Whats stupid about it is your wasting battery because you have to be airborne in order to create waypoints. Your approach works if your shooting a house or something stationary but not so well if your shooting things in motion.

Its stupid, like all things DJI they don't give you the choice.
Well, "no choice" unless you consider the ecosystem of apps built using the DJI SDK to represent an important set of choices. Which it clearly does.

Btw, what sort of missions are you referring to that use waypoints and non-stationary targets? Pre-planned (no matter how created) waypoints are still established absolute coordinates, makes no difference, per se, in output based on how they were setup (ie virtually using a map vs. dry run of actual flight path).
Jan 08, 2016, 10:45 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
While I don't necessarily disagree, we have a disconnect with how to deal with the issue. DJI had installed the beginner mode in the App. That assists the user in flying the first time.
That's not a bad thing per say. I think the disconnect has been people (non-hobbyist) buying these as a first time model and they go right out and fly over a highway or busy streets, hover five feet from people's faces, etc. They did not have a mentor or experienced modeler to guide them, tell them what a safe flight is, separation from people and objects, radio performance and limitations, how to fly in non assisted mode, and the list goes on. Traditional modelers may have stuck their noses up at this side of the hobby, rejected engaging the new modelers interested in the tech side of the hobby and missed an opportunity to integrate that tech in a safe manner into the club fold.

So here we are. Both sides pointing fingers and whining.... Back to the P3 discussion.
Jan 08, 2016, 11:11 AM
FAA 107 Certified
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysohigh
Nice video and great soundtrack. Wondering where you shot this? Hopefully you had LOS throughout entire flight.
Jan 08, 2016, 11:14 AM
Registered User
razorseal's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron34238
Nice video and great soundtrack. Wondering where you shot this? Hopefully you had LOS throughout entire flight.
no obstructions in that area!
Last edited by razorseal; Jan 08, 2016 at 11:47 AM.
Jan 08, 2016, 11:17 AM
Registered User
razorseal's Avatar
thinkig about buying the advanced model with the 799 sale that's going on. I'm just having some doubts because of this new geo fence thing that they're implementing and also scared of the flyaways when used with an android device...

Has the app been improved for the androids lately? Last thing I need is a fly away that costs me 800 bucks.

That being said, this geo fence thing is really upsetting ot me...

I have a camera on the way for my CX-20. but I'm gonna need to do more work for more range and more flight times. Maybe I just get something that just works out of the box. I have a good feeling I can sell my cx-20 to some very interested coworkers if need be or just keep it for spare
Jan 08, 2016, 11:25 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pitman
+1 (again)

Don't really understand why it's not in the code now as it has been demonstrated for a couple of years now. that is a looonng time in this tech.
Because they want you to buy a new one once the warranty runs out. That's when things fail right. Crash and burn, click to buy.
Jan 08, 2016, 11:27 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron34238
Nice video and great soundtrack. Wondering where you shot this? Hopefully you had LOS throughout entire flight.
Do yo work for the FAA or just like to nanny folks?
Jan 08, 2016, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal
thinkig about buying the advanced model with the 799 sale that's going on. I'm just having some doubts because of this new geo fence thing that they're implementing and also scared of the flyaways when used with an android device...

Has the app been improved for the androids lately? Last thing I need is a fly away that costs me 800 bucks.

That being said, this geo fence thing is really upsetting ot me...

I have a camera on the way for my CX-20. but I'm gonna need to do more work for more range and more flight times. Maybe I just get something that just works out of the box. I have a good feeling I can sell my cx-20 to some very interested coworkers if need be or just keep it for spare
If you are a responsible flyer then you will have no issues.
Last edited by Tahoe Ed; Jan 08, 2016 at 03:48 PM.
Jan 08, 2016, 11:44 AM
Registered User
flysohigh's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron34238
Nice video and great soundtrack. Wondering where you shot this? Hopefully you had LOS throughout entire flight.
LOS the whole way..i had a carrot shake before i went to fly as i ALWAYS do when flying just around the corner
Jan 08, 2016, 11:47 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorseal
also scared of the flyaways when used with an android device...

Has the app been improved for the androids lately? Last thing I need is a fly away that costs me 800 bucks.
I was having bad disconnects/video interruptions on Android several times last summer and fall. Possibly related to memory issues, but I never figured out for sure. While it affected the video feed, it did not affect the flight of the craft. I could control it and Return to Home as needed.

I haven't had the disconnect issues in awhile, so maybe app updates fixed it. Or maybe I'm just lucky lately..

The P3 seems to be nearly immune to flyaways, and that's a great thing.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools