Jun 27, 2017, 12:22 AM
Any special "quirks" this plane has out of the box? I bought one last year but haven't flown it,being a rather " iffy" 4 channel pilot.....and I have to hand launch everything with not much room for errors! I don,t need instant nose dives or wing overs! Any specific ways it should be set up for a first attempt? Thanks guys!.....
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2017, 12:31 AM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
It should be an easy plane to fly. However, there are issues I learned from reading here. One is the tail wing may be cured up, and I had that situation which needed down elevator trimmed mechanically, otherwise it was squirrelly and I wasn't able to trim it in mid air. I managed to land safely and added down elev.
Each one is different I guess. Just visually check all the control surfaces before your maiden.
Good Luck and happy flying!
Latest blog entry: My SlowProgress
Jun 27, 2017, 02:51 AM
Vienna calling...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
Any special "quirks" this plane has out of the box? I bought one last year but haven't flown it,being a rather " iffy" 4 channel pilot.....and I have to hand launch everything with not much room for errors! I don,t need instant nose dives or wing overs! Any specific ways it should be set up for a first attempt? Thanks guys!.....
Hi,
no - it is very easy to fly.
Try on a very calm day, it is a fantastic plane when there is no wind.

Walter
Jun 27, 2017, 08:18 AM
Oh! Just love model
OhBee, you might want to try flying it off the ground the first time, if you are nervous about tossing. It takes off and lands nicely.

I found that adding about 3g of weight in the extreme nose, above the front of the battery area, improved the handling of mine. However, that could be because I added a sticker to the tail to correct the number of red/white stripes.

You can ignore the rudder and treat it as a 3-channel when you fly it at first.

Apart from sluggish aileron response, it is a great flying plane.

August
Jun 27, 2017, 12:33 PM
Fire Marshall Bill
Mine and reportedly many others had quite a bit of up trim out of the box. Needs flat ele. or even just a touch of down. This is generally better then weight. Put a small square of clear packing tape on the fuse above the sharp corners of the gear fairings. These dig in to the fuse on almost any landing. You can take off and land in about 2 feet with this thing!
Jun 27, 2017, 03:50 PM
This is one of my favorite small planes ......honest and no quirks flyer.
However.....not as it comes out of the box.......It is thin foam structure for scale appearance and thin foam has poor structural strength. I added .020" CF rods as "rigging" to the wing and tail. Laser Bond UV glue works great for this delicate work. Not only does it look more scale, it is substantially more rigid and non-flexing.
Well, maybe the foam pilot I carved and put in the rear cockpit helps, too.
Jun 27, 2017, 04:06 PM
On the ol' Interweb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Petro
This is one of my favorite small planes ......honest and no quirks flyer.
However.....not as it comes out of the box.......It is thin foam structure for scale appearance and thin foam has poor structural strength. I added .020" CF rods as "rigging" to the wing and tail. Laser Bond UV glue works great for this delicate work. Not only does it look more scale, it is substantially more rigid and non-flexing.
After seeing the infomercials, I wondered if Laser Bond UV glue really worked. How would you compare it to CA?
Jun 27, 2017, 05:07 PM
OhBee -- I found my PT to be a little tail heavy. But not wanting to add dead weight I just used a slightly larger battery ... 480mAh. This balanced the plane almost perfectly.

This was my first biplane and I was surprised by how much altitude is lost in turns if you don't compensate appropriately. Much more than in a high wing. Once I got the feel for it I became more confident when flying/turning while low and slow.

I second the recommendation about the clear tape behind the landing gear faring... otherwise you will 100% have to dents there.

It's a wonderful little plane. Does best in very low wind IMHO.
Jun 27, 2017, 05:38 PM
Vienna calling...
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Petro
well, that's true.
Without a pilot it cannot fly.
Mine has a female pilot, was meant to be Betty Skelton for a Pitts, but was too small (BTW: very nice book).

Walter
Jun 27, 2017, 09:15 PM
So possibly a bit tail heavy? I'll give it a thorough preflight! I have nowhere to take off from the ground...but there's plenty of tall weeds around to cushion a possible oops! ....as long as they don't cut off a wing! Thanks guys.
Jun 28, 2017, 12:26 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Quote:
So possibly a bit tail heavy? I'll give it a thorough preflight! I have nowhere to take off from the ground...but there's plenty of tall weeds around to cushion a possible oops! ....as long as they don't cut off a wing! Thanks guys.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=865
Jun 28, 2017, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by razomatic

This was my first biplane and I was surprised by how much altitude is lost in turns if you don't compensate appropriately. Much more than in a high wing. Once I got the feel for it I became more confident when flying/turning while low and slow.
I would suggest a less forward CG and a tad of down elevator. Needing tons of up elevator in turns is a sign of nose heaviness.
Jun 30, 2017, 11:43 AM
Fire Marshall Bill
I agree. While mine took off almost vertically on maiden, it was not the result of tail weight. As I stated, a flat of slightly down ele is what she needs.
Jun 30, 2017, 01:22 PM
AMA xxx6793/ NAMBA 1054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo Te
I agree. While mine took off almost vertically on maiden, it was not the result of tail weight. As I stated, a flat of slightly down ele is what she needs.
That was my maiden as well and i had the COG correct. My problem was compounded by a cured up elevator which is discussed earlier in this forum. I have since mechanically trimmed the elevator down 3 or 4 degrees. Problem solved .
Latest blog entry: My SlowProgress
Jun 30, 2017, 08:28 PM
North, Thanks for the link to your early post! I know I read that once before but my memory ain't what it used to be! Now I should be able to find it in the future. No calm enough weather around here lately for a maiden attempt!

Quick Reply