Thread Tools
Aug 17, 2019, 03:46 AM
Helicrack Addict
whopper's Avatar
Windscreen frames done thanks to some self adhesive aluminium tape.

Pilots are currently with a work mate who is an artist being painted.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2019, 10:17 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper
Windscreen frames done thanks to some self adhesive aluminium tape.

Pilots are currently with a work mate who is an artist being painted.
Looking good!
Aug 18, 2019, 01:30 AM
Helicrack Addict
whopper's Avatar
Rear cockpit has had the floor removed and the interior of the fuselage painted black, with burnt umber paint around the cockpit edges to represent leather combing.
Alloy framed windscreens are glued back on and the cockpits are ready for the pilots once they are painted.
The radial engine is also being glued back on after being dry brushed with silver metallic paint.
I just need to paint the prop and get the flying & landing wires along with the tail bracing done and it'll be ready for a maiden flight.

If it ever stops raining......
Aug 18, 2019, 12:45 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper
Rear cockpit has had the floor removed and the interior of the fuselage painted black, with burnt umber paint around the cockpit edges to represent leather combing.
Alloy framed windscreens are glued back on and the cockpits are ready for the pilots once they are painted.
The radial engine is also being glued back on after being dry brushed with silver metallic paint.
I just need to paint the prop and get the flying & landing wires along with the tail bracing done and it'll be ready for a maiden flight.

If it ever stops raining......
Great work! Will look nice when it is finished!

It will be interesting to hear how you like it with the flying wires. I added wing struts and tail braces to my umx Champ (among other mods) and the drag was very noticeable. I love the scale look of the flying wires. I considered adding them to mine, but would make opening up the fuselage much more complicated to replace the motor. After over 200 flights I needed to replace the motor and was glad I had kept it simple.

Can't wait to see your final product!
Aug 18, 2019, 01:30 PM
AeroDan
Please post pics when finished. Take your time, though, whopper. This UMX PT-17 is the reason I’ve stuck with the HH line.
Aug 18, 2019, 01:31 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper
windscreen frames done thanks to some self adhesive aluminium tape.

Pilots are currently with a work mate who is an artist being painted.
Razor Sharp!!!
Aug 18, 2019, 07:36 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
Please post pics when finished. Take your time, though, whopper. This UMX PT-17 is the reason Iíve stuck with the HH line.
+1000! My favorite slow flying calm winds plane! It is so smooth and fabulous for touch & go's!
Aug 19, 2019, 03:14 AM
Helicrack Addict
whopper's Avatar
Starting to look like a Stearman again.
Last edited by whopper; Aug 19, 2019 at 04:39 AM.
Aug 19, 2019, 06:19 PM
AeroDan
That’s it!!! I’m getting one. I swore I’d avoid brushed-powered like the plague (after that Rage Beech 17 disaster), but as long as it’s from HH, I SHOULD be OK. Thanks, whopper. That radial looks SUPERB!!!
Aug 19, 2019, 11:15 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
Thatís it!!! Iím getting one. I swore Iíd avoid brushed-powered like the plague (after that Rage Beech 17 disaster), but as long as itís from HH, I SHOULD be OK. Thanks, whopper. That radial looks SUPERB!!!
You will love it!! It is the best low & slow smooth flying calm evening plane going! I love doing touch and go's with mine! It will also do nice loops and rolls and inverted flight - just don't expect it to perform like a high performance aerobatic plane. Keep in mind, even with the CG where it's supposed to be you will probably need a few degrees mechanical down trim for level flight at about 1/2 throttle. That has been my experience and others have posted the same thing here in the past. Also, the roll rate can be a bit sluggish, and there is a mod that can be done to increase the aileron throw. I can post more on that later if anyone is interested. I had to replace my lower wing a while back. The aileron bell crank is attached to the lower wing. My original aileron throws were fine, but when I replaced the lower wing I needed to do the mod.

Glad you are going to add it to your hangar - you'll love it!
Aug 20, 2019, 06:19 PM
AeroDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Winger
You will love it!! It is the best low & slow smooth flying calm evening plane going! I love doing touch and go's with mine! It will also do nice loops and rolls and inverted flight - just don't expect it to perform like a high performance aerobatic plane. Keep in mind, even with the CG where it's supposed to be you will probably need a few degrees mechanical down trim for level flight at about 1/2 throttle. That has been my experience and others have posted the same thing here in the past. Also, the roll rate can be a bit sluggish, and there is a mod that can be done to increase the aileron throw. I can post more on that later if anyone is interested. I had to replace my lower wing a while back. The aileron bell crank is attached to the lower wing. My original aileron throws were fine, but when I replaced the lower wing I needed to do the mod.

Glad you are going to add it to your hangar - you'll love it!
Thanks, 2Winger. This elevator push-rod adjustment makes more sense then adding 2 pieces of 3/16ths split-shot to the foreword end of the LiPo cavity. THANKS!!!!!
Last edited by Bell47G2; Aug 20, 2019 at 08:24 PM.
Aug 20, 2019, 06:52 PM
Registered User
Coptafeel's Avatar
Yeah, the last thing you ever want to do is add dead weight to these egg-carton fliers.
Aug 20, 2019, 08:27 PM
AeroDan
Last time I looked, they had “3” of these in stock @my LHS. I’ll plan accordingly (work o/t), & see what happens. BEAUTIFUL work, 2Winger!!!
Aug 20, 2019, 10:07 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
Last time I looked, they had ď3Ē of these in stock @my LHS. Iíll plan accordingly (work o/t), & see what happens. BEAUTIFUL work, 2Winger!!!
Thank you for your kind words!

Yes, you definitely want to avoid dead weight! I use the Horizon 150mah 45c batteries all the way forward. I think it would do fine with the 25c, but the extra weight up front helps with the CG. There are some that believe the elevator must be perfectly level with the horizontal stab to be properly trimmed. That is an opinion and one way to do it. I would never try to tell anyone how to do something or that their way is wrong. But my experience is that with the battery all the way forward and a little mechanical (2 or 3 degrees) down trim it will fly like it is on rails!

The roll rate is something some have complained about. If you have ever seen a full scale stock Stearman doing aerobatics you will notice it doesn't have a stellar roll rate. That is why many who do airshow routines or are doing a lot of aerobics will add a 450HP Pratt and Whitney and add smaller ailerons to the top wings as well as the near full span lower ailerons. My Stearman originally rolled nicely out of the box. When I replaced the lower wing something changed, and I needed to add a hole to the bell crank to slightly increase the throw. Not a big deal, and I can dig up some pictures if needed. It rolls nicely to the right, but a bit slower to the left. Still a delight for basic aerobatics. Does nice Cuban 8's as well. Low & slow & touch and go's are still my favorite with it! The key is to fly it in very little to no wind. I have flown mine in some wind, and while AS3X helps, it just isn't much fun when it is getting kicked around.

Hopefully you can get some relief from work and grab one off the hobby shop shelf and then get some quality evening flying with it!

Can't wait to hear how you like it for yourself!!
Aug 20, 2019, 11:41 PM
AeroDan
I think “torque” might have something to do with the different left/right roll-rate. But, DON’T quote me, whatever you do. Sounds like this handles wind in a similar manner to my OLD Ares T-Craft (Discontinued). It didn’t have AS3X. The rudder response was a little slow, but the elevator was REAL TWITCHY. It might as well have had a FULL flying-surface (horizontal stabilizer).


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools