Originally Posted by macchi202

You did a great job, thanks Rickp
You are very welcome, and that's some fancy flying you did there. Cheers, rick
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2020, 08:43 AM
better is enemy of good enough
Thread OP

F-35 Lightning II

Here's a great aircraft that's so new that we've sort of forgotten about it in the modeling world.
Tough to model in Phoenix without reference plans, but that just adds to the fun.
As you'll see in Kathi's demo flight, it likes to fly low and fast!
But try it slow and you'll find surprising 3D capability.
Thanks Kathi!

Tour:
F 35 Tour (0 min 23 sec)

Flight:
F 35 Kathi first flight (3 min 32 sec)

Unzip and install the pkg file and you'll find "F-35 Lightning II" in the scale list.
Install like this.

Cheers, rick
Nov 29, 2020, 10:41 AM
Excellent testing of the new F-35, I noticed that you flew on the "MFG Klagenfurt" runway. In my opinion it is the best I have found on Phoenix, I think you liked it, you made some good passes with the jet.
Nov 29, 2020, 01:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by macchi202
Excellent testing of the new F-35, I noticed that you flew on the "MFG Klagenfurt" runway. In my opinion it is the best I have found on Phoenix, I think you liked it, you made some good passes with the jet.
Nice site isn't it?

And to be clear, that's not me flying - that's Kathi - She's a much better pilot than I am.
Nov 29, 2020, 08:56 PM
Newbie with a Gee Bee
Hi Gentlemen,
I thought it's about time again just to quickly log in and say a big, fat thank you for all the latest models.
My virtual hangar is by now bigger than the Petrincic brothers' real hangar...LOL
Great work, guys, and thanks again!
Oh, and congratulations for crossing the 2000 day mark a while ago!

Fistbump for everybody!
Nov 30, 2020, 04:16 PM
Foam Rules, Gravity Sucks
One of the problems with adding models is that over the years you lose track of origin. Same with sites.

There was a very good UK site a few years ago with some very nice models, but the owner and builder took it down for personal reasons I'll not go into.

Still might be stuff around, for example, there was already a good Stuka out there, but all I know now of its origin is the name inside Phoenix of it and others from that source all start with "Piewacket".

In the collection I have from that builder are Great Lakes Bi-Plane, Stuka, P-21 Pilatus, Comanche, and Eurofighter Typhoon. May have been more of course.

DON't ask me for them, they are not mine to hand out, but they were (and might be still) out there somewhere.

They are green in the list they show within Phoenix so stated as user made.

Incidentally, many of the models I attained from two years plus back have the model with several schemes in one package, saving HDD space.

Current tally here is 300 plus models and around 100 sites. I did have a spell of making scenery myself, also converting from other freeware sims for my own purposes only. A lot of those are slope sites, done before HH's programmers irritrievably broke wind effects, so not much use now, they look OK, they fly terribly, as now do all gliders, as HH's programmers seem to have invented perpetual motion and a total inability to configure realistic rising slope wind! They might be fun to "fly", but as any form of realistic simulation they are totally flawed. Shame!
Nov 30, 2020, 04:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgoon
Hi Gentlemen,
I thought it's about time again just to quickly log in and say a big, fat thank you for all the latest models.
My virtual hangar is by now bigger than the Petrincic brothers' real hangar...LOL
Great work, guys, and thanks again!
Oh, and congratulations for crossing the 2000 day mark a while ago!

Fistbump for everybody!
Welcome back, and thanks for the fistbump!
Nov 30, 2020, 04:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravedan
One of the problems with adding models is that over the years you lose track of origin. Same with sites.

There was a very good UK site a few years ago with some very nice models, but the owner and builder took it down for personal reasons I'll not go into.

Still might be stuff around, for example, there was already a good Stuka out there, but all I know now of its origin is the name inside Phoenix of it and others from that source all start with "Piewacket".

In the collection I have from that builder are Great Lakes Bi-Plane, Stuka, P-21 Pilatus, Comanche, and Eurofighter Typhoon. May have been more of course.

DON't ask me for them, they are not mine to hand out, but they were (and might be still) out there somewhere.

They are green in the list they show within Phoenix so stated as user made.

Incidentally, many of the models I attained from two years plus back have the model with several schemes in one package, saving HDD space.

Current tally here is 300 plus models and around 100 sites. I did have a spell of making scenery myself, also converting from other freeware sims for my own purposes only. A lot of those are slope sites, done before HH's programmers irritrievably broke wind effects, so not much use now, they look OK, they fly terribly, as now do all gliders, as HH's programmers seem to have invented perpetual motion and a total inability to configure realistic rising slope wind! They might be fun to "fly", but as any form of realistic simulation they are totally flawed. Shame!
Hmmm, nothing comes up when I Google that - anyone else have better luck?

Now that you've teased us, perhaps a hint as to where to find them?? Thanks, rick
Dec 01, 2020, 09:10 AM
Thread OP

JRM Mars

And here's that "big seaplane" brought to our attention by Katana - the JRM Mars water bomber in all her glory.
Originally created for the US Navy during WW-II, the remaining two eventually were used as water bombers.
Now retired in real life, but re-created here in Phoenix for our amusement and enjoyment.
FYI, the Phoenix "water" is activated by the smoke channel.

A fun model - thanks for the suggestion Katana!

Tour:
JRM Mars Tour (0 min 24 sec)

Flight:
JRM Mars Flight (1 min 4 sec)

Unzip and install the pkg file install following these instructions and you'll find "JRM Mars" in the amphibious list.
Dec 01, 2020, 12:42 PM
Foam Rules, Gravity Sucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Hmmm, nothing comes up when I Google that - anyone else have better luck?

Now that you've teased us, perhaps a hint as to where to find them?? Thanks, rick
Wish I could, but cannot, strange how things melt away if not put into a decent repository!
Dec 02, 2020, 07:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravedan
Wish I could, but cannot, strange how things melt away if not put into a decent repository!
Completely understand, sir! No worries, rick
Dec 03, 2020, 05:28 AM

Where to start testing?

Lots of new toys!

Thank You, Rick!…

Kathi says “Thanks” for the compliment!
She is 100% sure her flying is not better than yours! She only hides all of her mistakes better by flying fast!
She is willing to take the title of being the better trickster. How is that?

At the moment we have a handicap when it comes to using Phoenix!..
No test-flights of new models, no screencaps!
Since Herman got his gift, we get no chance to use the living room pc and its big screen!
We are only allowed to sit beside him and watch how much fun he has flying the “Champion”!
Everything else, is a no-go!...

Btw. I love the JRM Mars and the Cessna Citation is way more fun than I ever thought possible!
Even on the small 27’’ screen in my office!

Thanks again for all the fun.
Dec 03, 2020, 08:47 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana 45
Lots of new toys!

Thank You, Rick!…

Kathi says “Thanks” for the compliment!
She is 100% sure her flying is not better than yours! She only hides all of her mistakes better by flying fast!
She is willing to take the title of being the better trickster. How is that?

At the moment we have a handicap when it comes to using Phoenix!..
No test-flights of new models, no screencaps!
Since Herman got his gift, we get no chance to use the living room pc and its big screen!
We are only allowed to sit beside him and watch how much fun he has flying the “Champion”!
Everything else, is a no-go!...

Btw. I love the JRM Mars and the Cessna Citation is way more fun than I ever thought possible!
Even on the small 27’’ screen in my office!

Thanks again for all the fun.
Kathi - nothing like young reflexes and perfect vision!

Herman - looks like we created a "monster" when we turned him loose on the Champion.

Katana - glad you like the Mars and Citation, but you're spoiled - I fly on a 15" laptop screen.

Carry on, rick
Dec 04, 2020, 10:15 AM
Thread OP

Grumman XF5F

Here's one I bet you've never seen - the prototype XF5F.
I ran across it in "Model Aviation", I think, and became intrigued the more I read about it.
Though never produced, it led to the the XP50 (next post), which as you'll see eventually led to a well known fighter.
Note that it has flaps and retracts, though as in the full scale aircraft the wheels don't fully retract into the nacelles.

Tour:
F5F Tour 2 (0 min 27 sec)

Flight:
XF5F Flight (1 min 27 sec)

Unzip and install the pkg file following these instructions and you'll find "Grumman XF5F" in the scale list.

Enjoy, rick
Dec 04, 2020, 10:28 AM
Thread OP

Grumman XP50

Derived from the XF5F, the XP50 has some subtle as well as some not to subtle differences.
Notably, rather than being a tail dragger it has tricycle gear - that much is obvious.
Less obvious are the longer nacelles and forward retracting main gear.

Plus the nose that looks like, yes, the F7F. Which was derived from the XP50.
Take the XP50 for a spin, and also check out our Phoenix F7F model.
Note: the last three pictures show the XF7F -> XP50 -> F7F evolution.

Tour:
XP50 Tour 2 (0 min 28 sec)

Flight:
XP50 Flight (1 min 31 sec)

Unzip and install the pkg file following these instructions and you'll find "Grumman XP50" in the scale list.

Have fun! rick
Last edited by rickp; Dec 04, 2020 at 10:47 AM. Reason: update F7F picture

Quick Reply