Sep 21, 2021, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
The Junkers D.I was a late WW-I monoplane notable as the first all metal fighter to enter service.
Most WW-I aircraft were biplanes, so this makes for an interesting alternative in Phoenix.
Flies nicely, with typical WW-I barnstorming performance and no particularly bad habits.
Herman improved my tune a bit, and we have he and Kathi to thank for the demo flights.
He gave us a nice barnstorming flight at Rubi, while Kathi did a bit of slope soaring at Szekrenyes.

Tour: https://youtu.be/u3BDn4ALxJ4

Rubi Flight: https://youtu.be/xY639jnNhUM

Szekrenyes Flight: https://youtu.be/-z6z8uubQWo

Unzip and install the pkg file normally and you'll find "Junkers D.I" in the scale list.

Fly safe! rick
Nice, nice, nice, NICE! A very nice counterpart to your bristol monoplane model too from way back!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 23, 2021, 12:30 AM

The Devil...a big CP quadcopter

Hey all, long time. Well it's done! This one was a bucket-lister for me when I started user-built models in Blender.

I wished I could design and present an entire model from scratch, then prove it's viabilty in the sim. I chose the
collective pitch quadcopter because I thought it was a better way to get inverted flight than the reversible motors
and explosive ESCs on the other types of multi-rotors.
Curtis Youngblood developed the Stingray 500 CP quad (single motor/single belt) and does amazing 3D with a
quad this big. His design uses prop feathering on the opposed props, controlled by a complex controller program.
I went with a three-belt system (purely mechanical) where the opposed blades speed-up or slow-down conversely,
like your normal quad. This is done with a CVT main transmission belt (like your riding lawnmower) and two long
belts, out to the diagonal corners, with common parts from RC-10 carpet-racing touring cars. (yes, I'm car crazy, too!)
It's large...790mm from corner to corner and has 75% of the swept prop area of a 700 size copter. It only weighs
half as much, even with a huge battery for long flights.

I'm no 3D heli-pilot, but here's a Video...
The Devil CP 500 (3 min 6 sec)

Flying tips; With your TX set-up as fixed-wing, it will fly upright only. If you have a Heli-profile, it will come alive
in Idle-up or "Stunt" mode...(inverted, tick-tocks, pirrouettes and some that 3d heli-s can't even dream of). And here's
a reminder to put in some expo (to your liking, maybe 30% for pitch/roll and 20% yaw ) as mine is all in the TX.
I added an Auto-pilot mode that is set-up for "Landing assist" on the "Panic switch Held" so it will hold still while you
set it down on the Talons (which retract on "Gear"). The Auto-pilot could be modified, if you wish, for flight envelope.

Just a couple of days of tuning and practicing and my other choppers are flying better now, too

Happy Flying,
Wiz
Sep 23, 2021, 10:12 AM
better is enemy of good enough
Thread OP

Way Cool!

I like that quad, especially the blinking LEDs.

Quads are usually a big problem for me as I easily lose orientation, so the LEDs are a big help.
Lots of detail here, folks. Edit and zoom in to see all of Wiz's interesting work.

Thanks Wiz! rick
Sep 23, 2021, 10:22 AM
Thanks Rick, glad you gave it a try! (It took me long enough!)

Wiz

ps. It comes with a bag and a magnet, to gather up all 66 bearings
Last edited by WizofWires; Sep 23, 2021 at 10:55 AM. Reason: smart-alec commentary
Sep 23, 2021, 05:03 PM
My name is Naga
Great model Wiz a lot of detail in there.

Have you / will you build a model IRL?

I was aware of Curtis Youngblood's quad. Also HobbyKing used to offer one, Assault Reaper 500. Now discontinued.
Last edited by nagas; Sep 23, 2021 at 05:32 PM.
Sep 24, 2021, 10:17 AM
My name is Naga
Post Error
Last edited by nagas; Sep 24, 2021 at 10:29 AM.
Sep 24, 2021, 10:51 AM
My name is Naga

Pitts Sky Car Ornithopter (1928)

We have all seen the movies of this early ornithopter pumping and bouncing and had a good laugh.

However, the idea was not quite as ridiculous as it may seem at first sight.

The "umbrella" was not just a simple membrane which of course would be unable to provide any lift. It was in fact an ingenious and sophisticated device that had been well thought out even if it wasn't successful.

It was composed of sixty radial slats that opened on the upstroke allowing air to pass through and closed on the downstroke trapping and forcing air down. In addition, it also spun on each stroke in an attempt to generate more lift. These movements were driven by a complex mechanism with gears and cranks to generate the spin and reciprocation. 

"Jack" John W. Pitts filed a Patent for his idea in 1924 which was granted in 1926. Pitts, in collaboration with W. P. Kindree constructed two versions, the first of which was tested in 1928. 

Apart from the Patent and newsreel movies that were made, little more is known about Pitts or his aircraft. 

The first version which is modelled here was powered by a 65 hp engine of unknown manufacture. The second version was much more robust but weighed a massive 1,200 Kg (!) and was powered by a Curtis OX-5 90 hp engine.

As It was not possible to determine the manufacture of the engine used in the first version, the Curtis engine is the one modelled.

Phoenix Model.

The reciprocating action seen in the model is not something Phoenix can accomplish natively and therefore uses a Sequencer in a Spektrum Tx to drive the animation. The signal is on Ch5, and in Phoenix the Gear should be allocated to that channel as is usually the case. The included SPM should function with most recent Spektrum transmitters. If you choose not to use use the SPM, you can view the movement by flipping the Gear switch on your Tx, she will still fly but of course that is not as much fun!

Engine sounds are also included which were derived from a recording made of a real Curtis OX-5

Install the .pkg as normal and you should find her under Scale Helicopters.

Have a good laugh, she is fun to fly!

As the file is too big to post on RCGroups, you can download here.

Demonstration Video. Inspired by the News Reel video below:

Pitts Sky Car "Umbrella" Ornithopter (2 min 8 sec)

News Reel Video:

1920s "Sky Car" Early Helicopter Design (0 min 27 sec)
Last edited by nagas; Sep 25, 2021 at 05:10 AM.
Sep 24, 2021, 07:15 PM
Thread OP

Cut It Out!

You're having too much fun with Phoenix, Naga!
Incredible detail, with the engine alone a work of art in its own right.

Over the top fun with or without the spm file, but the Pitts is certainly more fun with it.
That said, I couldn't figure out which channel controls the pilot's "hand gestures".

And your video is downright hilarious, while the newsreel is downright scary.

Enough typing - I need to fly it some more.

Well done, Dr. Detail. rick
Sep 25, 2021, 06:12 AM

Please, don’t cut it out!………...

Naga my friend,

what else is there left to say that Rick has not already said?
The model is simply a masterpiece!...

Dr. Detail at his best!.....

We all together have just one extremely important question!
You know how it is with those uneducated foreigners (like us) needing an extra explanation for everything or even better a thick manual!.......

How and under which channel do you realize the "hand movement" of the pilot?.....…
Sep 25, 2021, 06:24 AM

Now on translator duty!

Hi Wiz,

Regarding your Devil CP 500.

Since you released the quad, we didn’t get a chance to try it, our quad crazy daughter won’t share the transmitter!
(The living room PC is occupied territory!)
Not even for a short test flight!

Our little one is full of praise for your quad!……
Quote: “Tell him this is the first quad in Phoenix which behaves almost like a real one! Just great, I love it!…………”

Wiz, it seems you have another loyal fan!………….
Sep 25, 2021, 08:34 AM
My name is Naga
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp

You're having too much fun with Phoenix, Naga!
Incredible detail, with the engine alone a work of art in its own right.

Over the top fun with or without the spm file, but the Pitts is certainly more fun with it.
That said, I couldn't figure out which channel controls the pilot's "hand gestures".

And your video is downright hilarious, while the newsreel is downright scary.

Enough typing - I need to fly it some more.

Well done, Dr. Detail. rick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana 45

Naga my friend,

what else is there left to say that Rick has not already said?
The model is simply a masterpiece!...

Dr. Detail at his best!.....

We all together have just one extremely important question!
You know how it is with those uneducated foreigners (like us) needing an extra explanation for everything or even better a thick manual!.......

How and under which channel do you realize the "hand movement" of the pilot?.....…
Guys! Thanks for the accolades!!!

I am on a roll at the moment!

With reference to the "hand gestures"; for the video, four different models were made. The first model is the one you can download and fly. The second model was made with exaggerated jumping and bouncing movements, the easiest way to get that movie clip. Two more models were made, one with the "finger" and the fourth model in the set for the "thumbs up".

That video took a lot of work but was great fun to make. Each of the caption boards not only needed making in Photoshop, but a series each for the apparent jumping of the film in the projector. The same with the black and white shot of the original aircraft.

Then for the "News Reel" style clips of the Pitts Air Car model, two other videos acted as overlays, one with the scratches and a second with the grunge, hair and dust. Those caused a lot of problems as they were downloaded off the web as 4K .mov files. Although they seemed fine while editing, when the video was exported from Premier Pro they didn't render correctly. I needed to convert them to 1920 x1080 Windows avi format. Each export took five hours to render! But it was all worth it in the end.

More models to come shortly ...
Sep 27, 2021, 07:36 AM
Thread OP

Westland Wyvern

Perhaps the last British warbird before the jet era, the carrier-based Westland Wyvern had contra-rotating props to mitigate torque.
And it's just one of those aircraft that looks "purposeful". One look and you know you want to fly it!

All the normal Phoenix bells and whistles - retracts and flaps, plus lights to make it more visible on final approach.
The final tune is a mash up of my original tune plus inputs from Herman and Kathi. Thanks gang!
Fast, but not too fast; and trimmed for level flight at full throttle.

Tour:
Westland Wyvern Tour (0 min 30 sec)

Flight:
Westland Wyvern Flight (2 min 11 sec)

Unzip and install the pkg file normally and you'll find "Westland Wyvern" in the scale list.

Cheers! rick
Sep 28, 2021, 08:39 AM
Thread OP

He 111

I used to think that I knew a lot about airplanes, particularly warbirds.
But making Phoenix models has opened my eyes to the fact that I know next to nothing.
Sure, I can pretty much identify any aircraft that I find in a US museum, but that's just scratching the surface.
There have been a lot of warbirds manufactured in the last 100+ years - a lot!
Which means that I'll never run out of new ones to build for Phoenix!

Meanwhile, here's the iconic He 111 - one of the most prolific German WW-II bombers.
Lots of detail here with the asymmetrical nose and all those windows, so it was an interesting build.
Thanks as always to Katana and Herman for their tuning and flight demo assistance.
And I almost forgot - Katana created a very cool Jumo 211 engine sound.
Look for Heinkel He 111 Motorsound.zip at this link of sounds.
Try this one out - it has lots of presence in the air.

Tour:
He 111 Tour (0 min 45 sec)

Demo flight:
He 111 Flight (3 min 27 sec)

Unzip and install the pkg file normally and you'll find "He 111" in the scale list.

Enjoy! rick
Last edited by rickp; Sep 28, 2021 at 06:07 PM.
Sep 28, 2021, 10:31 AM
My name is Naga
Two great models you have posted.

Wonderful engine sounds and great flying; I bet the is Herman at the controls. Wish I had those skills.

And I know what you mean about learning about aircraft when making Phoenix models, part of the fun for me has been learning about early helicopters. If you model it you have to know what's there so studying the structure is essential.
Sep 28, 2021, 04:43 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Mr. Rick, the He 111 is absolutely superb! Well done!

Quick Reply