Jul 31, 2015, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Started out as a texturing exercise, but ended up being something else.

Had been struggling with generating a single file textures for more complex models, so thought I'd drop back to something simple.
Like a classic Guillow's Glider.

Got it textured as intended, but it was boring to fly.
Just went straight down-hill like an uncontrolled glider should.

So added four channel control and a small electric motor to make it more interesting.
You can't see the control surfaces or faux motor as there are no meshes.

But it's a fun thing to fly, even if my wife says "that's cheating".

Enjoy, rick p
interesting your way but i think is too much hard find the right composition for complex models.. we'll can keep with our way!

ps. i send to you a mail
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2015, 09:03 AM

A request: E-flite Mini Funtana 3D

Lots of skill exhibited here! Kudos to you!

I have for a long time wanted a Phoenix model of the E-flite Mini Funtana 3D, but I do not possess the skill you have.

I can scale the Hangar 9 Funtana 90 down 50% which gets close. After scaling the wingspan is 1 meter wheras the mini funtana is 940 mm. Visually the appearence is close enough.

However, the flying characteristics is what counts, and I have no idea if they are even close to the real Mini Funtana.

Can you help me, either create a good Phoenix model or give me some pointers on how to replicate the flying characteristics? I know this is an old model so chances that any of you has one is small. But I could be lucky
Aug 01, 2015, 09:58 AM
better is enemy of good enough
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb47
Lots of skill exhibited here! Kudos to you!

I have for a long time wanted a Phoenix model of the E-flite Mini Funtana 3D, but I do not possess the skill you have.

I can scale the Hangar 9 Funtana 90 down 50% which gets close. After scaling the wingspan is 1 meter wheras the mini funtana is 940 mm. Visually the appearence is close enough.

However, the flying characteristics is what counts, and I have no idea if they are even close to the real Mini Funtana.

Can you help me, either create a good Phoenix model or give me some pointers on how to replicate the flying characteristics? I know this is an old model so chances that any of you has one is small. But I could be lucky
Thanks tb47 - appreciate the compliment.

Any idea how the flying characteristics of the Mini Funtana differ from the Funtana 90?

That seems key to me, as there are a ton of things we could change in PhoenixRC besides just scaling that would change how it flies.
And tweaking it in PhoenixRC is a whole lot faster than building a totally new model from scratch.

Regards, rick p
Aug 01, 2015, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Any idea how the flying characteristics of the Mini Funtana differ from the Funtana 90?
That's a very good question I wish I could answer

I can only guess. One guess would be that the electric mini Funtana will have a higher thrust/weight ratio than a glow powered model. But I do not know.

It is possible that a skilled user can learn something from the specs I linked to. Things like weight may say something about inertia but you would still have to make an educated guess about how the weight is distributed and how that affects rotational attributes. One guess would be that most of the mass of the electric would be closer to the CG. This guess is based on the idea that batteries contribute a large part of the mass opposed to the engine in the nose of the Funtana 90.

Based on the manual there are two possible positions for the main wing.

The manual recommends batteries in the 1800-2200mAh range but I've seen reports that it flies better with lighter batteries, perhaps as small as 1300mAh.

I did try to open the scaled variant in Phoenix Builder to get an idea of what can be tuned. It didn't work for me. The variant seems to be stored with a .var extension, but Phoenix Builder looks for .modx, .sitx and .schx by default. If I force it to open the .var file nothing is shown.

Thank you for replying to my request! I know it does not constitute a commitment to create the model but I do appreciate your willingness to help.
Aug 01, 2015, 11:34 AM

Boeing 777-200 for phoenix simulator

i'm glad to present the final version of the boeing 777-200 with the first texture of Alitalia!

special thanks to Rick! he's help me really much and done much work on this model, done almost everything, from adding the meshes to builder till get this final version!

soon new textures

for special requests of textures, please e-mail me at [email protected]

thank you rick!!

(ps.. rick, the texture on this version attached is the definitive version of alitalia, done better!)

have fun!

Damiano
Last edited by damiano; Aug 01, 2015 at 11:51 AM. Reason: edit with a new texture!
Aug 01, 2015, 10:32 PM
Thread OP

Boeing 777 - UPDATED in post 1722

Damiano,

It was a pleasure working with you on the 777!
In truth, we each learned things from the other, which is how a project should be.

Looking forward to flying all the textures you created, including the definitive Alitalia.
And thank you very much for the Southwest Airlines California version - one of my favorite planes.

Regards, rick p

PS: NOTE THAT ALL FOUR BOEINGS ARE UPDATED IN POST 1722
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1722
Last edited by rickp; Aug 15, 2019 at 05:26 PM.
Aug 02, 2015, 12:03 AM
Thread OP

Funtana tuning

tb47,

It seems to me that you need a set of plans for the mini-Funtana to allow you to get the overall geometry right.
After that you set the weight, power and CG; and you'll get whatever flight characteristics that Phoenix gives you.
By the way, all of that can be done with the PhoenixRC editor - no need to use Phoenix Builder.
If the PhoenixRC editing approach doesn't pan out, we can always drop back to building a new 3D model.
But for that, a set of plans is even more critical.

I did a quick search for plans and didn't come up with anything useful.
You might have better luck, or maybe Horizon Hobby can provide a set.

Regards, rickp
Aug 02, 2015, 04:36 AM
Quote:
Damiano,

It was a pleasure working with you on the 777!
In truth, we each learned things from the other, which is how a project should be.

Looking forward to flying all the textures you created, including the definitive Alitalia.
And thank you very much for the Southwest Airlines California version - one of my favorite planes.

Regards, rick p
was a pleasure for me too!

thank you so much!
Aug 03, 2015, 07:25 AM
Thread OP

777 Texture Screenshots

So you can appreciate the textures created by Damiano for this great flying plane.

rick p
Last edited by rickp; Aug 03, 2015 at 08:11 AM. Reason: updated Alitalia texture
Aug 03, 2015, 07:50 AM
Quote:
So you can appreciate the textures created by Damiano for this great flying plane.

rick p
have you still the old texture of Alitalia version?
Aug 03, 2015, 11:48 AM

New Texture!

Thai Airways, done!
Aug 17, 2015, 05:18 PM
Thread OP

Three F6F Hellcats

In remembrance of my dad, who flew these as a Navy enlisted AP pilot.

Tri-camo version flown in combat.
Multi-color UA version used to tow targets.
Red "Red Dog" version used as a target drone.

These were interesting to build and are fun to fly.

Enjoy, rick p

NOTE: These models have been replaced by the versions in post #478

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=478

Simulator 2015 08 17 14 55 54 56 (0 min 53 sec)
Last edited by rickp; Feb 08, 2018 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Added video
Aug 18, 2015, 06:05 AM
Quote:
In remembrance of my dad, who flew these as a Navy enlisted AP pilot.

Tri-camo version flown in combat.
Multi-color UA version used to tow targets.
Red "Red Dog" version used as a target drone.

These were interesting to build and are fun to fly.

Enjoy, rick p

https://youtu.be/XkW9blKjxBw
fly so good!! always compliments for your job!!
Aug 18, 2015, 07:24 AM
Thread OP
Thanks damiano!

Quick Reply