Aug 28, 2020, 08:03 PM
For anyone that may be interested in a ready made "wireless" dongle, I found this one at Banggood.

https://usa.banggood.com/22-In-1-2_4...r_warehouse=CN
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2020, 12:07 AM
My name is Naga
Good find.

They were on Amazon but were discontinued there.

They are also twice the price so if you can solder and have some servo leads you can do it yourself and save a few bucks.
Aug 29, 2020, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.wayne
Top of das mornin',

Thank you for helping me, here are two pictures. One is of the spruce goose file were i placed it. The other one is whats in the file. I don't know how to take
screenshots , so i just took pictures. If the pictures are no good, i will take more!
Hi Wayne,

Sorry!
I forgot to add a short info regarding screenshots!
Just hit the “Windows” key in combination with the “Print” key! That’s all it takes!
You can find the screenshot under pictures, in your “New” Screenshot folder!

Cheers Katana
Aug 29, 2020, 05:08 PM
Have a question for anyone successfully using a wireless dongle with Phoenix. There was a response to a question of mine regarding the wiring and a picture was posted. On the Banggood web site there is also a wireless dongle available. The wiring seems identical to the picture posted and that's the way I wired mine, yet it won't function. The wildcard here may be that I'm trying to do wireless with my Futaba 8FG Super. Functions perfectly wired, but not wireless.

Is there anyone here who also is using the Futaba 8FG Super and has gotten wireless to work?
Aug 29, 2020, 05:22 PM
My name is Naga
The second picture which I assume is of your dongle looks different to the one you posted earlier. Also, the resolution is so low I cannot see where you soldered the wires, but I assume you soldered them to the pins as I show.

Is there a light on your Rx that shows power is getting to it?

Also are you sure it has a PPM output and you are connecting to the correct set of pins and the servo lead is plugged in the correct way round?

Positive voltage almost always goes to the centre pin so plugging the lead in upside down will not feed power to the wrong parts and burn anything out.

Check that and if it is the case try plugging in the servo lead the other way around as it will not harm anything if positive is on the central pin.

Also, are you using a true receiver or is it a satellite?

With Spektrum I tried a satellite Rx and it didn't work. When I checked with an oscilloscope I found the signal is inverted and Phoenix will not recognise it.

Could you please give me a link to the exact Rx you are using so I can look into the matter further?

Happy to try and help you out to get this working for you. You will love it once you go wireless!
Aug 29, 2020, 05:55 PM
Ah, "checked with an oscilloscope" . . . been a long, long time since I had someone refer to an oscilloscope. Double E here by education and work experience, although I spent most of my time in Power Engineering. Power plants, water treatment plants and nuclear power. I'll look into your suggestions/questions tomorrow morning and post back. Thanks for your help.
Aug 29, 2020, 06:14 PM
My name is Naga
I built an oscilloscope as a 15 year old kid for a school Physics project as part of my so called "qualification". I got the plans out of Practical Electronics magazine.

It had an old obsolete cathode ray tube and a single valve which gave a none linear timebase. Most of the components were salvaged from broken TVs and the case I made from bent aluminium sheeting in a metalwork shop in the village, the guys there were most bemused.

Of course it was pretty useless with the wonky timebase but it worked. I darned near electrocuted myself by feeding the high voltage into a fancy microphone as I wanted to see the waveform distort with my voice. When I picked the mic up that high voltage shot straight up my arm at 50Hz. Thdeeeeeeee! Taught me a lesson that did!

The first time I switched it on it literally blew up. The main cap on the HV transformer wasn't up to the job and heated up until it blew. The inverted "U" shaped base was standing on a bunch of newspapers and the explosion shredded them and blew a cloud of paper scraps out the back which filled the kitchen like confetti, my mother was not amused but my father was.

These days I use one of the titchy LCD colour screen pocket jobbies for about £50 off BangGood. Amazing how tech has advanced!
Aug 29, 2020, 08:17 PM
"Amazing how tech has advanced!" . . . sometimes for the good, but sadly, many times not. My grandson asked me a while back, "what did you do before Faceb00k (really, you can mention that "Book" thing?) and Instagram." I told him we talked to each other and sent pictures taken with a Polaroid. He asked, "What's a Polaroid?"

Anyway, the receiver is a Futaba R617FS and the transmitter is a FASST 2.4 GHz unit. And the second picture you refer to was actually copied from the Banggood web page where I found the wireless dongle. I'm holding off ordering one as I figure if I can't get it to work I don't think they can either. At least with my TX and RX.
Aug 29, 2020, 08:41 PM
My name is Naga
Tech is like any tool, it can be used for good and evil, constructively or destructively.

It all comes down to who is doing what with it.

For me, FACEB00K is evil and Zuckerberg a total creep but some people can't do without it.

Now, I looked at the instruction manual and I don't see anywhere that confirms a PPM output.

You must use an Rx with PPM or it will not work.

Here is a nice explanation of the different protocols.
Last edited by nagas; Aug 29, 2020 at 08:47 PM.
Aug 30, 2020, 12:56 AM

Only older Futaba RX do PPM

Good Morning Guys!

May I offer a little help?
Futaba's new RX's don't support PPM!....
There are only four Futaba models which support PPM:
R6007SP
R6107SP
R6008SP
SFHSS 8CH 2.4Ghz RC Micro

Best option would be the SFHSS 8CH 2.4Ghz RC Micro or R6008SP with their 8 channels.
Look at e-Bay to get one for cheap!

Cheers Katana
Last edited by Katana 45; Aug 30, 2020 at 03:01 AM.
Aug 30, 2020, 03:25 AM
My name is Naga
Thanks for that Katana -

Problem definitively identified and solution proposed.
Aug 30, 2020, 07:05 AM
So, it's the good news, bad news thing. Good news is that the issue has been identified, thanks Katana . . . bad news is that none of those receivers are compatible with my 8FG transmitter
Aug 30, 2020, 07:11 AM
better is enemy of good enough
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana 45
Hi Wayne,

Sorry!
I forgot to add a short info regarding screenshots!
Just hit the “Windows” key in combination with the “Print” key! That’s all it takes!
You can find the screenshot under pictures, in your “New” Screenshot folder!

Cheers Katana
That's a good tip, and proof that even old dogs like me can learn new tricks.

I'd been taking screenshots using "shift" "print", and then pasting them with "ctrl" "v".
But I like your way better as it saves the screenshots as png files for later use.

Thanks Katana! rick
Aug 30, 2020, 07:17 AM
My name is Naga
It doesn't look like you can go wireless with your Tx.

But you can still plug it into the dongle and fly so there is an upside.

I have this love/hate attitude to Horizon Hobby but one of the good things is the compatibility of the Spektrum DSM2/DSMX stuff. With it being mainstream there are cheap OrangeRx and even better Lemon receivers and satellites that can be used.

There are also plenty of used items on eBay, stuff coming up all the time. I bought two genuine Spektrum satellites just yesterday, unused and still in their original packs but just missed a T1000 telemetry and GPS set, the bidding on that went fierce at the very last moment and went for more than I was prepared to pay but that stuff is quite rare.

Used DX6i Tx come up frequently but often the much better DX8 goe cheaper as they are not so popular, go figure.
Aug 30, 2020, 08:30 AM

Never give up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer712
So, it's the good news, bad news thing. Good news is that the issue has been identified, thanks Katana . . . bad news is that none of those receivers are compatible with my 8FG transmitter
Ask anything about Jeti, FrSky or the mc series from Multiplex and most likely I have an answer. But Futaba is not something we have, to play around with!
Here direct beside me is an older Gentleman sitting! He says: "Geht nicht, gibt es nicht!..." & "Für alles findet sich eine Lösung!"
I respect the man in question a lot, so a "startpage" search it shall be!

Homer, I hope I got this right? You have the Futaba 8FG. Right?

My search result says: The "OrangeRx GA800HV Futaba FASST" is the way to go!
This rx is compatible with the 8FG and as far as the manual shows also handles PPM.
Down side, it cost around 33$! A lot more than the 8€ a Futaba R6008SP would have cost on German e-Bay!
Here a link: https://hobbyking.com/de_de/orangerx...de_de_products

Here a second option: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/signal-c...en_us_products
This way you could keep the rx you already have!

Hope this helps!
Last edited by Katana 45; Aug 30, 2020 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply