Mar 16, 2017, 09:17 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissortail
Not working fine.

Formatted the SD card, installed the .bin file only in the root dir, installed in the craft, turned on the craft only, craft cycles thru start up and LED goes solid green and never starts updating.

Turn off craft, remove SD card, place it in SD card reader which is plugged into my laptop. SD card now has a DSC file folder added to it which is empty, a P3X_FW_RESULT_AB file added to the SD card, and the original .bin file P3X_FW_V01.03.0020.bin.

Here's what the RESULT_AB file shows when I open it. Any idea why/how it's adding the DSC file folder or anyone have suggestions on how to fix this this?

Result: Success.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:11 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.08.0080.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:12 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3X_FW_V01.03.0020.bin
Result: Abort.
The current firmware does not support downgrade. Use a different version of firmware to downgrade the target version.

The current firmware does not support downgrade. Use a different version of firmware to downgrade the target version.

For some reason your trying to put a older firmware than what is in the P3.???
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2017, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
For some reason your trying to put a older firmware than what is in the P3.???
No, not trying to add older firmware, trying to update firmware.

When I start up the craft and go to About the GO app shows:

App version - 3.1.0
Aircraft version - 1.2.6+
Remote controller version - 1.2.6+
Mar 16, 2017, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scissortail
No, not trying to add older firmware, trying to update firmware.

When I start up the craft and go to About the GO app shows:

App version - 3.1.0
Aircraft version - 1.2.6+
Remote controller version - 1.2.6+
Yeah I caught that, just trying to figure out why it thinks it's older. Might have to try the 1.5 and see what happens. Mad_Angler has all this update stuff down to a science. I don't update mine anymore. I'm sure he will stumble in here when he gets a chance...he's pretty busy these days.
Mar 16, 2017, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbigd
Seriously? Because i have no f'ing clue what works best with these quads. I have taken advice from members here, and you are the first to claim i dont need the cellular model, when many others say i should as they have gps vs wifi only.
Settle down feller. You quoted TJ and he already told you a wifi unit is fine, remember?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert
Wifi only is fine as long as you're okay with caching maps or using a wifi hotspot on your phone at the flying site.
If you don't plan to use the mini 4 for anything but flying 16G will also do...
GPS on the RC via the smart device is good for 2 things. Resetting home point to the device during flight, And maybe follow me. Resetting of the home point to the device location would be helpful if you often operate from a boat. Other than that it is not necessary IMHO. Especially if you don't plan on using a data plan with it. If you have a wifi only unit and someday need this functionality, then you can add a blue tooth gps that is more accurate than the gps in an ipad and generally costs less than the cost difference betweem a wifi to a cellular tablet. If you can get a cellular version for only an additional $10 then sure, why not. Usually the cost difference is closer to $100. It's your $$ and your call.
Last edited by Dave Pitman; Mar 16, 2017 at 10:03 PM.
Mar 16, 2017, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Yeah I caught that, just trying to figure out why it thinks it's older. Might have to try the 1.5 and see what happens. Mad_Angler has all this update stuff down to a science. I don't update mine anymore. I'm sure he will stumble in here when he gets a chance...he's pretty busy these days.
Yeah, Mad sent me a PM this afternoon while I was out. Imagine he is asleep at this time. Was hoping someone else had an idea tonight.

Only thing I can think of iswhen I originally tried to update back in November I lost my video feed and just got it back after installing the HDMI module.

Any idea why the DSC folder keeps getting added back to the SD card?
Mar 16, 2017, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pitman
Settle down feller. You quoted TJ and he already told you a wifi unit is fine, remember?

GPS on the RC via the smart device is good for 2 things. Resetting home point to the device during flight, And maybe follow me in the Autopilot app. Resetting of the home point to the device location would be helpful if you often operate from a boat. Other than that it is not necessary IMHO. Especially if you don't plan on using a data plan with it. If you have a wifi only unit and someday need this functionality, then you can add a blue tooth gps that is more accurate than the gps in an ipad and generally costs less than the cost difference betweem a wifi to a cellular tablet. If you can get a cellular version for only an additional $10 then sure, why not. Usually the cost difference is closer to $100. It's your $$ and your call.
I have no hotspot on my phone. Wouldnt I want to have gps for that reason? The ipad air 2 with cellular I found is cheaper than without in this case. Im not worked up, I'm getting mixed information, and dont see any resource that provides the definitive answer. I want the best experience with this p3p, that simple.
Mar 16, 2017, 10:07 PM
Quote:
I have no hotspot on my phone. Wouldnt I want to have gps for that reason? The ipad air 2 with cellular I found is cheaper than without in this case. Im not worked up, I'm getting mixed information, and dont see any resource that provides the definitive answer. I want the best experience with this p3p, that simple.
There's no down side to the cellular model if the price is right. Caching map tiles when at home on wifi works fine in either case.
Mar 16, 2017, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Well I can tell you that somewhere on the order of 85% to 90% of users cache maps on a home wifi or similar. the rest is split to those that may hotspot at a flying destination and those that bought a plan for the cell version. Personally the only bugger is that Ipads only have the GPS antenna system in the Cell versions. IN two years of flying my P3P I have hot spotted 2 times from my phone. Other than that it is done the week before, day before or even hour before I leave to go fly. It takes a minute or so to cache maps and depending on where you fly once it's done it just stays in memory. When flying from my home, it was there for 3 months and I never had to do it after the first time. The only resource your going to find is us "old Timers" who figured all this out when the P3P was first sold and we bought it! So finally the Best experience is going to be get a cellular and activate the cellular. Other than that do the same thing and don't activate the cellular and just do it like the rest of us have been doing it for years

Personally I top my batteries off within a half hour of flying and leaving home, when I do that it takes about 3-5 minutes, during that time I do my preflight check in my living room and use the house Wifi and check maps...pack it all up, go to the flight field, spin on the props and take to the sky.
Mar 16, 2017, 11:03 PM
Quote:
That's interesting I could have sworn it needed the adapter. Does it just barely fit, and you get one click? I seem to remember that.
Yup two clicks, fits perfect and the bigger screen is simply awesome to fly with! Definitely go with the Air2. I use the Wi-Fi version and hotspot from my phone most times.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk
Mar 17, 2017, 07:34 AM
I know I fly with a neck strap. Even with the Mini the balance is off on the remote. I had to relocate the CG point to attach the strap, but now it hangs level when holding by the strap. I imagine the same holds true for the Air2's and they need a newer point forward which I am not sure how one accomplishes. I have a muscle and nerve issue and wouldn't fly without a strap as I could drop the remote. Even then I had to physically hold the remote level till I figured it out.

I'm sure the young strapping lads of today don't have a issue holding that remote, but for me getting it balanced was a priority.
Mar 17, 2017, 08:02 AM
Quote:
I know I fly with a neck strap. Even with the Mini the balance is off on the remote. I had to relocate the CG point to attach the strap, but now it hangs level when holding by the strap. I imagine the same holds true for the Air2's and they need a newer point forward which I am not sure how one accomplishes. I have a muscle and nerve issue and wouldn't fly without a strap as I could drop the remote. Even then I had to physically hold the remote level till I figured it out.

I'm sure the young strapping lads of today don't have a issue holding that remote, but for me getting it balanced was a priority.
Completely understand. I've got the one from DJI that goes around your shoulders, it's nice but as you said, completely off balance. I've always just sat down with it and set it on my legs, seems like the only way to keep it stable anyway. When I fly my mini quads I'll sometimes use my Taranis neck strap but even then I find it more comfortable sitting down with the goggles on. But yes, it's a good bit of weight to hold in the hands with no strap using the bigger iPad Air2. Worth it tho for the bigger screen I think and I always have my fold up chair with me so I always have a seat to sit in.

Mar 17, 2017, 08:18 AM
Thanks for all of the information, i have a better understanding of the differences . I need to contact my carrier and see what my options are for plans that include a hotspot, or as you have indicated "caching" maps before I leave to go fly. I havent received my p3p yet, but expect it next week. I found a locally motivated seller with an unlocked air 2 cellular in like new condition thats less than I was able to find a mini 2 for. I expect to pick it up this afternoon
Mar 17, 2017, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Thanks for all of the information, i have a better understanding of the differences . I need to contact my carrier and see what my options are for plans that include a hotspot, or as you have indicated "caching" maps before I leave to go fly. I havent received my p3p yet, but expect it next week. I found a locally motivated seller with an unlocked air 2 cellular in like new condition thats less than I was able to find a mini 2 for. I expect to pick it up this afternoon
Locally motivated seller....LOL, you don't know where my mind went with that... I know my actual carrier "Sprint" charges for it (HotSpot) but most people I know with other major plans just turn it on in their phone. Are you sure that yours doesn't? When I got my phone, I got it for a separate company that leases the Sprint network. My Hot spot worked on my phone for about 6 months. I awoke one day to a message saying I got a over the air "Upgrade" I then noted that Sprint decided I wasn't paying for it so turned it off on my phone. I then rooted my phone and changed the firmware. I got my hotspot back and free wifi calling. But yeah I wouldn't pay for a hotspot. I think you will find that just Cache at home and it is fine. The new Go 4 App actually lets you Cache for offline maps. I wouldn't hold your breath that DJI updates the Go 3 App that we have to use, But it is what it is.
Mar 17, 2017, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnw
Completely understand. I've got the one from DJI that goes around your shoulders, it's nice but as you said, completely off balance. I've always just sat down with it and set it on my legs, seems like the only way to keep it stable anyway. When I fly my mini quads I'll sometimes use my Taranis neck strap but even then I find it more comfortable sitting down with the goggles on. But yes, it's a good bit of weight to hold in the hands with no strap using the bigger iPad Air2. Worth it tho for the bigger screen I think and I always have my fold up chair with me so I always have a seat to sit in.

I know people that fly like you and with my planes and helis I guess I could sit down as I flew to the front of me pretty much. My Quads however tend to go "wherever" And at distance I have to spin to orient antenna so I am a stander when flying most times. To each their own.
Mar 17, 2017, 09:18 AM
Quote:
I know people that fly like you and with my planes and helis I guess I could sit down as I flew to the front of me pretty much. My Quads however tend to go "wherever" And at distance I have to spin to orient antenna so I am a stander when flying most times. To each their own.
Yeah I "try" to stay in front of me lol

Quick Reply