Dec 07, 2015, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the Fish
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneDiego
Max, you are spot on. Determined to figure this thing out and never hearing the phrase Captive Portal I did some research. Ultimately that lead me to what I'm pretty sure is the cause. AT&T puts an app on the phone called Smart WiFi. It constantly is looking for a connection, even if you are already connected. Once I disabled that app, my connection to the Phantom stayed clear. Seems I'm good now to try it out. Thank you!
Thank you. I did not know about that. That may help us diagnose some of the connection issues.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2015, 08:54 PM
Fly the Big Sky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malartic2012
If the channels can be hack, it should also be possible to hack the height...
What's wrong with the height?
Dec 07, 2015, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheerider
What's wrong with the height?
Use to be more than 500m
Dec 07, 2015, 09:07 PM
Fly the Big Sky!
Quote:
Use to be more than 500m
No it has always been 500m.
Dec 07, 2015, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheerider
No it has always been 500m.
Yes I think you're wright. The P2 was higher.
Dec 07, 2015, 09:31 PM
Fly the Big Sky!
Quote:
Yes I think you're wright. The P2 was higher.
No reason to go above 120m, unless in emergency.
Dec 07, 2015, 09:44 PM
Quote:
You do that then post the hack up here for us. Thanks.
Dec 07, 2015, 10:27 PM
2is
2is
Quote:
One is a software config file located on your smart device, the other is imbedded in the firmware of the Phantom. Not exactly the same thing.
Dec 07, 2015, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D700
1- 3xilelast I'm writing you this because of my personal experience with this issue. I am already on my third shell because of the cracks.

6- Living in Europe (I'm in Portugal) to get this problem repaired we need to send our phantoms to Germany (Now seems they moved and the repairing service is in Holland). I sent them two emails with detailed description of the problem together with pictures and graphics I made to better explain what happened and all sorts of information about the flight conditions the day of the flights etc as well as my personal data and phantom serial numbers (aircraft, camera etc).

10- I've been searching actively for a repair, for something that would prevent it to crack again. From super strong glue to those reinforcement 3d printed pads, epoxy glue, carbon fibber etc, until I come across a post made by a forum user about a phantom pilots post where a fix was made using a product called plast-aid. It seems to be so far the easiest, most simple reinforcement/fix to the Phantom's shell cracks issue. I ordered it, and I am still waiting for it arrive. I will reinforce a new shell, and I will repair my cracked shells with it as well. I hope it works and I will leave my feedback here to help those who have the same problem.
D700

I was in same boat as you - with a fairly new P3P, a very short Canadian summer and the prospect of sending to California for a month or more was just not going to work for me. Besides My warranty was already Void since I repaired my own misaligned camera sensor.

I do not condone repairing the shell yourself. but this is what I did:

I initially set the screw tubes back with a tiny amount of cyano then used gorilla glue to fill the gap and act as a strengthener. I did this for all four arms even though only two were cracked. I did it as soon as I saw cracks forming so it hand not spread to the motor mount screws.

See pictures - not pretty, but it has held on my Australia trip over the ocean with some strong winds.

Remember Gorilla glue expands! so use much less than you think - I also went around the outside of the motor mount area. If I had a flexible non expanding glue, I would have tried it.

Al

Edit. Before mine developed cracks, I followed the advice to loosen and re-tighten but not over tighten those frame screws. Also not everyone's shell cracks are in the same location, so the mechanisms for their occurrence may be different.
Last edited by alros_100; Dec 07, 2015 at 10:37 PM.
Dec 08, 2015, 01:12 AM
It's all about the image
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed
Thank you. I did not know about that. That may help us diagnose some of the connection issues.
Ya, I wish I could have found that out during the 4 hours of my initial setup! The first thing the Phantom wanted to do was update the firmware but I couldn't keep a connection so it kept saying Activate, installing, failed.

It appears that I might fly tomorrow and if so then I'll give a run on my phone and see how it works out. Crossing my fingers.
Dec 08, 2015, 02:15 AM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2is
One is a software config file located on your smart device, the other is imbedded in the firmware of the Phantom. Not exactly the same thing.
Yep BIG difference. .
Latest blog entry: Herelink 600mw Mod
Dec 08, 2015, 05:23 AM
Quad Nut...
Just uploaded the config file to my iPad - I can now see all 32 channels in the app but the custom button won't do anything? It just stays on auto.
Should I be able to select custom? It's a P3A if that makes any difference?
Dec 08, 2015, 05:33 AM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourblade
Just uploaded the config file to my iPad - I can now see all 32 channels in the app but the custom button won't do anything? It just stays on auto.
Should I be able to select custom? It's a P3A if that makes any difference?

Change your iPad region to USA under region settings.

It's locked to auto in Europe to comply with legislation.
Latest blog entry: Herelink 600mw Mod
Dec 08, 2015, 05:36 AM
Quad Nut...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
Change your iPad region to USA under region settings.

It's locked to auto in Europe to comply with legislation.
You're my current favourite Welshman
Dec 08, 2015, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourblade
Thanks for the advice Mad_angler - the rubbers look OK but it's tricky to see around the back...

Are they easy to replace?
Do you just force the plastic drop pins out?
If replacing with something like string do you leave more "excess" than there was with the drop pins?
Can you do without the drop pins or string completely?
Are there any vids showing how to replace them safely?
Fourblade,
I wouldn't fly the phantom without the drop pins or other safety measure like cable ties. If you notice the 4 rubber pieces fixing the camera are very thin and if DJI puts the drop pins it is for a reason
You can remove them without breaking, actually that's what I did already every time I had to change my phantom shell due to the cracks. You just need to pull the ring down gently, and then just press slightly the pin by the top part (the spike part) and it will come out easily. Now the ring claws will be relaxed and more open (after you remove it) but after you leave it alone for some moments it will go back to it's original shape and you will be able to use it again. I saw some people breaking them to remove, but actually it's not needed you just need to do it carefully. I have been using successfully my original pins removing and mounting them again and they look like new.

But now if you look at this pictures I took, you will see the cable ties weight is smaller than the original pins, and so from now on I will be using them:

Quick Reply