Sep 17, 2020, 08:02 AM
better is enemy of good enough
Thread OP

Savage Bobber Low & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Who's gonna throw down the gauntlet with the first video?

Come on guys and ladies, let's have some new blood.
I'm confident that both Mone and Kathi can fly better than Katana.
Guess it's me!

Surprisingly, the Savage Bobber was much harder for me to fly slowly than the He-112.
Slow - yes. Stable - not so much. Someone should be able to easily best this.

Savage Bobber Low & Slow (0 min 46 sec)
Last edited by rickp; Sep 17, 2020 at 12:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 17, 2020, 09:02 AM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
saved by the sand bar! that is a good flight rick and gauging from the flights i have had with the bobber, your flight is a real contender. i would say i saw 17.6mph during actual flight. this round is going to be tricky, a real pilots round. hint, not everyone has already posted their videos all at once. the he-112 was a warm up because the worst that would happen was you would scrape the belly. The bobber is a whole different story.

i got side tracked from competition last night with the widgeon and i think my edit takes care of some handling issues. i couldn't tell if i got it tracking 100% straight but i felt the slow speed handling has changed dramatically. and im sure you guys know how to perfect it. anyways im uploading this kinda file for the first time so let me know if i did it the right way.

Katana the setup is the first thing i almost always change. i didnt know it gave it more power but it does gives it a little more control authority.
Last edited by G.wayne; Sep 17, 2020 at 09:09 AM.
Sep 17, 2020, 09:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.wayne
saved by the sand bar! that is a good flight rick and gauging from the flights i have had with the bobber, your flight is a real contender. i would say i saw 17.6mph during actual flight. this round is going to be tricky, a real pilots round. hint, not everyone has already posted their videos all at once. the he-112 was a warm up because the worst that would happen was you would scrape the belly. The bobber is a whole different story.

i got side tracked from competition last night with the widgeon and i think my edit takes care of some handling issues. i couldn't tell if i got it tracking 100% straight but i felt the slow speed handling has changed dramatically. and im sure you guys know how to perfect it. anyways im uploading this kinda file for the first time so let me know if i did it the right way.

Katana the setup is the first thing i almost always change. i didnt know it gave it more power but it does gives it a little more control authority.
Var file loaded fine and flew well - thanks for creating it!
Flew both the original and yours back-to-back several times, and there are differences, but I couldn't decide which I liked more.

Curious - can you summarize your changes for us? Thanks, rick
Sep 17, 2020, 09:58 AM

I hope I’ll have some videos for you tomorrow morning!

What happened? (I was only gone for 9hrs.)

When I came home, the only one acting “normal” was Fritz (our Dog)!
Herman was a bit like Fritz, he was barking at the computer, the Bobber, at the screen and the TX in his hands.

Our Tomboy looked at me, poked her index finger into my chest: “Dad, think of something with this model. Herman drives us nuts. He sat all afternoon in front of the screen! He is training, he says!”
The noise she than made, is impossible to translate!

And than my lovely “Better Half”: “Have you seen, Rick want’s me to fly the model, the last one, what was the name again?”
(Not done yet!)
Lets make a video of me flying the model, you all are soo…. crazy about! But I have two requests:
1. “Please, make the model less nervous?”
In German this question sounded way cuter! (Machst Du mir bitte das Modell weniger zappelig?)
2. “Tell everyone I’ll stay out of competition. It will be just a “Noon Demo” or something like that!
I know how fragile all men’s egos are!” (broadly grinning!)
“How about a fresh coffee and a slice of cake?”

Wow! This will get a very interesting evening!
Wish me luck?!?
Sep 17, 2020, 10:13 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana 45
What happened? (I was only gone for 9hrs.)

When I came home, the only one acting “normal” was Fritz (our Dog)!
Herman was a bit like Fritz, he was barking at the computer, the Bobber, at the screen and the TX in his hands.

Our Tomboy looked at me, poked her index finger into my chest: “Dad, think of something with this model. Herman drives us nuts. He sat all afternoon in front of the screen! He is training, he says!”
The noise she than made, is impossible to translate!

And than my lovely “Better Half”: “Have you seen, Rick want’s me to fly the model, the last one, what was the name again?”
(Not done yet!)
Lets make a video of me flying the model, you all are soo…. crazy about! But I have two requests:
1. “Please, make the model less nervous?”
In German this question sounded way cuter! (Machst Du mir bitte das Modell weniger zappelig?)
2. “Tell everyone I’ll stay out of competition. It will be just a “Noon Demo” or something like that!
I know how fragile all men’s egos are!” (broadly grinning!)
“How about a fresh coffee and a slice of cake?”

Wow! This will get a very interesting evening!
Wish me luck?!?
Oh yes, you're certainly going to need it!
Sep 17, 2020, 10:51 AM

Good news & good news!

Good news!
Jan just called. He has agreed to be our “impartial referee”!

Second good news!
Kathi made a He-112 video this morning!
She says between lectures and beauty tips.
She is uploading it right now.
Link: https://vimeo.com/459019058

Have fun!
Sep 17, 2020, 12:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Good news!
Jan just called. He has agreed to be our “impartial referee”!

Second good news!
Kathi made a He-112 video this morning!
She says between lectures and beauty tips.
She is uploading it right now.
Link:

Have fun!
Wait! What? Why does her He-112 appear to be so much faster than mine?

Regardless, I give - she wins!

What site, by the way, is that? Thanks, rick

ps: good news about Jan - thanks for recruiting him
Last edited by rickp; Sep 17, 2020 at 01:06 PM.
Sep 17, 2020, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Wait! What? Why does her He-112 appear to be so much faster than mine?

Regardless, I give - she wins!

What site, by the way, is that? Thanks, rick

ps: good news about Jan - thanks for recruiting him
My guess, original prop size plus one inch. Pitch to half of the prop size. Reduce all throws and a bit of tuning.
Oh, she says: Nearly double the weight of the model and some extra rpm also turn out to be useful!
She is just leaving, but will send the var file tomorrow.

Nearly forgot your question about the site!
The site is called "Wash" should be in Naga's Dropbox. In our cloud it is stored under "Flying Sites".

Now Herman hollers: “My Bobber video is ready!”
(Never a dull moment around here.)
Sep 17, 2020, 04:16 PM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
I was made at Kathi! untill i saw the video. i have been practicing with the bobber on that site for my next video, it is a real STOL site. once the video started playing any feelings i had, washed away. i can tell i already like Kathi.

Rick have you have to fly the widgeon slow to get the whole effect. There isn't a huge difference fly full throttle but i do think my version is a little smoother at full deflections and doesn't have the tendency to tip stall wildly, maybe a little more predictable.

i changed the CG, the downward thrust i added a negative number to make it upward thrust. and some elevator trim.
Last edited by G.wayne; Sep 17, 2020 at 07:36 PM.
Sep 17, 2020, 11:08 PM

New Videos

Hi guys,

The first from Herman: He is not really pleased with himself! After at least 3 hours of CG changing and test flights.
Here his result:
Low & Slow Challenge Herman (1 min 58 sec)

Followed by Mone’s Demo Flight! Model is absolut stock, just scaled up to 200% in size!

Low & Slow Demo Mone (3 min 4 sec)

Have fun!
Last edited by Katana 45; Sep 18, 2020 at 02:42 AM.
Sep 17, 2020, 11:21 PM

Could this be a winner?

Your Throttle Management sucks! The Old Man said!

How about we look at my stick management in general?
Did a short dry run, followed by this:

Low & Slow Challenge Bobber armin (2 min 53 sec)

Have fun watching!
Sep 18, 2020, 08:38 AM
Thread OP

Great Videos!

Herman scores points as he had lots of time in the 17+ mph range.

Mone scores points with the 200% Bobber - very cool.

Katana scores points with clever site selection, but will probably be disqualified by Jan!

Cheers, rick
Last edited by rickp; Sep 18, 2020 at 09:14 AM.
Sep 18, 2020, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Herman scores points as he had lots of time in the 17+ mph range.

Mone scores points with the 200% Bobber - very cool.

Katana scores points with clever site selection, but will probably be disqualified by Jan!

Cheers, rick
I flew at least half a Bobber lengths backwards! That has to count for something?

Get Jan involved?
He loves his glider's! And I might know his weakness. He loves a glas of wine or 2, 3, 4, even more!
Let's see what he has to say?
Should I ask before or after the wine?
Sep 18, 2020, 09:44 AM

Heinkel He-112 Reno Racer

Kathi reminded me seconds ago, she promised to send her He-112 var file.

Heinkel He-112 Reno Racer variant, for all Speed Freaks!

Have fun testing!
Sep 18, 2020, 09:47 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I flew at least half a Bobber lengths backwards! That has to count for something?

Get Jan involved?
He loves his glider's! And I might know his weakness. He loves a glas of wine or 2, 3, 4, even more!
Let's see what he has to say?
Should I ask before or after the wine?
Absolutely counts for something - negative points!

Clearly after the wine, as I'm sure he'll appreciate your creativeness much more then.

Quick Reply