Official Phantom 3 Professional / Advanced ***Owner's Thread*** First post has FAQ - Page 3060 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 19, 2015, 11:52 AM
First off, I fly Blade Chroma...I like it but it has its limitations. Please convince me that i will be more than amazed by a P3P. How is connectivity in suburban areas? Dont worry lots of green spaces..
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2015, 12:33 PM
RIP Charlie T. Wilbury, Jr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpbabineaux
First off, I fly Blade Chroma...I like it but it has its limitations. Please convince me that i will be more than amazed by a P3P. How is connectivity in suburban areas? Dont worry lots of green spaces..
Light bridge is unlike any other connection anyone else uses , its not wifi its a proprietary link on 2.4ghz, it cuts though interference better but is still going to give you issues in heavy wifi congested areas.

Range is outstanding. and the video feed quality is great as well,

There is simply no other camera quad that can produce the results the P3 can,

Its a tripod in the sky.

The only thing that betters it is the Inspire .
Dec 19, 2015, 12:47 PM
Tweaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk
Thanks Mad, but I still don't know the answer to my question.

How is that 11 m/s achieved?

Lets say the max forward angle/bank of the P3 in RTH mode is 35 degrees.
Does the RTH mode use a pre-set forward angle/bank to return home and is that 11 m/s the resulting (GPS ground speed) if there would be no wind?

Which means with 5 m/s headwind, it would come back with 6 m/s ground speed.
And with 5 m/s tailwind, it would come back with 16 m/s.

Or..

Does the RTH mode try to achieve a pre-set GPS ground speed (instead of a pre-set forward angle/bank)?
In which case it will vary the forward angle/bank between what it needs and what it is programmed to do as a maximum, to achieve those 11 m/s.

Lets say the maximum forward angle/bank the RTH mode is programmed to make is 35 degrees and those 11 m/s GPS ground speed in no-wind conditions can be achieved with 25 degrees angle/bank.
In this case, if there is 5 m/s headwind, RTH will still achieve 11 m/s GPS ground speed, but with maybe 35 degrees forward angle/bank.
And in case of 5 m/s tailwind it also achieves 11 m/s GPS ground speed, but with maybe only 15 degrees forward angle/bank.
Then of course if the headwind or tailwind is too much, even those 35 degrees forward angle/bank are insufficient to achieve a forward speed at all.

So.. What does RTH do?

Pre-set GPS ground speed... Or pre-set forward angle/bank (whatever GPS ground speed results from that)?

In this question, I assumed "forward" to be the direction the RTH tries to fly in and headwind and tailwind to be relative to that same direction.
I'm pretty sure that it's a preset angle that results in the spec RTH speed, in still air.

Any headwind subtracts from that speed (noted in many stories over recent years), hence the need to be aware when flying far away down wind as RTH might not get it back before running out of battery.
Dec 19, 2015, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE
I'm pretty sure that it's a preset angle that results in the spec RTH speed, in still air.

Any headwind subtracts from that speed (noted in many stories over recent years), hence the need to be aware when flying far away down wind as RTH might not get it back before running out of battery.
iv been led to beleive because its in GPS mode so it has to be based on speed,

In GPS mode input is interpreted as moving at a set speed to a certain point/direction rather than angle, so its returning to location, bank angle will be based on on whats needed to achieve the desired speed,

however this is within the limits of wind, looking at all my logs RTH is generally around 9- 11ms in normal conditions, but if the wind is enough to overcome forward force then speed will drastically reduce.

Looking over my logs iv noticed first of all that i not often use RTH, far less that i would have thought tbh, of the ones i have done the majority have been 9ms but the odd one at 11ms but a few well below 5.
It possible DJI have instigated it based on ATTI mode and input is correlated to bank angle but its unlikely,

It may be bank angle but i don't believe it is, regardless both will be affected by wind.
Dec 19, 2015, 01:39 PM

Thank you Mad Angler

I ran my Headplay glasses till the battery went flat. Mad Angler posted that I had to re set the battery by using a 9v battery and hooking it up to the Headplay battery and then it could be charged. I have to admit that I was very skeptical. I hooked the 2 batteries together for about 10 seconds. Plugged in my lipo charger and lo and behold the battery charged!!

Thanks Mad
Dec 19, 2015, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfredrone
Finally!!! They put the 3rd gen shell with the X brace on my RMA'd P3P with cracks. The gimbal looks new as well. Fingers crossed this one lasts more than a few flights before cracking.
My Phantom came with the new version shell with the extra webbing that you can see down along side of the motors. I also had the larger vents. I'm not sure if it had the X brace or not. I bought is just over three months ago. Last time out after flying three batteries I found one major and two real small cracks in the lower shell during post flight. The major crack is between screws as seen in the photo. Dealing with DJI for repair here in the States so far has been nothing but great. If there is a 3rd gen shell I sure hope mine has it when it comes back for DJI.
Dec 19, 2015, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary714
Yes you can set each battery for different discharge times from 1 - 10 days. I used to have all mine set for 10 but am learning that's not the best thing to do. So now I have them all set to 1 day and that morning before flying I just charge as many as I'm going to need up to 100%.
Anyone notice that with the new firmware/App updates that the Self Discharge function on the Batteries does not seem to be working?

I have mine set to 1 Day on all batteries which I have always used and always worked no longer seems to be working --

Batteries are not going into Self Discharge--and I am not pushing the on button on the battery which would reset the timer button in the past--I have let 2 Batteries sit for 5 Days touching nothing--checked that it is set for Discharge in 1 day and and both Batteries still show full charge after 5 days!!

Thanks

Jack
Dec 19, 2015, 02:08 PM

Official Phantom 3 Professional / Advanced ***Owner's Thread*** First post h...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhanoka
Anyone notice that with the new firmware/App updates that the Self Discharge function on the Batteries does not seem to be working?

I have mine set to 1 Day on all batteries which I have always used and always worked no longer seems to be working --

Batteries are not going into Self Discharge--and I am not pushing the on button on the battery which would reset the timer button in the past--I have let 2 Batteries sit for 5 Days touching nothing--checked that it is set for Discharge in 1 day and and both Batteries still show full charge after 5 days!!

Thanks

Jack

Odd, not seen many other reports of it, there has always been the odd report of it but nothing conclusive.

Try setting to 10 days, leave 24 hours then set back to 1 day again and see if that resets it.

I also note you have posted in both the P3 and I1 thread, what product is it affecting ?

Both are not the same FW
Dec 19, 2015, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
Odd, not seen many other reports of it, there has always been the odd report of it but nothing conclusive.

Try setting to 10 days, leave 24 hours then set back to 1 day again and see if that resets it.

I also note you have posted in both the P3 and I1 thread, what product is it affecting ?

Both are not the same FW
Only checked so far on my Inspire 1--Will charge up the batteries on my P3 and test there now

Jack
Dec 19, 2015, 02:17 PM
Riverbend Aerials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammo1
My Phantom came with the new version shell with the extra webbing that you can see down along side of the motors. I also had the larger vents. I'm not sure if it had the X brace or not. I bought is just over three months ago. Last time out after flying three batteries I found one major and two real small cracks in the lower shell during post flight. The major crack is between screws as seen in the photo. Dealing with DJI for repair here in the States so far has been nothing but great. If there is a 3rd gen shell I sure hope mine has it when it comes back for DJI.
Mine has that same crack ..... I put super glue on it & has shown any issues after 60+ flights

Cheers, Jon
Dec 19, 2015, 02:18 PM
Seems a few of us have no probs getting batts to self discharge from the 50% storage level all by themselves How the heck can they stay so good at 100% mine including the RC are still up to their old tricks stored for winter- only five days ago all were set to 50 and I've already seen a decline.
Dec 19, 2015, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Goose
I ran my Headplay glasses till the battery went flat. Mad Angler posted that I had to re set the battery by using a 9v battery and hooking it up to the Headplay battery and then it could be charged. I have to admit that I was very skeptical. I hooked the 2 batteries together for about 10 seconds. Plugged in my lipo charger and lo and behold the battery charged!!

Thanks Mad

No problem

Affects both the Headplay and Fatshark. Batteries.

I did the same thing my self, I found this out after I split my pack in half and found the circuitry then twigged then tried a few things and got it to charge

Could have saved my self an hour of messing if I had just looked online.

The main problem is a lipo charger won't start the process unless it detects a voltage.

Originally HP included a basic mains adapter to charge the packs and with that it was not an issue as it was just cv charge and would work.

They later moved to the Hyperion packs that are larger capacity but they removed the charger.

I think the RMRC still have the adapters as they buy the googles with out battery and add their own.

Just some info for you
Dec 19, 2015, 02:21 PM
Riverbend Aerials
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhanoka

Thanks

Jack
Mine was set for 2 days & on fw 1.5 & it worked like it was supposed to

Cheers, Jon
Dec 19, 2015, 03:05 PM

RHO lens for Headplay glasses, 2 thumbs up

Hi guys. Recently I bought a set of Headplay glasses to use with my P3. I'm 53 and need reading glasses for close up things.

I was bitterly disappointed that I could not focus on the LCD screen. I tried the two lenses that came with it but no joy, I tried using reading glasses and again no go. I ordered an RHO lens from Ralf in Germany I thought it would be my last kick at the can. I was really surprised at the quality of the RHO lens, it has a little weight to it and is quite "thick." After fitting it into my Headplays and turning them on I was shocked at how clear and in focus everything was. Thanks to RHO for a tremendous product
http://www.rho-lens.com/
Dec 19, 2015, 03:12 PM
I'm right there with ya "Goose", at 54 I can barely type and see this post !!!