Jun 28, 2020, 09:55 AM
wow....awesome ...thats work nagas....your the best!!!!
Thanks a lot...
to remove ads between posts
Jun 28, 2020, 09:59 AM
My name is Naga
You are welcome.

Those instructions from Flying Elvis are a PITA!

They date back to 2010 and he hasn't been on RCGroups since 2012 so no way to get his post changed.

Loads more engine sounds available on the Dropbox link I posted.

Enjoy!
Jun 28, 2020, 01:07 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagas
Put the files in these two locations. The information above is incorrect.

.pxe file to C:\Program Files\PhoenixRC\resources\engines\airplane

wav files to C:\Program Files\PhoenixRC\resources\soundEffects\planes
And now the Saito F90 R3 magically appears!
Sounds great, even to my poor ears. That would have been a good one for the Phoenix.

Thanks Naga, I was confident that you would sort it.

Regards, rick
Jun 28, 2020, 04:26 PM
My name is Naga
Your confidence in me is heart warming.

Good job I was able to live up to your expectations!
Jun 29, 2020, 04:59 AM

Model Building for Phoenix RC Simulator

Good Day,
Thank you to all for the awesome models and flying sites available due to your hard work and dedication.
I use the Phoenix RC Simulator, updated to 6.1 without any problems.
I have tried/attempted to build models and flying sites, without any success and after many extremely frustrating hours, have given up on the idea.
Would it be possible for anyone to assist and build models for me/us?
Some of my models are EPP foam gliders, used for slope soaring with the exception of the Schleicher Ka6e used on the field as well.
I also have 2 de Havilland Mosquito's and an English Electric Canberra, white foam, fiberglass and balsa.
The models:
1. Schleicher Ka6e
Wingspan: 117 inches - 297.18cm(3m)
Length: 54 inches - 137.16cm(1,37m)
Weight: 85oz(2,41kg) to 90oz (2,5kg)
2. P-40 Warhawk
Wingspan: 60 inches - 1,53m
Weight: 57oz - 1,6kg
3. P-63 Kingcobra
Wingspan: 60 inches - 1,53m
Weight: 58oz - 58oz= 1,64kg
4. de Havilland Mosquito
Wingspan: 72.75in. 184.7cm
Length: 50.75 1,29m
Weight: 11.02lb (177oz) 5kg
5. de Havilland Mosquito ( Black Night Fighter)
Wingspan: 56 142cm (1.42m)
Fuselage Length: 38 96cm
Weight: 4.13lb (77oz) 2.193kg (2193g)
6. English Electric Canberra
Wingspan: 49.5" 1,26m
Fuselage Length: 44.5" 1,13m
Weight: 3lbs 6oz 1,5kg
Photos and more info can be supplied.
Thank you and enjoy flying.
Jun 29, 2020, 07:54 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry de Kock
Good Day,
Thank you to all for the awesome models and flying sites available due to your hard work and dedication.
I use the Phoenix RC Simulator, updated to 6.1 without any problems.
I have tried/attempted to build models and flying sites, without any success and after many extremely frustrating hours, have given up on the idea.
Would it be possible for anyone to assist and build models for me/us?
Some of my models are EPP foam gliders, used for slope soaring with the exception of the Schleicher Ka6e used on the field as well.
I also have 2 de Havilland Mosquito's and an English Electric Canberra, white foam, fiberglass and balsa.
The models: . . . .
Welcome to our thread, Barry!

Totally understand "many extremely frustrating hours", and would be happy to help with your models.
The Schleicher I should be able to do fairly soon as gliders are relatively quick for me to build.
The Canberra is an interesting aircraft that I'd forgotten existed, so thanks for suggesting it.
And your P-40 and P-63 look like slope soarers, so they'll be a nice additions to our fleet.
We already have several Mossies in our index, and you can easily edit them in Phoenix to match your models' scale.
And if you're good with a 2D editor you can paint one black. Let me know if you need help with that.

Cheers, rick
Jun 29, 2020, 10:53 AM

Mossie and slope

Hello Rick,
Thank you for the feedback.
All my models are slope soaring aircraft.
I tried with the Mossies and are now completely bald as I pulled out the 3 hairs that I had left.
As for the painting the Mossie black I have tried and now have no teeth left the way I graunched them
If you need any information regarding my models, let me know.
Thank you again.
Regards.
Jun 29, 2020, 03:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry de Kock
Hello Rick,
Thank you for the feedback.
All my models are slope soaring aircraft.
I tried with the Mossies and are now completely bald as I pulled out the 3 hairs that I had left.
As for the painting the Mossie black I have tried and now have no teeth left the way I graunched them
If you need any information regarding my models, let me know.
Thank you again.
Regards.
Well we can't have you sacrificing any more hair, can we?
I'll PM you and we can figure out how to proceed.

Cheers, rick
Jun 29, 2020, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Now for something a bit different - a true Phoenix to fly in Phoenix.
You remember the movie "Flight of the Phoenix", right? Or perhaps the book?
The general idea is that a twin engine transport crashes in the desert, and a single engine Phoenix is constructed from the wreckage.
Everyone clamors onboard, and they fly away into the sunset to live happily ever after. Sort of.
The plot is much more complex than that, and varies depending on whether you're thinking of the 1964 novel, 1965 movie or 2004 movie.

As I only saw the 2004 movie, my Phoenix is constructed from the remains of a C-119 Flying Boxcar.
And in fact I didn't know that there was a novel or 1965 movie until I read about it on Wikipedia.

Regardless of your reference, the PhoenixRC model of "The Phoenix" is entertaining.
In the novel and movies, the skids were used purely as sand skids, but they sure looked like floats to me, so .....
If you're a purist, it's fun to fly at the InfinityScape "Desert at Sunset" site. Plenty of sand.
But little water there, so I demo'ed The Phoenix at the "Sandbar" site - best of both worlds.

Tour: https://youtu.be/IjBzYrpoHxE

Demo Flight: https://youtu.be/F2iDX1Glp4w

Unzip and install the pkg file and you'll find "Tallmantz Phoenix P-1" in the scale list.
Installation instructions are here.

Stay dry, rick
Rick,

Thanks so much for making the Tallmantz Phoenix P-1. It's very interesting!

I have the 1965 movie on DVD...loved it for years! Haven't seen the 2004 version...guess I'm a purist.

There's a neat conflict in the 1965 movie that I hope is in the book and the 2004 version. In the film, the plane you modeled...assembled from the C-119's wreckage...is designed by a model aircraft designer. Everyone else puts him down for making "toy airplanes". But he says, "A model airplane is designed just like a full scale airplane...except it has to be designed better in order to fly on its own with nobody inside." As you know, the plane did fly!

Here's a link with more info about the plane: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallmantz_Phoenix_P-1

Legendary pilot Paul Manz flew it for the film...and unfortunately, he was killed when it crashed while making the movie. The final credits of The Flight of the Phoenix bear a tribute to Paul Mantz: "It should be remembered ... that Paul Mantz, a fine man and a brilliant flyer, gave his life in the making of this film ..."

"I'm not a stunt pilot. I'm a precision pilot."
— Paul Mantz, 1934

Thirteen years later his business partner, Frank Tallman, also died in an aviation mishap.

I receive your Phoenix model as yet another tribute to these great aviation pioneers!

Tom
Last edited by shepflyr; Jun 29, 2020 at 07:37 PM.
Jun 29, 2020, 09:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr
Rick,

Thanks so much for making the Tallmantz Phoenix P-1. It's very interesting!

I have the 1965 movie on DVD...loved it for years! Haven't seen the 2004 version...guess I'm a purist.

There's a neat conflict in the 1965 movie that I hope is in the book and the 2004 version. In the film, the plane you modeled...assembled from the C-119's wreckage...is designed by a model aircraft designer. Everyone else puts him down for making "toy airplanes". But he says, "A model airplane is designed just like a full scale airplane...except it has to be designed better in order to fly on its own with nobody inside." As you know, the plane did fly!

Here's a link with more info about the plane: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallmantz_Phoenix_P-1

Legendary pilot Paul Manz flew it for the film...and unfortunately, he was killed when it crashed while making the movie. The final credits of The Flight of the Phoenix bear a tribute to Paul Mantz: "It should be remembered ... that Paul Mantz, a fine man and a brilliant flyer, gave his life in the making of this film ..."

"I'm not a stunt pilot. I'm a precision pilot."
— Paul Mantz, 1934

Thirteen years later his business partner, Frank Tallman, also died in an aviation mishap.

I receive your Phoenix model as yet another tribute to these great aviation pioneers!

Tom
Yes, that conflict is in the 2004 version and is one of the high points of the movie.
Thanks for pointing that out, as well as sharing your perspective on the 1965 movie, Paul Mantz and Frank Tallman.

Nice that you have a connection to the Phoenix P-1 and are enjoying the model.

Cheers! rick
Last edited by rickp; Jun 30, 2020 at 07:57 AM.
Jul 01, 2020, 02:51 AM

Tuning and flying

ASW 20
"Clearing out the queue to make room for some new challenges!
This one might benefit from a bit of tuning by a glider pilot.
Think the CG is about right, but something feels off.
Spoilers are mapped to the gear."

Hello Rick,
Great job on the ASW 20, I have put it through it's paces and cannot fault it, flies like a dream.
Regards,
Barry
Last edited by Barry de Kock; Jul 01, 2020 at 04:40 AM.
Jul 01, 2020, 02:54 AM
"And here ya go - the Volantex 2.54 m ASW28.

Unlike the full scale ASW28, the Volantex model has flaps rather than airbrakes.
Nevertheless, it's great fun at all of the Phoenix soaring sites.

UPDATED to v07 after Katana pointed out that v06 was unnaturally light.
Confirmed by the requester skale that my original weight of 1.05 kg was without the battery.
v07 has a more realistic weight of 1.4 kg. With apologies - I screwed up by believing the manufacturer's info.

Enjoy! rick"

Hey Rick,
Another great glider to enjoy in Phoenix, have done a couple of hours flying and it is magic.
Regards,
Jul 01, 2020, 02:58 AM
Discus 2C
"Same glider, but with a more traditional paint scheme.
Forgot to mention earlier that it has both flaps and air brakes.
Possibly the nicest Phoenix glider to date - so elegant in the air that you could fly it all day.
And of course, a big thank you to Katana and friends for the tuning help."

You guys did an awesome job again, have flown it on all the glider sites in Phoenix, time just disappears when you are having fun.
Thank you.
Last edited by Barry de Kock; Jul 01, 2020 at 04:42 AM.
Jul 01, 2020, 03:03 AM

Reiher

"Designed in the 1930's, the Reiher is a classic glider that flies like a dream.
And perhaps it's just me, but the gull wing design reminds me of a shore bird - perhaps a heron?
Oh wait - "Reiher" is German for heron - imagine that!

I of course learned that in Wikipedia, where you can read more about the Reiher.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DFS_Reiher
Tuned by Katana to fly just like his real Reiher, this one is a real joy - thanks Katana.
I typically fly a new Phoenix model for just a few minute and then move on the something else.
But the Reiher at Watergate Bay is so mesmerizing that I could fly it for hours.
Cheers, rick"[/I]

This machine is one, if not my favourite Phoenix model, fast, agile and a beautiful aircraft. Fly it at Gesero and your day will not have enough hours in it. Fly it at Bever Engadin, thermal it to a little speck in the sky and land it at your feet.
Another awesome build guys. THANK YOU.
Last edited by Barry de Kock; Jul 01, 2020 at 04:28 AM.
Jul 01, 2020, 03:07 AM

PSS Slope Soarer

"I've long been intrigued by slope soaring, particularly scale looking slope soarers.
Saw an interesting P-80 slope soarer in a magazine, so thought I'd take this opportunity to make one for Phoenix.
The Phoenix model uses the same fuselage and empennage as the powered Phoenix model, but is lighter with a larger wing.
Guessed at the wing dimensions, but it flies well at Countryside Hill and Watergate Bay so I guess it's close enough.
Thanks once again to Katana 45 for tuning help!
And at his suggestion, you might add 200 g ballast for the Watergate Bay site.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I do, rick"

This is as close to PSS Slope soaring as you can get, you were spot on with the wing and all else. I have flown it on all the slope sites without any ballast and it performs excellent.

Quick Reply