Old Apr 03, 2015, 11:02 AM
turboparker
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation).
Apr 03, 2015, 11:38 AM
Aerial Birdwatcher

The end of the Radian Era

So to make space for this new UMX Stearman and the new Parkzone P47, they decided to end the Parkzone Radian era. The RTF is on clearance, but the PNP will still go as well later. The C-Ray is also going. So literally, it's the end of an era because the Radian was a good plane. I love the Stearman too, but really, this could make a major change on the Sailplane market, as the full-size Radian was a good trainer, and was very popular. I'm sure the UMX Radian is staying though.
So goodbye, Parkzone Radian.
You had a good ride.
Apr 03, 2015, 12:22 PM

Gentlemen be prepared for something special

Just checked the figures, wing area (square cent.) / weight (grams):

Pitts : 7
B17 - Corsair etc.. : 7,18
Beast : 8

Pt17: 9

Be prepared for nimbleness...

This fully explains the very nice slow flight characteristics, hence the possibility to favor thrust on speed and have those nice verticals on 1S.

This is going to be a very nice plane for "those experienced flyers" with stick skills and for us "humble beginners" flying behind our plane...

Nice.
Apr 03, 2015, 05:31 PM
UMX supposed to be brushless!!!!!! why don't they change all brushed engines to the nano brushless engine upgrade?
Apr 03, 2015, 05:54 PM
Aerial Birdwatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulian1819
UMX supposed to be brushless!!!!!! why don't they change all brushed engines to the nano brushless engine upgrade?
Think about this-
it would be $150 if it was Brushless.
The next bad part about that is that if this would be used as a UMX Trainer and it was Brushless people can't handle 20mph flying speeds on their first plane.
Apr 03, 2015, 06:23 PM
Extremely Twisted
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergenflier
Think about this-
The next bad part about that is that if this would be used as a UMX Trainer and it was Brushless people can't handle 20mph flying speeds on their first plane.
This is definitely faster than 20mph....
Apr 03, 2015, 06:31 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Think about this-
As you have been told many times by many on these threads - brushless has nothing to do with speed! A plane can be twice as fast with a brushed motor than it would be with a brushless motor, or it can be twice as fast with a brushless motor than it would be with a brushed motor. The airspeed of a given airframe at a given density-altitude is solely determined by the following three things: Prop RPM, prop pitch, and prop efficiency. Nothing else matters.

Besides - the throttle is not an on/off switch. Simply fly at a throttle-setting that results in an airspeed that feels comfortable to you.

And as you have also been told by many on these threads - top speed alone has absolutely NOTHING to do with how easy a plane is to fly. A plane that tops-out at 10 MPH can be 10 times harder to fly than one that tops-out at 20 MPH. Stability in all three axes, low-speed handling, landing speed, and forgivingness are what determine the difficulty of flying a plane. A very stable & forgiving plane with great low-speed manners that lands at 15 MPH will be way easier to fly than a darty, twitchy, unforgiving plane that punishes stick-bangers with a nasty tip-stall, but lands at 10 MPH.

And where did you get the idea that beginners can't handle planes that have a 20 MPH top speed?? That is absolutely NOT true at all. The UM Champ can hit ~20 MPH @ WOT on a stout batt. The UMX Radian can fly a lot faster than the Champ. The 2 meter Radian can hit 60 MPH in level flight on the motor. Nearly all glow & gas-powered primary trainers are capable of hitting 60 MPH in level flight, and most of them land at ~20 MPH. Many hundreds of thousands of RCers have learned to fly on a .40-size glow-powered balsa/ply trainer with a 60" wingspan that weighs 5-6 pounds.

Those are the facts.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Apr 03, 2015, 07:29 PM
Aerial Birdwatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2Nitro
This is definitely faster than 20mph....
EVEN WITH THE CURRENT MOTOR? everyone has to crush my dreams.
Apr 03, 2015, 07:32 PM
Aerial Birdwatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
As you have been told many times by many on these threads - brushless has nothing to do with speed! A plane can be twice as fast with a brushed motor than it would be with a brushless motor, or it can be twice as fast with a brushless motor than it would be with a brushed motor. The airspeed of a given airframe at a given density-altitude is solely determined by the following three things: Prop RPM, prop pitch, and prop efficiency. Nothing else matters.

Besides - the throttle is not an on/off switch. Simply fly at a throttle-setting that results in an airspeed that feels comfortable to you.

And as you have also been told by many on these threads - top speed alone has absolutely NOTHING to do with how easy a plane is to fly. A plane that tops-out at 10 MPH can be 10 times harder to fly than one that tops-out at 20 MPH. Stability in all three axes, low-speed handling, landing speed, and forgivingness are what determine the difficulty of flying a plane. A very stable & forgiving plane with great low-speed manners that lands at 15 MPH will be way easier to fly than a darty, twitchy, unforgiving plane that punishes stick-bangers with a nasty tip-stall, but lands at 10 MPH.

And where did you get the idea that beginners can't handle planes that have a 20 MPH top speed?? That is absolutely NOT true at all. The UM Champ can hit ~20 MPH @ WOT on a stout batt. The UMX Radian can fly a lot faster than the Champ. The 2 meter Radian can hit 60 MPH in level flight on the motor. Nearly all glow & gas-powered primary trainers are capable of hitting 60 MPH in level flight, and most of them land at ~20 MPH. Many hundreds of thousands of RCers have learned to fly on a .40-size glow-powered balsa/ply trainer with a 60" wingspan that weighs 5-6 pounds.

Those are the facts.

Joel
I probably made the wrong decision learning with the Champ...
Apr 03, 2015, 08:19 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
I probably made the wrong decision learning with the Champ...
Not at all! The UM Champ is an excellent-flying plane! Until the Sport Cub S came out, it was arguably the best plane you could buy for teaching yourself how to fly without an instructor or simulator. I've been flying RC for 30 years - everything from the micros to 100+ MPH giant-scale warbirds - and I still enjoy flying the Champ!

But once you have mastered the Champ, you need to incrementally move on to faster planes if you want to get beyond the beginner/novice stage.

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Apr 03, 2015, 08:36 PM
Aerial Birdwatcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Not at all! The UM Champ is an excellent-flying plane! Until the Sport Cub S came out, it was arguably the best plane you could buy for teaching yourself how to fly without an instructor or simulator. I've been flying RC for 30 years - everything from the micros to 100+ MPH giant-scale warbirds - and I still enjoy flying the Champ!

But once you have mastered the Champ, you need to incrementally move on to faster planes if you want to get beyond the beginner/novice stage.

Joel
Alright.
I'm gonna go to an RC Flight School anyways, probably will help.
Apr 03, 2015, 08:58 PM
Damn you Horizon.

My first UMX was a Spitfire, I absolutely and still love it (though I don't have it anymore)
Then I bought a disappointment, the P40
Followed by a Mustang, it's ok but I still loved my Spit most.
Most recently I bought a Flyzone Tiger Moth on sale. Love it to death for it's simplicity and cuteness (not so much the ridiculous sound it produces).

And now.. I fell in love with this one.

But there's no more space or willingness to spend money on another addition to the fleet.

PS. all those guys who whine about wanting 2S whilst clearly seeing the plane performs amazingly, I'm glad you are not in the position to decide for Parkzone
Apr 03, 2015, 09:58 PM
Aerial Birdwatcher
I agree with the last part of the last post.
For some reason this plane seems perfect to fly in North Carolina on a beautiful summer day while drinking a good glass of lemonade that does not taste like water.
Apr 03, 2015, 11:14 PM
not 2s but 1s brushless would be nice for a change.So what some here are saying if you had a choice for a 1s brushed or a 1s brushless for $20 more you would still get the brushed?If people still love and show much love for the 1s brushed micro's then horizon hobby will never have any reason to engineer a more efficient longer lasting 1s brushless micro.Horizon uses a 1s brushless option on their losi micro cars so the tech is there.Lets get them in the planes already
Apr 04, 2015, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by highnpressurized
Hi, nice to meet you. I care about all the things you don't. Now you know one. Most of my hobbies involve "superfluous details" (restoring cars being chief among them). I have a beautiful wife and two children so your right about one thing.....no girlfriend!
Right there with ya, man! No family of my own yet - but one awesome girlfriend.

I fly RC because I can't afford the real thing Also, all I really care about is scale looks and fun flying. Got loops? Got rolls? Got that nice, scale look? I'M THERE. I'm not flying for competition. I'm flying for fun and what I dreamed of as a kid - my toy planes being able to fly like the real thing (although to me, these aren't entirely toys)

Didn't see this one coming and I'm thrilled it's on the way - and perfectly okay with the 1S setup. Can't wait for this thing to come out!

Quick Reply