Dec 14, 2019, 11:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoR
Is there a chance that the Volantex Ranger 2k can be on the 'to do list'? I'm loving the model so far and would really like to take it for a spin when the weather is not good for real flying
Certainly!

And I feel your pain, as our weather has been pretty crappy lately.

Added to the queue, rick
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2019, 11:30 AM
Thread OP

CARF Mephisto V2

At first blush, the CARF Mephisto seems like just another nice looking jet.
Sleek, fast, maneuverable. But if you thought that's all that it was, then you'd be wrong.
Looking at the video below, it's fairly tame until about the 2:30 point. After that, it'll blow your mind.

AWESOME RC JET FLIGHT! CARF MODELS MEPHISTO! MARKUS RUMMER! DR. LOW | HORIZON AIRMEET 2018 (6 min 8 sec)

Quite an interesting model that was a challenge to model in Phoenix.
I think it's close, but I'll let you guys be the judge of how well it turned out.

360 Tour:
CARF Mephisto Tour (0 min 20 sec)

Demo Flight:
CARF Mephisto Demo Flight (2 min 11 sec)

A nice, tame jet when flown in low rates; but watch out in high rates as it's easy to stall.
And as you can tell from my demo flight, it's much harder to hover than the average 3D model.
But that just makes it more fun!

Unzip and install the pkg file and you'll find "CARF Mephisto V2" in the performance list.
Installation instructions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj2o7vx9b0...0File.pdf?dl=0

Have fun! rick
Dec 14, 2019, 02:30 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34

SUD Caravelle Specifications

Rick,

Here are the specs for the Caravelle:
- All up weight: 56 ounces
- Wing span: 67 inches
- Wing type: Clark Y
- Wing area: 574.5 sq in
- Wing cubic loading: 7 (trainer range)
- Powerplant: 2 ea. Dr. Mad Thrust 40 or 50 mm EDFs (1 kg estimated thrust on 4S, very conservative, possibly 1.2 kg)

Here is a three-view, courtesy of Dirty Dee:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&postcount=25

Nice pic here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...94&postcount=4

She should be a slow-flier, very scale like.

Put her in your build queue, we'll see her when we see her!
Dec 14, 2019, 10:29 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, ruff1.

That 3-view is priceless - it will help us get the Sud built more quickly.

Thanks, rick
Dec 15, 2019, 08:43 AM
Thanks Mr. Rick. I always thought the cruciform arrangement on the tail was really cool. Here is the Wikipedia writeup:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciform_tail

The Martin 4-0-4 build is nearing completion, I'm hoping I can start the Caravelle before too long.

One thing I need to do is get on the sim and work on my landings; I just don't do a good job of managing my airspeed and throttle. Question: Are there any models in Phoenix that push you hard to manage those items? Most I have tried really don't challenge you like the real thing. Perhaps I need to dial in some environmental conditions?

I am planning a long session at the field with a seasoned pilot to shoot touch and goes.
Dec 15, 2019, 12:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1
Thanks Mr. Rick. I always thought the cruciform arrangement on the tail was really cool. Here is the Wikipedia writeup:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cruciform_tail

The Martin 4-0-4 build is nearing completion, I'm hoping I can start the Caravelle before too long.

One thing I need to do is get on the sim and work on my landings; I just don't do a good job of managing my airspeed and throttle. Question: Are there any models in Phoenix that push you hard to manage those items? Most I have tried really don't challenge you like the real thing. Perhaps I need to dial in some environmental conditions?

I am planning a long session at the field with a seasoned pilot to shoot touch and goes.
Interesting read about the empennage configuration.

After trying a bunch of models, I settled on the PhoenixRC yellow Pitts Special.
It's sensitive enough to reward good technique as well as punish not-so-good technique.
And when you get tired of touch-and-goes you can be a barnstormer!

Here's a practice idea - do a touch-and-go without letting the tail wheel hit the ground.
And without bouncing. That should help fine tune your technique.

Cheers, rick

Cheers, rick
Last edited by rickp; Dec 15, 2019 at 12:58 PM.
Dec 15, 2019, 02:29 PM
Perfect, thank you sir!
Dec 17, 2019, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Certainly!

And I feel your pain, as our weather has been pretty crappy lately.

Added to the queue, rick
You sir, are awesome
Let me know if/when you need pics or specs of the plane like dimensions, weight or CG, altough there are plenty of top/side/front pics on google.
Dec 17, 2019, 01:05 PM
Thanks Rick for the Avanti, I have this model IRL so itīs great for me. One strange thing I noticed is that the nose wheel is moving in the wrong direction relative to the rudder.
Dec 17, 2019, 01:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pernstig
Thanks Rick for the Avanti, I have this model IRL so itīs great for me. One strange thing I noticed is that the nose wheel is moving in the wrong direction relative to the rudder.
Thanks for noticing that - I'll take a look and update it.

UPDATE - first, pernstig, you're one lucky guy to own a real Avanti! I'm envious.
After checking out the Phoenix version, I inadvertently had the rudder object moving the wrong way.
The virtual rudder moved correctly, however, so the model operated as it should both in the air and on the ground.

V2 fixes this, and for the terminally curious the two pictures below show the difference.
The original has the rudder "tip" and "root" at the wrong ends of the rudder. V2 is correct (tip at the top).
V2 has been uploaded to the original posting, which can be found at:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3371

Thanks once again! rick
Last edited by rickp; Dec 18, 2019 at 08:25 AM.
Dec 17, 2019, 02:05 PM
That's the "Jet Blue" version... LOL!
Dec 17, 2019, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EcoR
You sir, are awesome
Let me know if/when you need pics or specs of the plane like dimensions, weight or CG, altough there are plenty of top/side/front pics on google.
I think I'm good to go on the Volantex Ranger 2000, and should start on it right after I finish my current project.
After the Ranger I'm leaning toward the SUD Caravelle, and then perhaps a new glider. Maybe all by Christmas.

Cheers, rick
Dec 17, 2019, 03:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1
that's the "jet blue" version... Lol!
Dec 17, 2019, 08:32 PM
Rick,

Reeeeport...

Airtruk is awesome! It definitely flies different than some I have flown, had to land at about 25-30 percent throttle, and the stall performance requires you to have more airspeed than some airplanes. It's a welcome change in behavior, and the logic allowed me to tip stall a couple of times with disastrous results.

Your advice on using the Pitts Special for training is right on. It rewards you quickly with good and bad flying. I shot touch and goes for about 45 minutes, and I can tell I'm already using throttle and elevator a lot better, and handling the heading towards you reversal of controls. Switching from this to the Airtruk is a significant change.

Looking forward to the Caravelle!

Thanks bunches, have a Merry Christmas.
Dec 18, 2019, 08:57 AM
Thread OP

Yak-110

What do you get when you bolt two Yak-55's together and add a jet engine?
A twin fuselage monster that could have been called "FrankenYak"!
But instead was christened "Yak-110".

And in case you think I'm making this up, here's an Oshkosh video of the real thing:

Yak-110 Aerobatics - EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2018 (11 min 5 sec)

So cool that we just had to have a Phoenix model.
Tuned to be as agile as the real thing, but not quite 3D.
And with two gas engines plus a turbine, there's lots of entertaining smoke and noise!

360 degree tour:
Yak 110 Tour3 (0 min 23 sec)

Demo flight:
Yak 110 Demo Flight (1 min 38 sec)

Unzip and install the pkg file and you'll find "Yak-110" in the performance list.
Installation instructions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj2o7vx9b0...0File.pdf?dl=0

Have fun! rick
Last edited by rickp; Dec 19, 2019 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Updated paint scheme

Quick Reply