Oct 14, 2016, 05:13 AM
Hello Drewdb.

Very nice Caravan. You really has something to teach us as Rick said.
BTW, your meshes looks like a product of some of the nurbs type modeler. Perhaps an Rhino or something like that. What SW are you using to create them? Also you look like very experienced 3D modeler. Your female pilot has quality of "Second Life" models.
One more question. You did not found the private messages feature of this forum yet, or simply do not answer them :-). I will understand that.

Have a nice day and keep up good work.

Miro
to remove ads between posts
Oct 14, 2016, 05:17 AM
Super_Rotary please check this:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=732
Oct 14, 2016, 06:13 AM
Drew Buckley
Sorry Gunhed i haven't. i'll try to find private message now. Sorry.

I use Blender but i have been modeling for some time now. started with 3D Max but Blender has it all for free

I do labour over the mesh though. For some reason i need things to be perfect but is starting to take too long now Starting to think "Close enough is good enough"

Hahahha yes the pilot is a mesh i did for someone on second life Finally found a good use

I totally appreciate the great feedback from my modeling. Means alot to me and i'm learning so much about planes too only recently got into RC planes so still have sooo much to learn
Oct 14, 2016, 06:38 AM
Drew Buckley
Just in case anyone is interested in a close up detail of the female pilot i did, here she is. Just a screen grab not a render.

Please let me know if adding her as a pilot is too much and i can do the planes without her
Oct 14, 2016, 07:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdb
Sorry Gunhed i haven't. i'll try to find private message now. Sorry.

I use Blender but i have been modeling for some time now. started with 3D Max but Blender has it all for free

I do labour over the mesh though. For some reason i need things to be perfect but is starting to take too long now Starting to think "Close enough is good enough"

Hahahha yes the pilot is a mesh i did for someone on second life Finally found a good use

I totally appreciate the great feedback from my modeling. Means alot to me and i'm learning so much about planes too only recently got into RC planes so still have sooo much to learn
Hard to know exactly when you're done sometimes.
Helps to remember that our models are pretty small and are moving across the screen, so indeed "close enough is good enough".

That said, here's an example of struggling with how much detail to model.
The attached screen shot is of the B-36 cockpit area. You can see the basic fuselage mesh with a reference image behind it.
Normally I like to model canopy bows rather than just paint them on, but this will be a bit of work.
Will I do it? Certainly gonna try, as it will look much better if incorporated into the mesh.
UPDATE: finished mesh of the upper cockpit is shown in the after shot.

rick p
Last edited by rickp; Oct 14, 2016 at 08:26 AM.
Oct 14, 2016, 07:31 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drra
rickp you need to remember to add latest versions of the two yak-52, Grob and the two P. Panthera in the index

I am flying Grumman Goose I went to the index to see if I had downloaded it here, but I don't see it here. maybe it was a phoenixrc download then.
Updated - glad you're using the index.

Goose is from Phoenix, not a user-made model as far as I can tell.

Thanks, rick p
Oct 14, 2016, 08:03 AM
Drew Buckley
Yes for sure Rick. I like to imagine that people like myself ......... might ............ when resting between flights (perhaps with a beer ) might zoom in and look it over? who knows

But seriously yes a real plane does have too much detail to portray here and i agree that knowing where to stop is hard. The B-36 looks like it will be awesome.
Oct 14, 2016, 08:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Yes for sure Rick. I like to imagine that people like myself ......... might ............ when resting between flights (perhaps with a beer ) might zoom in and look it over? who knows

But seriously yes a real plane does have too much detail to portray here and i agree that knowing where to stop is hard. The B-36 looks like it will be awesome.
It's gonna be a kick that's for sure!
Thinking I'll make it a gasser for maximum engine noise, but easy to convert to electric if wanted. rick p
Oct 14, 2016, 08:48 AM
Drew Buckley
I think the B-36 certainly needs a lot of noise for sure
Oct 14, 2016, 11:35 AM
Suspended Account
Wow, that B-36 is coming along nicely! I say noise too, I know from the videos that exist that this was a beast flying overhead. Old Russia would of known for sure. Fun fact, they turned off the jets at cruise altitude to save fuel, the jet nacelles had a cone that closed off to keep the engine from running dry.

Kinda been giggling the last few days, here I am having trouble loading pre made planes in my sim and you guys are making an Air Force big enough for the solar system! Im thankful for all the help

Dan
Oct 14, 2016, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Hahahha

I think this is it. Think i'm getting a reputation for the designer fun stuff

I want to give Howard Huses Spruce Goose a shot next then i'll do this if this is it?
Yep

I poste a lot of stuff about it here
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s#post35797286

Hope you can make both version with wheels and with floats as in the caravan too
Oct 14, 2016, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Just in case anyone is interested in a close up detail of the female pilot i did, here she is. Just a screen grab not a render.

Please let me know if adding her as a pilot is too much and i can do the planes without her
Add it I love her airplanes are sexy then you add a sexy pilot and t starts to smoke

Aerobatics S. Kopanina Woman Pilot From the Cockpit View Russian Aerobatic Pilot Video prohibitively (10 min 33 sec)
Oct 14, 2016, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Updated - glad you're using the index.

Goose is from Phoenix, not a user-made model as far as I can tell.

Thanks, rick p
Mmm I have it in green letters, phoenixrc add user made models too that you can download from the sim

Regarding detail I think is up to the artist to decide how much they want to add.

Every body is deferent. I personally am a very visually driven individual so I do appreciate details.

Also for me cockpit details is important in a model. I do prefer models with cockpit details, pilots, seat instrument panel.

That is one fo the reason I got so interested in the freewing CTLS model in the first place and then I researched the real airplane and got even more interested, If that model would have had just black windows or just a black decal as a windows it would have not gotten my attention at all.

Would I prefer a Durafly Thundra with Clear windows and Cockpit details instead of a back decal, Oh yeas. Maybe that is why I don't have one yet.

Then look at the Grob what do you think gets me crazy about it, just the unique lines of the design?, yes it is awesome and unique, but the epo model has a lovely cockpit with clear windows and pilots.

If I hade the skill you guys have I think I would enjoy taking some of the models rickp has made and add cockpit details rather then building the hole thing from scratch. That would be my thing.

Would I enjoy a Yak-52 with clear windows a couple of pilots and some instrument, of curse. Can I enjoy it with out it well yes, would I enjoy it more with those details of curse.

But the most important thing is the flying characteristics of the airplane, the sim is an instrument to practice flight then if you can get the extra candy eye stuff is just that an extra.

Do I love the detailed landing gear on the yak-52 yes, do I enjoy the antennas rickp added to it, yes, could I fly it with out the antennas and with just simple landing gear, yes.

At the end is all about passion and fun, so each modeler concentrate in what it gives him more pleasure.

I have seen rchobbiest take an airplane , like some cessnas 182 that have clear windows, and seat inside and just paint the plastic windows black. worst I have seen in the freewing CTLS people putting decal over the windows to me that is a huge crime but they don't care about it, they pimp their models but getting rid of the awesome windows and hiding all the cockpit detail.

So there are people that will not appreciate or care about details on a SIM models and other that will do, so is up to the modeler that gives life to the sim model to made them in a way that it gives them pleasure to them and keeps the hard work fun.

Regarding the SIM I have been enjoying making them bigger and yesterday I discovered that the size slider goes just to 200% But that is not the max the sim can goes you can made them even bigger whe you go and change the size model in the left menu in the editing window.

And then obviously details are enjoyed even more.

I actually was thinking why not to add nav light and one landing light on the models? rickp Made an awesome vapor that has leds and I enjoy it so much to see it flying with those lights, Maybe all model could have some. Y tried to fly the panthera in a night airfield yesterday and I thought about it, and the good thing is that can be enjoyed in day light too, the vapor led can be seen in day airfields very well.

In this case for example you can even see the electronics inside the airplane, do I enjoy that , Yes, but I would rather see a pilot or a sexy pilot like drewdb pilot inside and some instrument than some servos
For some reason the videos player is not loading up on the forum today
https://youtu.be/xkE8gXbDShc?t=36s
Last edited by Drra; Oct 14, 2016 at 02:18 PM.
Oct 14, 2016, 02:09 PM

CAD question

Talking about other topic

I have been thinking. Can the models you guys are making be easily transferred to CAD? Or saved as a cad file?

I wounder because you already have done the hardest part of taking a model from pictures or 2d plans in to a 3D model and maybe that info could be used to make a real rc model-

For example using that info with this software specificly designed for RC models http://www.devcad.com/eng/products.asp So maybe if that is possible it would be nice to share the cad files then if somebody want to build, lets say a RC P. Panthera they could use those CAD files with this software and build one for real.

Oh drewdb I was going to ask you If you could record your screen when your are working on a model from start to finish maybe other people could follow alone and learn how to do it too No need to like make a tutorial just record your workflow and people can stop rewind etc and follow along and learn from it?
Last edited by Drra; Oct 14, 2016 at 02:19 PM.
Oct 14, 2016, 02:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drra
Talking about other topic

I have been thinking. Can the models you guys are making be easily transferred to CAD? Or saved as a cad file?

I wounder because you already have done the hardest part of taking a model from pictures or 2d plans in to a 3D model and maybe that info could be used to make a real rc model-

For example using that info with this software specificly designed for RC models http://www.devcad.com/eng/products.asp So maybe if that is possible it would be nice to share the cad files then if somebody want to build, lets say a RC P. Panthera they could use those CAD files with this software and build one for real.

Oh drewdb I was going to ask you If you could record your screen when your are working on a model from start to finish maybe other people could follow alone and learn how to do it too No need to like make a tutorial just record your workflow and people can stop rewind etc and follow along and learn from it?
Drra,

With respect to a tutorial, take a look at this thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2620565

It's not that difficult from a technical perspective, but does take a bit of persistence and attention to detail.

Enjoy, rick p

Quick Reply