Sep 16, 2020, 08:20 AM
better is enemy of good enough
Thread OP

HobbyZone AeroScout Mini

Interesting new trainer from HobbyZone that looks like it's positioned to replace their venerable Champ.

Seems to fly nicely and looks robust judging from the intentional crashes in their videos.
Disappointing, though, that it is not Spektrum compatible so one has to use their minimal transmitter.
Still, at $99.99 US, it's an attractive introductory package for the RC newbie.

Tour:
AeroScout Mini Tour (0 min 29 sec)

Flight:
AeroScout Mini Flight (0 min 41 sec)

Unzip and install the pkg fine and you'll find "AeroScout Mini" in the trainer list.
Installation instructions are here.

Cheers, rick
to remove ads between posts
Sep 16, 2020, 09:34 AM
Just came home and asked Kathi if she wanted to be our referee?
Our Tomboy says: „I’ll stay out of it! My car needs gas and coming winter a new set of tires.
So, Thank’s, but No Thank’s! Biased right from the start!“
Junior is not here during the week, and the “Lady's” have to keep everything running, they say.

Talked yesterday to Jan (my friend you created the Skorpion glider for),
he is bored out of his mind, has not worked a single day since April!
Desperately searching for a way to waste his time!
He should be impartial!?!
Will call him later and ask!

But here it comes!
Herman watched every L&S video three times and than said: “Rick wins, because he was cleverer.”
Both climbs he did, had points with less than 10 mph! He just did a “normal” flight within the rules we set and got us with it.
As pilot he should know how to fly slow!”

Regarding Wayne and him he means that should be a tie.
Between 16 and 18 mph for both of them!
Quote: “Let someone else take a stop watch and make a list! It is more fun to fly than to judge!”
Sep 16, 2020, 10:05 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana 45
Just came home and asked Kathi if she wanted to be our referee?
Our Tomboy says: „I’ll stay out of it! My car needs gas and coming winter a new set of tires.
So, Thank’s, but No Thank’s! Biased right from the start!“
Junior is not here during the week, and the “Lady's” have to keep everything running, they say.

Talked yesterday to Jan (my friend you created the Skorpion glider for),
he is bored out of his mind, has not worked a single day since April!
Desperately searching for a way to waste his time!
He should be impartial!?!
Will call him later and ask!

But here it comes!
Herman watched every L&S video three times and than said: “Rick wins, because he was cleverer.”
Both climbs he did, had points with less than 10 mph! He just did a “normal” flight within the rules we set and got us with it.
As pilot he should know how to fly slow!”

Regarding Wayne and him he means that should be a tie.
Between 16 and 18 mph for both of them!
Quote: “Let someone else take a stop watch and make a list! It is more fun to fly than to judge!”
I don't think so - Herman is the master and I don't think I was going that slow.
Particularly as I was trained to fly very low and very fast, rather than slow.
This was over German soil, so perhaps you heard me blasting past?

Plus we haven't seen your or Naga's entries.
And surely there are others that want to play. Surely!

Clearly we need someone like Jan as an impartial judge. Temp him with another custom model if you must.
Sep 16, 2020, 11:20 AM

My try at Low & Slow with the He-112!

The Old Man knows how to keep me grounded!
His comment about my flight: „OK. Good even at some points!
But your throttle managemet sucks!“

What do you think?
Low & Slow Challenge: My turn! (2 min 7 sec)

I fly gliders, I need no stupid throttle!

Regarding your slowest speeds. He will make Kathi take screenshots to prove it if you want!
Sep 16, 2020, 01:04 PM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
Rick you definitely had the slowest numbers, wasn't the lowest definitely, but the slowest! of the first round of the videos. I will tip my hat to you.

Its sooo hard to be able to tell who is slower this round between Herman and i that i would accept a draw, for this round! Next round there will be no question who is the slowest.

I was thinking how funny it is that its a race to be the slowest and lowest usually everything is faster and higher.

If that one sentence of praise of the HE-112 is what started all this, i will assume full responsibility for coming up with the best idea ever! And also for you not getting any sleep. Who needs it when you can fly sim low and slow!
Sep 16, 2020, 01:10 PM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
Has any one changed the "setup" from 50% in the physical tab in the edit screen? Is that allowed? I would be okay next round we happen to allow people to go to 100%. If they already haven't.
Sep 16, 2020, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
The Old Man knows how to keep me grounded!
His comment about my flight: „OK. Good even at some points!
But your throttle managemet sucks!“

What do you think?

I fly gliders, I need no stupid throttle!

Regarding your slowest speeds. He will make Kathi take screenshots to prove it if you want!
Nice flight - even remembered to lower the gear before (well, almost before) you landed.
Does that mean that you don't need no stupid gear handle either??

Screenshots not necessary, but thanks for the offer.

Still waiting for Naga - just pretend that it's a chopper any you'll do fine!
Sep 16, 2020, 01:12 PM
Thread OP

Now for the Savage Bobber part of this

Who's gonna throw down the gauntlet with the first video?

Come on guys and ladies, let's have some new blood.
I'm confident that both Mone and Kathi can fly better than Katana.
Sep 16, 2020, 05:06 PM
Katana, couple of quick questions. Slowing the plane down by dragging the belly across the turf, is that allowed?

Second question is regarding the field location. Is that part of Phoenix or a separate download. Looks just like our field after a rain storm. We have a small lake right in the center of our runway every time. We've had guys bring out float planes for just those occasions.
Sep 17, 2020, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.wayne
Has any one changed the "setup" from 50% in the physical tab in the edit screen? Is that allowed? I would be okay next round we happen to allow people to go to 100%. If they already haven't.
Hi Wayne,

This Setup option is an easy way to make a plane more performant. It adds power and changes the throws on all three axis of a plane. So, we can't use it!
Even it it wasn't for the competition, I almost never use it.
When a plane needs to get more powerful or "bites not hard enough" I change motor rpm, prop pitch or prop size.
Sep 17, 2020, 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Nice flight - even remembered to lower the gear before (well, almost before) you landed.
Does that mean that you don't need no stupid gear handle either??

Screenshots not necessary, but thanks for the offer.

Still waiting for Naga - just pretend that it's a chopper any you'll do fine!
Rick: "Don't poke the bear!"
When it comes to Naga's turn to choose a model we all have to fly Low & Slow.
He will take his favored chopper and make us all look like dilettants!

Mark my words!
Sep 17, 2020, 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer712
Katana, couple of quick questions. Slowing the plane down by dragging the belly across the turf, is that allowed?

Second question is regarding the field location. Is that part of Phoenix or a separate download. Looks just like our field after a rain storm. We have a small lake right in the center of our runway every time. We've had guys bring out float planes for just those occasions.
Homer, you are lucky, I am a morning person!
Grumpy me would ignore your questions.

The field I dragged the He-112's belly over is not part of Phoenix! You have to download it. It shoud be in Naga's dropbox.
There you can also find a word doc with descriptions to most sites.
Link: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-for-PhoenixRC
The flying site is called "Wiesensenke" or "Wiesensenke V.2"

But be aware the site has some nasty surprises! (See below!)

Have fun!
Sep 17, 2020, 05:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Rick: "Don't poke the bear!"
When it comes to Naga's turn to choose a model we all have to fly Low & Slow.
He will take his favored chopper and make us all look like dilettants!

Mark my words!
Uh-oh! Too late.
Sep 17, 2020, 06:36 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Flying sites are cool. I just don't have time right now but would love to do our field. It is a full-size 2200 foot runway with our flying shed halfway along. South end has a ton of area over a field that is farmed, opposite side of the runway has a stand of 50 foot trees all the way along, with trees north end opposite side. Makes for some interesting turns to base and final on the north end, I'm almost always high!
Sep 17, 2020, 06:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1
Flying sites are cool. I just don't have time right now but would love to do our field. It is a full-size 2200 foot runway with our flying shed halfway along. South end has a ton of area over a field that is farmed, opposite side of the runway has a stand of 50 foot trees all the way along, with trees north end opposite side. Makes for some interesting turns to base and final on the north end, I'm almost always high!
If you could take a spherical picture I bet we could convince someone on RCG to make it into a site.

Cheers, rick

Quick Reply