Apr 02, 2015, 03:33 PM
slow and scale is fine but at least a 1s brushless so we dont have to keep pulling the fuselage apart after a few flight to replace the motor.I like the 1s micro size and speed but am tired of those brushed motors.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2015, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
I'm wondering how they pulled that off - given that the parts listing shows the same 130mm x 70mm UM prop they've used for years, along with the shorter 8.5mm motor that's used in the F4U, P-51, and T-28. It also has the same gear-ratio. And at an AUW of 48g, it's actually a bit heavier than the WWII fighters. Hmmm.....

Joel
Actually, it has the longer motor like what is in the UMX AS3Xtra and UMX Radian.

Seth Arnold
Horizon Hobby
Apr 02, 2015, 04:26 PM
WOT and going nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth
Actually, it has the longer motor like what is in the UMX AS3Xtra and UMX Radian.

Seth Arnold
Horizon Hobby
The AS3Xtra motor lasts for ages compared to the other cans- thanks Seth!
Apr 02, 2015, 04:45 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Seth

Seth Arnold
Horizon Hobby
Great news! That would explain the nice, round, scale-diameter loops. So, is that also the same motor that's used in the Sport Cub S?

FYI - the replacement parts list shows the motor as being the T-28/P-51 motor. It also shows the motor/gb assy as being the one from the T-28 & P-51, so that's what I was going by:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/motor%3A...m-t-28-pkz3616

http://www.horizonhobby.com/motor-an...m-t-28-pkz3624

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Apr 02, 2015, 05:03 PM
Pretty amazing video.
Latest blog entry: VA Models Christen Eagle
Apr 02, 2015, 05:10 PM
I think I've figured out how John Mohr does it. I'm positive it's all done with smoke and mirrors. I just don't see the mirrors.

Rick
Apr 02, 2015, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales
I see tons of vertical here and endless loops. But this is 1s.

Someone to tell me I am still awake.

What is the weight of that beauty?

Ok. I have seen the video again. The prop is gigantic and probably with very little pitch. So this is all for thrust, not speed.

Nevertheless I am amazed.
Reckon a good Champ could do something similar in windless indoor conditions.
Apr 02, 2015, 05:54 PM
Fly as high as the Sun
I was really wanting a new HH biplane, but I didn't expect it to be a micro....a four channel PT-17 just might break my "no more micros" rule. Love it.
Apr 02, 2015, 06:40 PM
Thank goodness it's a 1S - seriously. Love it.

Great subject, and I can also envision some paper model paper skins wrapped around that somewhat generic airframe!!! Buying spare wings may be a good source for some WWI scratchbuilds ... but at $25 a pop, I dunno.

Pretty chintzy, however, of HH to keep depleting their stock of 25C batteries rather than including the excellent 45C! (yes, the airplane doesn't appear to need a 45, but I found that battery to be MUCH more reliable and long lasting, and a much better complement to the longer motor).

Gene K
Apr 02, 2015, 10:22 PM
Just say no to quadcopters
I'm in!!!
I like the Pt-17 and the Whip-it.
Apr 02, 2015, 11:49 PM

Another superfluous plane - sigh

Well, another plane for modeler geeks who care about flying "real" planes with "authentic" details that, by horizons own admission, only push up the price.
Bummer. Clearly whomever is doing their focus testing needs to be fired.

Who ARE these modeling geeks who care 2 cents what a plane looks like or if it's a replica of an "authentic" model? Where do you come from? Do you have girlfriends? We you all dropped on your heads as children?

Horizon...please..stop the madness. No real RC Pilot (and I'll put my skills up against anyone here) cares one wit about "authentic" looking planes.

It's about PERFORMANCE and FLIGHT TIMES and HOW CHEAP IT IS TO OWN AND OPERATE.

I don't know of ONE SINGLE PERSON that care a rats behind if a plane is authentic.

I do know lots of people who want a crazy adrenaline rush from a well made plane that does not cost and arm and a leg because of superfluous details like fake engine parts of plastic pilot figures.

Comon Horizon, learn about basic marketing and market testing before you make any more planes!
Apr 03, 2015, 12:13 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
This one will break my no more 1s micros rule. LOVE the PT-17 and that video just sells it. Super looking flyer.

Instant hit I am sure HH, well done.

Marlin
Apr 03, 2015, 12:29 AM
I'd rather be flying!
Sun Eagle,

I assume your post must be a late April Fools' joke, right?? If not, you are obviously daft beyond question. Many TENS OF THOUSANDS of RC pilots enjoy building & flying scale planes. A huge number of them are advanced & expert-level pilots. After all, flying scale requires the most true talent.

Joel
Apr 03, 2015, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Eagle
Well, another plane for modeler geeks who care about flying "real" planes with "authentic" details that, by horizons own admission, only push up the price.
Bummer. Clearly whomever is doing their focus testing needs to be fired.

Who ARE these modeling geeks who care 2 cents what a plane looks like or if it's a replica of an "authentic" model? Where do you come from? Do you have girlfriends? We you all dropped on your heads as children?

Horizon...please..stop the madness. No real RC Pilot (and I'll put my skills up against anyone here) cares one wit about "authentic" looking planes.

It's about PERFORMANCE and FLIGHT TIMES and HOW CHEAP IT IS TO OWN AND OPERATE.

I don't know of ONE SINGLE PERSON that care a rats behind if a plane is authentic.

I do know lots of people who want a crazy adrenaline rush from a well made plane that does not cost and arm and a leg because of superfluous details like fake engine parts of plastic pilot figures.

Comon Horizon, learn about basic marketing and market testing before you make any more planes!
Hi, nice to meet you. I care about all the things you don't. Now you know one. Most of my hobbies involve "superfluous details" (restoring cars being chief among them). I have a beautiful wife and two children so your right about one thing.....no girlfriend!
Apr 03, 2015, 12:36 AM
I'd rather be flying!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99
This one will break my no more 1s micros rule. LOVE the PT-17 and that video just sells it. Super looking flyer.

Instant hit I am sure HH, well done.

Marlin
Hi Marlin!

Same here. I just have to get one of these. I'm looking forward to attempting to duplicate at least a portion of John Mohr's jaw-dropping aerobatic routine - right in the yard!

Joel

Quick Reply