Thread Tools
Oct 31, 2016, 02:48 PM
RobKit--Sweden
robkit's Avatar

Scaling...


Gentlemen,,, how do you normally scale the characteristics when up-scaling the model? i mean if I scale any model to 200%, they loose most of their intended character,,, specially speed and they get very "floaty"..
Hope you understand how I mean.. //Rob
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2016, 02:50 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Kinda like this?

Look for it under "performance planes" rather than amphibious.
First two pictures are my normal Blender side and perspective shots.
The third picture is a close up of the floats in Builder.
The little green circles are "buoyant collision meshes" - that's what make it float.
And if you look closely you'll also see faux wheels so it lands and rolls nicely on grass.

Enjoy, rick p
Honor thy plane builder!
Oct 31, 2016, 08:22 PM
Registered User
roidspop's Avatar
Just now got a copy of the Voyager; I've fiddled with it a bit to get it to approximate the performance of Pat Tritle's version. As many here will know, Pat is famous for his incredible line of scale models which he designs like free-flight models for the lightness that allows scale-like speeds on low-power motors. I've seen his Voyager fly and to get roughly the same behavior in Rick's I reduced the weight to 1 lb and thrust to 10%; it looks very, very close to what I saw back when. It was stately, slow but scale-like, very stable, gorgeous in the air. I've never had the gumption to build one of Pat's models because frankly, I can't cover worth a hoot. This Voyager sure fills in for the one I didn't build! Great plane.
Oct 31, 2016, 10:38 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Kinda like this?

Look for it under "performance planes" rather than amphibious.
First two pictures are my normal Blender side and perspective shots.
The third picture is a close up of the floats in Builder.
The little green circles are "buoyant collision meshes" - that's what make it float.
And if you look closely you'll also see faux wheels so it lands and rolls nicely on grass.

Enjoy, rick p
Thanks is quite awesome. very interesting flying characteristics, beautiful and fun
Nov 01, 2016, 07:42 AM
better is enemy of good enough
rickp's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by roidspop
Just now got a copy of the Voyager; I've fiddled with it a bit to get it to approximate the performance of Pat Tritle's version. As many here will know, Pat is famous for his incredible line of scale models which he designs like free-flight models for the lightness that allows scale-like speeds on low-power motors. I've seen his Voyager fly and to get roughly the same behavior in Rick's I reduced the weight to 1 lb and thrust to 10%; it looks very, very close to what I saw back when. It was stately, slow but scale-like, very stable, gorgeous in the air. I've never had the gumption to build one of Pat's models because frankly, I can't cover worth a hoot. This Voyager sure fills in for the one I didn't build! Great plane.
Glad it works for you, roidspop.
Your tuning is neat - totally changes the nature of the Voyager - I like it.

Playing around with it, I changed the stab trim to 0, -1 so it didn't climb so aggressively at full throttle.
Also decreased the pitch to 50% as it seemed a bit much for such a stately aircraft.

Thanks, rick p
Nov 01, 2016, 07:46 AM
better is enemy of good enough
rickp's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkit
Gentlemen,,, how do you normally scale the characteristics when up-scaling the model? i mean if I scale any model to 200%, they loose most of their intended character,,, specially speed and they get very "floaty"..
Hope you understand how I mean.. //Rob
Do understand what you mean - try increasing the weight of your aircraft and see if that fixes things.

rick p
Nov 01, 2016, 07:47 AM
better is enemy of good enough
rickp's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drra
Thanks is quite awesome. very interesting flying characteristics, beautiful and fun
Indeed it is fun - thanks for suggesting it. rick p
Nov 01, 2016, 08:04 AM
better is enemy of good enough
rickp's Avatar
Thread OP

Great Paint Scheme Site


Check out the variety of static models available at DogFighter.Com.

Don't know anything about their models, but they're a great source for paint scheme images.
A Bf-109 picture sent to me by Feathered Prop lead to that link.

Enjoy, rick p
Nov 01, 2016, 02:47 PM
Registered User
roidspop's Avatar
After following your lead on the Voyager changes, I came up with this:

CG: -0.3 ft
Thrust: 10%
Pitch: 75%
Pitch Trim: 0%

At half throttle it cruises at a little over 14 mph. No big pitch changes with power. Climb at full throttle is reasonable. Glide is at about 13 mph. Enough elevator to round out and flare for landing. Floaty! Anyway, we've got a nice range of settings here that are pretty authentic. Thanks for doing this one up for us!
Nov 01, 2016, 05:57 PM
Drew Buckley
drewdb's Avatar
Here's the detailed Panthera. Posted the wrong one before.

I have my fleet set up to add new planes and render with a model of a model

The other pic is how it should look in Phoenix.

Will post the final CTLS soon.

Rick i'm happy to pick up that jet
Nov 02, 2016, 01:43 AM
Drew Buckley
drewdb's Avatar
And here's the final CTLS Freewing 2 Door.

As advertised by my Pilot/Model

Enjoy. Next
Nov 02, 2016, 07:54 AM
Suspended Account
Hahaha Drew.. Looks really good, I am looking forward to flying it in a few minutes!
Nov 02, 2016, 09:35 AM
Drew Buckley
drewdb's Avatar
Cheers Super. Hope you enjoy it
Nov 02, 2016, 12:57 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdb
Here's the detailed Panthera. Posted the wrong one before.

I have my fleet set up to add new planes and render with a model of a model

The other pic is how it should look in Phoenix.

Will post the final CTLS soon.

Rick i'm happy to pick up that jet
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdb
And here's the final CTLS Freewing 2 Door.

As advertised by my Pilot/Model

Enjoy. Next
awesome!

I will test them tonight

That ctls picture is now on my wallpaper folder

so you will do the T-45?
Nov 02, 2016, 03:39 PM
Registered User
GunHed's Avatar
Here is another one of the Mr. Gunnerson's creations. I had to convert this one, because my friend own one and sometimes I fly it too
Last edited by GunHed; Nov 03, 2016 at 02:51 PM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools