Improving the Sport Cub S RTF - RC Groups
Apr 01, 2015, 03:17 PM
Help!

Improving the Sport Cub S RTF

Hello,

I'm very new to this great hobby and have been loving my Sport Cub S from Hobby Zone. Two questions if you please:

1. I noticed right away that getting this plane to descend without turning down the throttle is almost impossible due to poor down elevator control. This almost led to my losing this plane, one which LOVES to climb (I wonder if they did that purposefully to help newbies keep the plane in the air). Has anyone encountered this, and how would you fix this?

2. How would one make this plane more impervious to wind? Making it heavier is my guess, though the next question would be -- where do you add the weight? Should I add some lead directly to the center of gravity? Do I add weight to the nose and the tail balancing these two? How would you go about doing this (or would this even be worthwhile).

Thank you,

David
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2015, 06:35 PM
1. Most beginner airplanes are setup so that they will climb at full throttle, fly level with moderate throttle, then descend with the throttle cut back to idle. If you wish to descend, just cut the throttle and let it glide down.

2. With more practice comes better skill. With better skill comes more wind tolerance.

Have you tried taking a look at the numerous HZSC threads posted about?
Apr 01, 2015, 07:35 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
David,
I suggest you hop on over to the micro RTF threads. There is a world of info there. If you add much weight to this plane it will fly very poorly. I have one and it is not a windy weather flyer!
Gary
Apr 01, 2015, 08:20 PM
Fair enough -- thanks all!

David
Apr 02, 2015, 06:43 AM
<<<<I|I>>>>
Quote:
Originally Posted by park_flyer_
I noticed right away that getting this plane to descend without turning down the throttle is almost impossible due to poor down elevator control.
I observed the same right out of the box and overshot the runway. Couldn't get the plane down reasonably despite full down elevator input. This was apparently designed into the beginner (default) flight mode to keep beginners from spiking their new plane, but is too exaggerated imo. Once I switched to advanced flight mode, I had full control of the elevator and other control surfaces and now it flies great.

You'll need to consult with the manual for setting up advanced mode (or intermediate) in your transmitter, if you're not using the RTF transmitter.

The glide ratio is amazing on this little Cub - even better than the UMX Radian.
Apr 02, 2015, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam
I observed the same right out of the box and overshot the runway. Couldn't get the plane down reasonably despite full down elevator input. This was apparently designed into the beginner (default) flight mode to keep beginners from spiking their new plane, but is too exaggerated imo. Once I switched to advanced flight mode, I had full control of the elevator and other control surfaces and now it flies great.

You'll need to consult with the manual for setting up advanced mode (or intermediate) in your transmitter, if you're not using the RTF transmitter.

The glide ratio is amazing on this little Cub - even better than the UMX Radian.
Yeah, I love to glide her. This is such a great slow flyer.

I'll have to go back and see how much further the elevator moves in the expert mode -- I think on mine I still didn't get much response (and certainly not as much movement as up elevator). I even moved the push rod up on the horn without much effect. I may have to adjust the rod so that elevator is down to begin with and then impart up elevator just to keep her aloft. It would be better than watching her sail out of the park while I'm mashing on the controls ...
Apr 05, 2015, 01:38 PM
South Carolina
Quote:

I'll have to go back and see how much further the elevator moves in the expert mode -- I think on mine I still didn't get much response (and certainly not as much movement as up elevator). I even moved the push rod up on the horn without much effect. I may have to adjust the rod so that elevator is down to begin with and then impart up elevator just to keep her aloft. It would be better than watching her sail out of the park while I'm mashing on the controls ...
Park Flyer, did you ever go to the other threads for help? There is a lot of information there - will take a few weeks to read it all!
Apr 06, 2015, 01:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBaker48
Park Flyer, did you ever go to the other threads for help? There is a lot of information there - will take a few weeks to read it all!
I did find the other posts on this plane. You're not kidding -- there is a lot of very useful information there.

Thanks very much!
Apr 06, 2015, 02:02 PM
Heli's rule!
In beginner mode you will certainly have trouble getting town till yo know the trick to it, but 8n advanced and even intermediate mode there is no lack of down at all, even with the control rod in the stock position. Sounds like you are just speculating that it looks like you might have trouble without having tried it.

BTW the trick to getting down in beginner mode is simply full aileron, along with full rudder in the same durection. That will bring it down even at full throttle.
Apr 06, 2015, 02:34 PM
Quote:

Just so you understand everything that's going on here...

I assume you're flying in beginner mode. The stabilization system on board won't allow the airplane to go below a certain down angle to help prevent crashing a model for a beginner.

That said, intermediate and experienced modes don't simply have "more control throw or deflection" as you alluded to in your above post. They actually change how the stabilization system functions.

In comparison to beginner mode, intermediate mode removes the stabilization part that causes the airplane to self-right rapidly. It changes to allow the aerodynamics of the model do the self-righting instead of the system. However, there is still the flight envelope that the system won't let the airplane out of (i.e. won't let you go inverted). Albeit expanded to a wider envelope over the beginner mode. Experienced is basically with all stabilization removed (other than standard AS3X, which just damps out wind and other affects). It won't limit you on pitch/roll angles, and will allow you to loop/roll the model.

In other words, control throw really isn't visually a whole lot different between modes, its how the system works in each mode thats different.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Seth Arnold
Horizon Hobby
Nov 09, 2017, 03:22 PM
I have two sport cub S and neither of them allows you to descend in beginning mode using the elevator....gravity is the only thing that works. I contacted horizon hobby support and they confirmed that this is the way the plane is designed. I don't care for this essentially total lack of control but that is the way it is. Of course, there's not much reason to fly in beginners mode once you get the slightest knack of flying under your belt. Intermediate and Advance mode fly wonderfully. And this plane loves to glide! It just hangs in the air when the power is cut. Overall it's a great plane. Just wish I had down elevator control in beginners mode.
Nov 13, 2017, 09:13 PM

This no down can be can be fixed easily

The initial setup for the Sports Cub S cost me an airplane last summer in wind that I can easily handle now. I got downwind and adding throttle just cause climb and faster downwind drift backing the throttle off likewise allowed faster downwind drift. That plane went through a combine out in a 60 acre corn field this fall!!

Just move the elevator push rod inward (closer to the hinge line) two holes and presto you have DOWN elevator. You can use full throttle and still stay level or descend when heading into the wind while in beginner mode.

I don't think the original setup is doing a beginner any favors and I'm sure I'm not the only one to lose their plane because of it.

Yes, I know I could of hit the mode switch and gotten control but in the heat of the moment I drew a blank about that option.