Dec 18, 2015, 08:45 PM
freelance videographer/DP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysohigh
I am finally going to be able to hook up my videos to an actual 4k TV using my laptop and a 4k HDMI wire are you guys finding VLC to be able to playback 4k video with no problems or are there any settings that you have to configure in VLC media player to playback 4k smoothly?
i have found that vlc player plays very choppy and stops when the same clip looks and plays great in 4k using gopro studio.(laptop)

now i preview my videos strsight from the micro sd card via card reader directly into the usb on my sony tv. i do need to shoot as mp4 so it plays.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 18, 2015, 08:49 PM
Animal Logic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
Just remember if you press the button to check the level it resets the counter
I have mine at 2 days.
Same here 2 Days but I do wish DJI could make it that if you turn battery on/off then it resets battery & Not reset when you just check whats your battery doing personally I find that anoying but nothings perfect

Re GO update did not update it myself / always suggest reading the whats new
Dec 18, 2015, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary714
Yes you can set each battery for different discharge times from 1 - 10 days. I used to have all mine set for 10 but am learning that's not the best thing to do. So now I have them all set to 1 day and that morning before flying I just charge as many as I'm going to need up to 100%.
I still have my 3 batteries at 7 days. These are supposed to be expensive smart batteries, if they can't maintain their health at this rate over the next couple of years, then they are not worth the $250 (Australian) price DJI is asking for. I only need them to still maintain 80-90% health in 3 years time, then I will be happy. I don't see myself still flying my Phantom 3 in 3 years time anyway.
Dec 18, 2015, 08:55 PM
Here's an update on my situation - for the two people who might care - but, quick review, my P3A was involved in a car crash that could have killed me, I rolled over, but my '95 Volvo allowed me to emerge unscathed. My P3 was sitting in a Hobby King backpack case, uncovered, and at first I thought it was OK. But flights were subsequently sub-standard - I seemed to have "sticky gimbals". I finally realized that it's likely that, when the EMTs cut off the roof of the car to free me, it generated metallic dust which was attracted by the magnetic elements in the gimbals. I tried blowing it out with an airhose, which improved the situation, but not completely. So finally I just sent it off to LA for a good cleaning. Then, of course, the next day I was laid-off my job after 15 years. Oh well...
So the moral of the story, if there is any: from now on I will remove the blades and zip the case closed even if I'm only driving a few miles to my next flight location. My P3 has only been gone for a couple of days and I miss it terribly. I want to press the RTH button, but I know it won't come back to me anytime soon. It will be a joyous day when it returns.
I've re-upped my youtube channel as the shitstorm dies down from all the FAA/DOT crap - hit the youtube search engine with "David York Nubble" for a cool lighthouse vid. Other good stuff there too. I love my Phantom!! I'm a hack videographer, but I like my own stuff, so who cares?? More goodies coming, I'm sure, when I get it back in the air.
Carry on, and have fun, that's what it's all about.....
Dec 18, 2015, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmont250
i have found that vlc player plays very choppy and stops when the same clip looks and plays great in 4k using gopro studio.(laptop)

now i preview my videos strsight from the micro sd card via card reader directly into the usb on my sony tv. i do need to shoot as mp4 so it plays.
Interesting i have in MOV but i guess mp4 is similar and more versatile for playing
Dec 18, 2015, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviZ
Its a hardware / software thing VLC does not help if your hardware can not run 4k
I use 4K so little to hard to edit and your stuck with 30fps
My favourite is 1080 @ 60fps easy to edit easy to upload & gives nice slow mode look to your video only wish the P3P did 120fps

4K over rated IMHO but what ever turns you on
So a 4k tv should or should not play the P3 vids shot in 4k? Connecting laptop with 4k hdmi out
Dec 18, 2015, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AviZ
Its a hardware / software thing VLC does not help if your hardware can not run 4k
I use 4K so little to hard to edit and your stuck with 30fps
My favourite is 1080 @ 60fps easy to edit easy to upload & gives nice slow mode look to your video only wish the P3P did 120fps

4K over rated IMHO but what ever turns you on
If you dont mind me asking why is 4k harder to edit than 1080p?
Dec 18, 2015, 11:13 PM
Quote:
4k edits the same way as any other video. But, it is far more processor intensive; it is 'harder' for the hardware doing the editing (or playback).
Dec 19, 2015, 02:13 AM
Animal Logic
Quote:
Editing time rendering time and the need for a 4K display etc seriously do you only use 4k The only thing I use it for is for doing a zooms in after effects.....Video resolution chart attached...4K = 4X the work & time

I never watch 4K video on youtube either

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pitman
4k edits the same way as any other video. But, it is far more processor intensive; it is 'harder' for the hardware doing the editing (or playback).
Thanks Dave
Dec 19, 2015, 02:30 AM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot246
Here's an update on my situation - for the two people who might care - but, quick review, my P3A was involved in a car crash that could have killed me, I rolled over, but my '95 Volvo allowed me to emerge unscathed. My P3 was sitting in a Hobby King backpack case, uncovered, and at first I thought it was OK. But flights were subsequently sub-standard - I seemed to have "sticky gimbals". I finally realized that it's likely that, when the EMTs cut off the roof of the car to free me, it generated metallic dust which was attracted by the magnetic elements in the gimbals. I tried blowing it out with an airhose, which improved the situation, but not completely. So finally I just sent it off to LA for a good cleaning. Then, of course, the next day I was laid-off my job after 15 years. Oh well...
So the moral of the story, if there is any: from now on I will remove the blades and zip the case closed even if I'm only driving a few miles to my next flight location. My P3 has only been gone for a couple of days and I miss it terribly. I want to press the RTH button, but I know it won't come back to me anytime soon. It will be a joyous day when it returns.
I've re-upped my youtube channel as the shitstorm dies down from all the FAA/DOT crap - hit the youtube search engine with "David York Nubble" for a cool lighthouse vid. Other good stuff there too. I love my Phantom!! I'm a hack videographer, but I like my own stuff, so who cares?? More goodies coming, I'm sure, when I get it back in the air.
Carry on, and have fun, that's what it's all about.....

Just glad your ok fella

Hope you get it back soon.
Dec 19, 2015, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk
Guys, I got some questions concerning RTH.

What is the max. angle to obtain forward speed for the P3 during RTH?
Is this the same for the I1, A2, Naza-M, etc?
Is the max wind speed for these drones as stated in their respective manuals the same as the RTH speed in a standard atmosphere in no wind conditions?

How is the max speed during RTH achieved?
By a target GPS ground speed, or a preset angle of the drone?
In other words, if there is significant tailwind towards the home position, will it reduce the angle of the drone when reaching the target RTH GPS ground speed, or just fly home faster?
(And of course opposite in case of headwind.)

And last, is this logic the same for the I1, A2, Naza-M, etc?

Cheers,

Squawk

RTH is GPS mode, speed is around 11ms in RTH.

It's based on GPS mode so it moving towards a position at a set speed,

Wind will massively affect RTH just as it does GPS mode, behaviour is the same.

As for the logic we have not idea what it's based on its a new FC but it's all very similar to the Inspire 1 that's was said to be a version of the A2.
Dec 19, 2015, 04:59 AM
Thanks Mad, but I still don't know the answer to my question.

How is that 11 m/s achieved?

Lets say the max forward angle/bank of the P3 in RTH mode is 35 degrees.
Does the RTH mode use a pre-set forward angle/bank to return home and is that 11 m/s the resulting (GPS ground speed) if there would be no wind?

Which means with 5 m/s headwind, it would come back with 6 m/s ground speed.
And with 5 m/s tailwind, it would come back with 16 m/s.

Or..

Does the RTH mode try to achieve a pre-set GPS ground speed (instead of a pre-set forward angle/bank)?
In which case it will vary the forward angle/bank between what it needs and what it is programmed to do as a maximum, to achieve those 11 m/s.

Lets say the maximum forward angle/bank the RTH mode is programmed to make is 35 degrees and those 11 m/s GPS ground speed in no-wind conditions can be achieved with 25 degrees angle/bank.
In this case, if there is 5 m/s headwind, RTH will still achieve 11 m/s GPS ground speed, but with maybe 35 degrees forward angle/bank.
And in case of 5 m/s tailwind it also achieves 11 m/s GPS ground speed, but with maybe only 15 degrees forward angle/bank.
Then of course if the headwind or tailwind is too much, even those 35 degrees forward angle/bank are insufficient to achieve a forward speed at all.

So.. What does RTH do?

Pre-set GPS ground speed... Or pre-set forward angle/bank (whatever GPS ground speed results from that)?

In this question, I assumed "forward" to be the direction the RTH tries to fly in and headwind and tailwind to be relative to that same direction.
Last edited by Squawk; Dec 19, 2015 at 05:09 AM.
Dec 19, 2015, 06:16 AM
It's believed to be more like your second response however that information is not handed out by DJI

I would suggest you email DJI HQ and see if you can get an answer if you need to know.
Dec 19, 2015, 09:32 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfredrone
Finally!!! They put the 3rd gen shell with the X brace on my RMA'd P3P with cracks. The gimbal looks new as well. Fingers crossed this one lasts more than a few flights before cracking.
Help a perspective P3P buyer....

What exactly is this "X brace" you refer to?

Any pictures???

Does opening up the P3P to see if the X brace is there void the DJI warranty??
Dec 19, 2015, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI27
Help a perspective P3P buyer....

What exactly is this "X brace" you refer to?

Any pictures???

Does opening up the P3P to see if the X brace is there void the DJI warranty??

Have a look here

https://www.droneshopcanada.ca/diffe...ntom-3-shells/

Yes opening it up would invalidate the warranty.

Personally I say don't worry about it, I have a day 1 craft and no issues, as many other do with no issues.

Internet reports are not reflective of the true numbers, yes some have cracked both new and old shell not DJI will repair for free.

look after the craft and handle with care and the chances are you wont have an issue.

You will love the P3 it's an impressive camera platform for the money.

Quick Reply