Apr 01, 2015, 04:01 PM
Micro Helicopter Electrician
Thread OP
Discussion

60mm to 150mm Brushed & Brushless Micro Multirotor FPV Build Thread

I thought it would be nice to have a place for everyone to post their 80mm to 150mm Micro Multirotor FPV builds. There are a few FC's, Frames, FPV Cameras and VTX's available now so it might nice to see what people are doing with these amazing little machines.

I'll start it off with my just completed build.

I started with a 135mm Carbon Micro-H Frame by QuadFlyer, AlienWii Brushed Flight Controller and CL-0820-17 "Dark Edition" 8mm Motors from MMW.

I then used a 600TVL 120degree Wide Angle Super Mini FPV Camera from Surveilzone with the AltitudeRC - Nano 5.8G FPV VTX and TrueRC - 5.8 GHz Cloverleaf Nano RHCP Omni Antenna (3 Blade) from Ready Made RC for FPV.

I reinforced the top plate of the Micro-H Frame, built a slot to use velcro straps to attach the battery and mounted it below the main frame instead of above for a lower COG and a cleaner look. I added some 3mm LED's to help with orientation. The weight comes in at 49.57 grams without battery and 75.45 grams with a nano-tech 750mAh 35-70C battery.

I haven't been able to fly yet because I just got out of the hospital and am currently undergoing physical therapy on my right hand after surgery. I hope to be able to post some video soon when my hand gets better.

Let's get this discussion going.

Regards,
John
Last edited by 1Hammer; Jun 23, 2017 at 03:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2015, 04:18 PM
SosX U.S. Dealer
A work in progress. Have about 4 other micro fpv builds going on as well that I will post up as I finish.

-MMW micro H
-Hubsan flight controller
-Chaoli 0820-15 motors
-custom motor mounts
-Parrot rolling spider props
-AltitudeRC nano vtx
--Pico NTSC cam
-TruRC antenna
-750mah nanotech mounted under the frame
Apr 01, 2015, 04:21 PM
SQUIRREL PATROL
woah!!! nice job guys!! loving the skids man.
Apr 01, 2015, 04:41 PM
SosX U.S. Dealer
Quote:
Originally Posted by inap
woah!!! nice job guys!! loving the skids man.
Wheres your mean yellow alien powered machine James? That thing is awesome.
Apr 01, 2015, 05:28 PM
I am very glad to see someone has started this “brand agnostic” thread on this topic!

I actually have two builds I have put together in as many months. Nether have FPV gear yet. Both are built to different purposes. One is based on the Phoenix Flight Gear 110mm Carbon Fiber Micro-H Frame 7mm Motor Edition and the other is the Picnic Quads 120 Tiny Hawk foldable frame.

The 120 Tiny Hawk is a slightly larger platform. I built it to have a lower center of gravity (it is about at the point where the battery attaches to the frame) for substantial stability in exchange of speed and maneuverability. This is for more steady “camera work”. It will be capable of carrying much heavier FPV gear when I swap out the motors for something more robust.

The Phoenix Flight Gear 110mm Carbon Fiber Micro-H Frame is lighter and has a higher center of gravity (about 3 cm above the FC) and is built for speed and agility. It is kind of like a 250 racing quad in conception.

Here they are

120 Tiny Hawk
  • Tiny Hawk folding arm (8.5mm motor) Mirrored Polycarbonate ×4
  • Tiny Hawk Top Plate - Carbon fiber/Birch core ×1
  • Tiny Hawk Bottom Plate - Carbon fiber/Birch core ×1
  • Tiny Hawk hardware assembly Kit ×1
  • Tiny Hawk Polycarbonate frame spacer set ×1
  • Hubsan H107L FC
  • X4 Hubsan H107C/H107D 8.5x20mm Motors
  • Stock Hubsan X4 LEDs
  • Transparent Props for Hubsan X4 series
  • 2 bits of Velcro (one to attach and secure batteries, the other to adhere the Hubsan H107L FC to the base plate for easy removal

PFG 110 7mm
  • Phoenix Flight Gear 110mm Carbon Fiber Micro-H Frame 7mm Motor Edition with the additional top plate
  • Hubsan H107L FC
  • CL-0720-14 Hyper Speed Coreless Motor 7x20mmStock Motors
  • Transparent Props for Hubsan X4 series
  • Blade MCPx landing skid
  • A bit of Velcro as a shock suspension system for the FC
  • A bit of Velcro to undersling the battery
  • A bit of Velcro to attach the landing skid instead of the battery
  • Yet another bit of Velcro to attach the battery to the underside of the landing skid

I will be replacing the plastic skid with a carbon fiber option from Rakonheli. I keep breaking them upon landing because they are not exactly the strongest option out there.

I have ordered CNC Aluminum Landing Gear Base (Silver) for the Blade mCP X/Nano CPX, CNC CF Landing Skid Style 01 for the Blade mCP X, and the CNC CF Landing Skid Style 03 for the Blade mCP X. I’ll use whichever of those skids has the best strength, support, and weight savings. I will likely build an armature for the others to use with the the Tiny Hawk.

Below are images of the current setup.

Here are both together for comparative scale.

Last edited by Ayenn; Apr 02, 2015 at 02:40 PM.
Apr 01, 2015, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87
A work in progress. Have about 4 other micro fpv builds going on as well that I will post up as I finish.

-MMW micro H
-Hubsan flight controller
-Chaoli 0820-15 motors
-custom motor mounts
-Parrot rolling spider props
-AltitudeRC nano vtx
--Pico NTSC cam
-TruRC antenna
-750mah nanotech mounted under the frame
I like the custom motor mounts, did you print them yourself? If so, can you provide custom order service?

Also, some details on the landing skids would be cool....they look better than the MSR skids.

Thanks,
Steve
Apr 01, 2015, 05:42 PM
SosX U.S. Dealer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim
I like the custom motor mounts, did you print them yourself? If so, can you provide custom order service?

Also, some details on the landing skids would be cool....they look better than the MSR skids.

Thanks,
Steve
Unfortunately I lack the skills and equipment to print those mounts. They are experimental at the moment and I'm just testing them.

The skids I took off an old Walkera CB100 micro heli.
Apr 01, 2015, 05:57 PM
Ok, thanks. Please post if you can make the mounts available in the future.
Apr 01, 2015, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Hammer
I thought it would be nice to have a place for everyone to post their 110mm to 135mm Micro Quad FPV builds. There are a few FC's, Frames, FPV Cameras and VTX's available now so it might nice to see what people are doing with these amazing little machines.

I'll start it off with my just completed build.

I started with a 135mm Carbon Micro-H Frame by QuadFlyer, AlienWii Brushed Flight Controller and CL-0820-17 "Dark Edition" 8mm Motors from MMW.

I then used a ]600TVL 120degree Wide Angle Super Mini FPV Camera from Surveilzone with the AltitudeRC - Nano 5.8G FPV VTX and TrueRC - 5.8 GHz Cloverleaf Nano RHCP Omni Antenna (3 Blade) form Ready Made RC for FPV.

I reinforced the top plate of the Micro-H Frame, built a slot to use velcro straps to attach the battery and mounted it below the main frame instead of above for a lower COG and a cleaner look. I added some 3mm LED's to help with orientation. The weight comes in at 49.57 grams without battery and 75.45 grams with a nano-tech 750mAh 35-70C battery.

I haven't been able to fly yet because I just got out of the hospital and am currently undergoing physical therapy on my right hand after surgery. I hope to be able to post some video soon when my hand gets better.

Let's get this discussion going.

Regards,
John
Cool thread!! I've got a few myself. Here's my Mmw micro h with Alienwii and dark motors, RMRC pico cam with altitude vtx, great cam by the way.

I've got the PFG 110 also with the spektrum cam, but it's not nearly as fun as it's slightly bigger brother.

Why did you choose to mount the battery on the bottom? (Edit: Reread your post... May give it a try but it flies so good right now) - I imagine you would have to add some trim after arming? Or does it sit pretty level on the battery?

Side note... Man those mmw dark motors are pesky, I've gone through several trying to find a set that doesn't have one or two motors sounding like it has a bad bearing.
Apr 01, 2015, 06:20 PM
SQUIRREL PATROL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtrimpi87
Wheres your mean yellow alien powered machine James? That thing is awesome.
its been beat up big time, lols but here is currently.
fpv gear i bought from forum member don't know much about components.
other than that, its an alienwii with darkies on a micro-h frame. may switch to 15's when i burn all these out.

here is original concept
Apr 01, 2015, 08:53 PM
I'm Alienated
Hey 1hammer, nice deal. Benedikt is also getting a similar thing started on Vimeo for anyone interested. It is not the same as rc-groups but devoted to the Alien and MMW builds that people have going on. Here is a little video of my 110 mm carbon fiber racing quad from rc-drones made by Phoenix flight gear, Alien wii fc and 8.5 mm dark force motors. I don't have very good video gear as of yet but will be making better video hopefully in the not so distant future with new gear. Also my rates are just a little over 50% in this flight. Sorry for being out of frame some, this little thing can be a handful!
(3 min 51 sec)

Here is the link to the Vimeo page for the Micro Motor Alliance https://vimeo.com/groups/305430
Last edited by madman1412; Apr 02, 2015 at 10:38 AM.
Apr 01, 2015, 08:58 PM
Multirotor Promotor
planning a build , great thread
Apr 02, 2015, 12:35 AM
Cheap micro 110

- 1xSoSx WASP 110 frame (~20 USD)
- 1xJXD 392 w/ bradwii @250Kbits (13 USD)
- 4xJXD 392 8.5mmx20mm (10 USD)
- 4xJXD 392 props (3-4 USD)
- 1xTX5200m 200mW VTX (14 USD but the TX5200m is no more produced, can be replaced by a TX5823 (10 USD) in boscam band)
- 1xPoLoLu S7V8A (5 USD, set to output 3.9V)
- 1xSurveillzone camera (20 USD but can be replaced by the BG cheap model + M7 lens (15 USD))
- 1xMicroCL antenna (FPVhobby, 10 USD)
- 1x750mAh (4 USD)
- 1.25mm JST connector 2 pins (male & female, < 1 USD)

For Bradwii :

- 1x ST mini link V2
- 1.25mm JST connector 4 pins (2 males, 1 female)

7-8 min of flying time, controlled with last Nuitly build of DeviationTX including the 250 Kbit/s rate

If you want to reduce total price, you can take a JXD 392 BNF (36 USD) and replace the camera by your FPV gear ...
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Apr 02, 2015 at 01:15 AM.
Apr 02, 2015, 12:57 AM
I love that bradwii build. . I just don't have enough confidence in my coding skills to set one up.
Apr 02, 2015, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryh83
I love that bradwii build. . I just don't have enough confidence in my coding skills to set one up.

Really it's not very hard ..... I did some tutorial videos ..... It can help

Quick Reply