Nov 29, 2015, 02:39 PM
2is
2is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_angler1
No where did I say it did not exist, all I said is I could not say if it was new or not, it could have been there for 2 firmware versions for all I know as I said I had not see it until I went looking for it

I you had read on further I even downgraded firmware and tested v1.320 and posted it was better on that version so I don't see that as denying it existed.

Some of you folks seem to be giving me far to much credit, my option means absolute nothing so regardless of what I say it does not matter.

You continue to shout and scream and I will do what works for me.

Now I won't be saying anymore as this is not fair the rest of the fine folks on this forum

I say the same to you as I did the other, fly safe and you do your thing and I'll do mine
I'm not giving you credit for your opinion, I didn't even mention you. I left it anonymous and you took credit. You downplayed the issue even after you knew it existed. You downplayed the reps ignoring the issue even after you witnessed them ignoring the issue. You downplayed the length of the issue saying we demanded a fix in 20 minutes when it's been something we were dealing with for several weeks, which again, you were a witness to. I understand fanboyhism, what I don't understand is when people convince themselves their own eyes are lying to them as you've done on all these occasions. All for what? Blindly defend DJI at all costs.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2015, 02:43 PM
Air Men!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2is
You should apply your philosophy to the DJI reps also. Why don't you ask "has it ever occurred to the DJI reps that just because they could not replicate the problem, that it may still actually exist"

We are all well aware that not everyone has every issue. What's frustrating is when a DJI rep implies any issues they couldn't replicate is merely our imagination running wild.

There are a few people here that will make every excuse for DJI, I'm not one of them. Heck I've even seen a post regarding the drifting where a user noticed the drifting with his own two eyes and still down played it saying he never really paid much attention to it before so he can't say if it's a new or existing behavior.
I was not making excuses for them but rather looking at things from another point of view tho... Don't know about RCG but if you read other forums like PP for example, most of the issues being dicussed there are just non sense (eg; New firmware casuing P3 to vibrate.. I mean really??).. Again not making excuses for any DJI Reps here...
Nov 29, 2015, 02:47 PM
Quote:
Yea my iMac is the same so you won't get 4K on the screen it will be downscaled

You would need a Retina display to see the full benefits on a Mac.

Outputting to 4K is only any good if you have something to watch it on TBH

Filming in 4K gives some good advantages but I almost always output to 1080P
On my tablet i see youtube videos in 1440p, is this like 2k? Are there any tablets with 4k resolution?
Nov 29, 2015, 02:55 PM
Air Men!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysohigh
on my tablet i see youtube videos in 1440p, is this like 2k? Are there any tablets with 4k resolution?
2.7k.. I think?
Nov 29, 2015, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy90210
2.7k.. I think?
Yes, the Retnas and competing Androids. Larger tablets perhaps are 4k like the full size iPad?
Nov 29, 2015, 03:06 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade

Official Phantom 3 Professional / Advanced ***Owner's Thread*** First post h...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy90210
2.7k.. I think?

2.7K is a AV resolution of
2704 x 1524 16:9
2704x1440 17:9

1440 is a computer resolution of 2560x1440 16:9

Not quite the same but 2.7K is cropped to fit 1440 in iPads ect.
Nov 29, 2015, 03:55 PM
skypirate
Quote:
That would have very likely been me

Yes I could replicate it, but I told the truth,

I was unable to say of it was a new thing as I had not noticed it until I tired to do it

What else do you want me to say,

lie ?

Perhaps shout and scream and demand it's sorted in the next 20 minutes.

You what to know what i did do ?

Spend a few hours of my time messing around testing it, sent some logs to DJI and had a few discussions with people about it in the back ground.

Rather than shout and scream I try to provide accurate and valid information and data to try and see if it's a real issue and get it resolved.

That's how problems get fixed not shouting on a forum demanding action is taken.
Interesting you should interpret the various posting concerns as they relate to the smart battery presently used in the DJI product line as shouting,and demanding , Mad.
I thought I had read that the concern with the smart battery should simply be placed on high priority, and nothing more.
I'm sorry you have chosen to perceive these comments as something more, as you have mentioned.
The manufactures suggestion to fly the model with a fully charged battery, is more than likely good advice, However I personally can't remember having any issues with any of the models I've owned, with the exception of shorter flight times.
Again, I'm not saying it's not a good practice to simply fully charge the battery prior to flying for a number of reasons, but hadn't considered it to be of major concern until of recent.
POI, I've been a long time DJI customer, with several models beginning with the Phantom Vision, Plus, P-3 & Inspire 1 V2.0.

Best Regards
Last edited by alligator; Nov 29, 2015 at 06:03 PM.
Nov 29, 2015, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the Fish
I will make one statement on this and will leave the subject. Blade and I don't experience these issues. We condition our batteries when we get them. I am still flying packs that I got with the original Inspire. They will not update anymore but they still fly fine. When we see a drop in the reported capacity we do a deep discharge then a full recharge. We don't ignore it and hope it will go away. I don't wait until the App tells me not to fly the battery any more. It does say in the manual to only fly with a fully charged pack. Check it out. We mostly fly preproduction units, that should make them more prone to problems not less. Do we remind you what the company is recommending, yes regularly. However, don't feel that we are not forwarding your concerns to DJI. We have direct email contacts to the SME's on every line that we build. We pass your concerns along and then DJI decides how to deal with it. We do not control that process. You initiate it, we report it and that is the extent of what we can do. I am sorry that some of you feel that we run the company and can dictate what needs or should be done. That is not going to happen, nor should it.
Nov 29, 2015, 04:07 PM
Fly the Big Sky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flysohigh
Just updated my imovie i was not on 10.1 , now i see the 4k option but if my pc monitor is not 4k capable only 1080p i will onley see 1080 correct unless i upload to youtube in 4k and watch it on my samsung tab s2 tablet in better resolution perhaps 4k
Correct as the link I posted explains that you will only see 4K on a monitor capable of outputting that resolution, i.e. The new retina 4K iMacs. If your tablet supports 4K resolution then you will see it in 4K. The problem I have in YouTube with 4K videos is that my internet is not fast enough to stream the video smoothly.
Nov 29, 2015, 04:21 PM
Hi guys!
I have Teclast X98 PRO tablet without GPS, and without internet connection when im flying.

My question is, what can i do, to see my position on the little google map in the right corner on DJI app? I have cache enabled (DJI GO), and i downloaded maps offline in google maps app.

Everytime when im flying, i see map of the globe (parts of African continent)...

Any help will be appreciated! Its hard to fly only on area knowledge.
Nov 29, 2015, 04:24 PM
Fly the Big Sky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacek666b
Hi guys!
I have Teclast X98 PRO tablet without GPS, and without internet connection when im flying.

My question is, what can i do, to see my position on the little google map in the right corner on DJI app? I have cache enabled (DJI GO), and i downloaded maps offline in google maps app.

Everytime when im flying, i see map of the globe (parts of African continent)...

Any help will be appreciated! Its hard to fly only on area knowledge.
While connected to wifi at home or hotspot in the field zoom in on the map of where you will be flying. Keep the app open until you are done flying for the day.
Nov 29, 2015, 04:32 PM
Free fall is not free
Quote:
Your battery question has been answered.
Mr Mad,
As a prolific and knowledgeable poster (is that the terminology), I know you are trying to help, but I respectably submit that I do not have the answers I am looking for. To tell me emphatically that I do have the answers, feels condescending. I do not in any way, shape, nor form, feel that was your intention. But that can be the way it is perceived. I take full responsibility for the break down in communication

The questions were
At what less than full charge rate, can you safely fly?
What is the highest charge rate that you can still top off the batt?
Does anyone have a discharge device they like?
(yes I realize I can run the P3, not what I am looking for)

Quote:
Basically never fly a partly charged pack, if it was charged over 24 hours previously it's best to discharge to 80% on the sim or just leave it turned on for 15-20 minutes then give it 20 minutes to settle then fully recharge

Flying a pack that was partly charged or charged days earlier is asking for a bad thing to happen,

Yes it's a pita but lipo battery's are,

Also try not to leave fully charged any longer than you have to, if you charged it and don't end up flying discharge them to at least 80% then top off before flight

If it's going to be more then a few days then take them down to 50%

Also watch the temps now as its cold the packs can react badly, try to keep them above 10c between charging and flying.

When storing them colder the better but cold temps suck the life out of the pack so it can be problematic if they are fully charged and cold.
I understand standard lipo maintenance, this is not my first rodeo. While that is still fantastic info for those that do not. But it does not answer my question. No dumb lipo I have owned on my DJI scratch built rigs behaved this way. I could fly a 50% lipo from a week ago. If my flight time on a fully charged lipo was 14 minutes, I still would not expect 7 minutes. But I could fly until Amber (Taranis) gave me the low voltage warning. If I did not land, Amber gives me the critical voltage warning. But Naza never dropped me out of the sky 30 seconds into a flight starting at 50%. That is not lipo behavior, that is something inherent in the "smart" feature. P3's algorithms should RTH or auto land, not cut all 4 motors off instantly as being reported, for a drop out of the sky fall.

Quote:
Your battery question has been answered.

Fly from 100% or risk loosing your craft. the drop when waiting for it to warm up is fine but you need to start at 100%.

Also if you fly down to say 70% then stop for 20 minutes flying the rest of the pack down is a risk, once its rested its not worth risking.

Above 90% capacity you may need to turn it on before it will charge.

As for discharge its either in the craft or there are some other solutions, i connect mine to my lipo charger and use the discharge function.

there are many other solutions, lightbulb ect, no iff the shelf solution really other than some angel thing but I'm a little cautious of that as iv not seen how its built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerenFishe
Another post apologising for DJI?

A fact that DJI say something, is not 'a fact' that it is, or should be, a true statement.

Smart batteries that perform worse than 'dumb' ones have a design flaw. Did we ever hear a single report like this for the Phantom 2 'smart' batteries in its entire lifetime?

DJI's recommendations give no information about why the battery needs to be fully charged, nor for how long you can leave it and still safely fly with it. Is a battery left for a day that drops to 98% safe? 95%? What about an ageing battery that doesn't even go up that high? I have older batteries that are at 93% capacity when fully charged. Do I junk them?

Your own suggestion about "not flying with a 70% charge after a 20 minute break" isn't based on anything other than your own opinion, with nothing to explain how you came to that conclusion.

You could say as 'a fact' that I wrote: "Strawberries are always blue", but I'd still be wrong.

I know your posts are only intended to promote safe flying, but constantly apologising for DJI and plain old making stuff up just prolongs the time until they do something about the problem; which is ultimately less safe for everyone.

Complain long and loudly that DJI need to do something about the batteries and they may (very, very quietly) change their manufacturing process and the firmware to deal with the problem.

Otherwise, with some serious cold weather coming up - which itself has an effect on battery performance - Phantoms are going to be dropping like flies.
That is what I am saying too. Requiring 100% charge flight is not lipo behavior, it is smart battery behavior, and not very smart at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8Chuck
Remove anything personal from this discussion, there's still an issue that probably should be discussed and either a better understanding of the problem will result, DJI will fix the issue or both.

But why does DJI state that you must/should start every flight with 100% charged battery, and where do they state this?

I fly multiple missions a day, many of the flights are less than two minutes, I'm on to the next and launch again. In fact, more often than not I start most flights with a battery that is less than 100%. Usually I will start a mission with as low as a 50% charge, depending on the length of the mission.

For the twisted logic presented from DJI regarding battery management I fly these missions with a Pixhawk and I test the battery before every flight. That's not to say that I don't want to use my P3, I just haven't figured out a way to fit it into my workflow. But the only way that I'm aware of testing the P3 batteries is by the telemetry readout and the green light, by stating that you should start every mission with 100% charge are they implying that the monitoring for the battery is not accurate? When I press the battery and the green light shows half, it isn't?

If that's the case then wouldn't the irresponsible party in this discussion be DJI? If they don't provide tools to accurately asses the state of the battery then DJI needs to fix this. I kind of resent the assertion that because I start a flight with less than a 100% charge that I'm an irresponsible operator.
We can't check the batt without sticking it in the bird, and turning on the tx and Go app. Yet we can not believe what Go tells us. 50% should be 50%, not 5%, or 1%, or what ever causes the P3 to drop out of the sky after 30 seconds into a 50% charged flight.

We can not automatically storage charge the batts like any other quality charger. We can not discharge the batts like any quality charger.

I can not top off a 97-98% charged batt even after turning the batt on. I have tried multiple times with 3 different batts. I have flown with no issues (to date). I still do not know at what nearly 100% level the batts will accept a charge, as I have not tried between 97% and 50%, I have only tried at above 97% or below 50%.

Yet we must fly at 100%. It becomes very difficult to practice "best practices" without the tools the rest of the "dumb" lipo industry has

And.... I suspect DJI is working on the less than 100% batt sky drop, as the reps are silent.... because, IMHO, their NDA has kicked in.

Working on it is a great thing. But why the cloak and dagger all the time? Acknowledge the issue, give feed back on the proper work around. Notify everyone when the fix is ready. Its all good then
Nov 29, 2015, 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheerider
While connected to wifi at home or hotspot in the field zoom in on the map of where you will be flying. Keep the app open until you are done flying for the day.
Is there any other way to "center" my position? Im in the Europe, not in Africa
Thanks for help!
Nov 29, 2015, 04:39 PM
The cliff notes answer:

The problem is in the "smart" circuit, not in the lipo pack itself. According to the reps here, it has been communicated to HQ and hopefully we will see some "enhancements" (never call it a bug squash) in the battery firmware.

All the recommendations that have been posted are to try and mitigate the shortcomings (my word) in the software.

Nothing really more to say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunN4Lo
Mr Mad,
As a prolific and knowledgeable poster (is that the terminology), I know you are trying to help, but I respectably submit that I do not have the answers I am looking for. To tell me emphatically that I do have the answers, feels condescending. I do not in any way, shape, nor form, feel that was your intention. But that can be the way it is perceived. I take full responsibility for the break down in communication

The questions were
At what less than full charge rate, can you safely fly?
What is the highest charge rate that you can still top off the batt?
Does anyone have a discharge device they like?
(yes I realize I can run the P3, not what I am looking for)

I understand standard lipo maintenance, this is not my first rodeo. While that is still fantastic info for those that do not. But it does not answer my question. No dumb lipo I have owned on my DJI scratch built rigs behaved this way. I could fly a 50% lipo from a week ago. If my flight time on a fully charged lipo was 14 minutes, I still would not expect 7 minutes. But I could fly until Amber (Taranis) gave me the low voltage warning. If I did not land, Amber gives me the critical voltage warning. But Naza never dropped me out of the sky 30 seconds into a flight starting at 50%. That is not lipo behavior, that is something inherent in the "smart" feature. P3's algorithms should RTH or auto land, not cut all 4 motors off instantly as being reported, for a drop out of the sky fall.

That is what I am saying too. Requiring 100% charge flight is not lipo behavior, it is smart battery behavior, and not very smart at all.

We can't check the batt without sticking it in the bird, and turning on the tx and Go app. Yet we can not believe what Go tells us. 50% should be 50%, not 5%, or 1%, or what ever causes the P3 to drop out of the sky after 30 seconds into a 50% charged flight.

We can not automatically storage charge the batts like any other quality charger. We can not discharge the batts like any quality charger.

I can not top off a 97-98% charged batt even after turning the batt on. I have tried multiple times with 3 different batts. I have flown with no issues (to date). I still do not know at what nearly 100% level the batts will accept a charge, as I have not tried between 97% and 50%, I have only tried at above 97% or below 50%.

Yet we must fly at 100%. It becomes very difficult to practice "best practices" without the tools the rest of the "dumb" lipo industry has

And.... I suspect DJI is working on the less than 100% batt sky drop, as the reps are silent.... because, IMHO, their NDA has kicked in.

Working on it is a great thing. But why the cloak and dagger all the time? Acknowledge the issue, give feed back on the proper work around. Notify everyone when the fix is ready. Its all good then
Nov 29, 2015, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the Fish
[/QUOTE]I can not top off a 97-98% charged batt even after turning the batt on. I have tried multiple times with 3 different batts. I have flown with no issues (to date). I still do not know at what nearly 100% level the batts will accept a charge, as I have not tried between 97% and 50%, I have only tried at above 97% or below 50%.

Working on it is a great thing. But why the cloak and dagger all the time? Acknowledge the issue, give feed back on the proper work around. Notify everyone when the fix is ready. Its all good then[/QUOTE]

You can top off a battery. Just turn it on when you have it connected to the charger. I do it all the time. You can set your batteries to go into storage mode by setting up in the App in any thing between 1-10 days. As far as our NDA, that is always in effect but it has nothing to do with this. We practice what we advise you to do. There is are no secrets here.

Quick Reply