Aug 19, 2019, 05:25 PM

de Havilland DH.89 Dragon Rapide

Anyone who's tempted to create a model
of this one, the de Havilland DH.89 Dragon Rapide? It's such a cool mid-1930s design. If any of you have the Microsoft Flight Sim on the computer, there's a superb freeware model of it in the archive. It's stunning. Wish it was here...

DH. 89 Dragon Rapide Debut - Historic Flight Foundation (8 min 27 sec)
Last edited by Fatgadget; Aug 19, 2019 at 05:57 PM. Reason: bad spelling
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2019, 09:08 PM
better is enemy of good enough
Thread OP

Dh.89

I'll take that challenge - adding the DH.89 to the queue.

Looks like a great design, and who can resist such a cool name? Cheers, rick
Aug 20, 2019, 02:44 AM
Many thanks Rick, you're the one. I love the oddly shaped wings. It's like a flying penguin. It flies well though, check the YouTube videos above and below

SUPER SCALE RC de Havilland DH.89 Dragon Rapide (twin-engined short-haul biplane airliner) (8 min 54 sec)
Last edited by Fatgadget; Aug 20, 2019 at 05:25 AM. Reason: added video
Aug 20, 2019, 06:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatgadget
Many thanks Rick, you're the one. I love the oddly shaped wings. It's like a flying penguin. It flies well though, check the YouTube videos above and below

https://youtu.be/2BQ5FJG-_rg
You knew I was a sucker for antique aircraft, didn't you? rick
Aug 20, 2019, 07:35 AM
Haha. Yes, you're an angel with big wings. We love those old birds, they're charming and fun to fly.
Aug 23, 2019, 09:16 AM
Thread OP

XB-70 Valkyrie

Feel the need for speed? If so, then this should do it!
Requested by TRIKESTA, this is one speedy model and it's gorgeous to boot.
Note that the wingtips tilt down for high speed stability, controlled by the flaps channel.
While the original aircraft achieved mach 3; the Phoenix models tops out at 150 mph+, which is plenty fast.
So choose your flying site well as this one likes wide open spaces.

Unzip and install the pkg file and you'll find "XB-70" Valkyrie in the scale list.
Installation instructions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj2o7vx9b0...0File.pdf?dl=0

Enjoy, rick

360 degree tour:
XB 70 in Builder (0 min 20 sec)

Demo flight:
XB 70 in PhoenixRC (1 min 58 sec)
Last edited by rickp; Aug 25, 2019 at 09:37 AM.
Aug 25, 2019, 09:30 AM
Thread OP

Curtiss NC4 Amphib

Suggested by a friend of Katana's because they know that I like amphibs, the Curtiss NC4 is a vintage bipe.
It holds the distinction of the first transatlantic flight - from New York to Lisbon in 1919, though it was not non-stop.
It's an interesting story that you can find at this Wikipedia link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_NC-4

The Phoenix model has been in the works for more than a while, and it's worth the wait.
Probably my most complex creation to date - mostly because of all the rigging wires.
While they were only a mild PITA for me, can you imagine tuning all those by hand on the real aircraft?
And then flying in a contraption literally held together by bailing wire? Yikes.
The model is a joy to fly - much easier and certainly more aerobatic than the full scale version, I'm sure.
It has a nice glide, but will bounce on touchdown unless you hold it off the water until almost full aft stick.

Unzip and install the pkg file and you'll find "Curtiss NC4" in the amphib list.
Installation: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj2o7vx9b0...0File.pdf?dl=0

Enjoy! rick

ps: thank you, Naga, for the use of some of your excellent Spinne texture

360 degree Builder tour:
Curtiss NC4 in Builder (0 min 25 sec)

Demo flight:
Curtiss NC4 in PhoenixRC (1 min 39 sec)
Aug 25, 2019, 09:40 AM
My name is Naga
You are welcome to the textures Rick, always a pleasure to give something back.

You recently posted two beautiful planes. One beautiful in its simplicity and the other beautiful in its complexity.

Nice work on the pair of them.
Aug 25, 2019, 10:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagas
You are welcome to the textures Rick, always a pleasure to give something back.

You recently posted two beautiful planes. One beautiful in its simplicity and the other beautiful in its complexity.

Nice work on the pair of them.
Thanks Naga! rick
Aug 29, 2019, 01:12 AM
ultra cheap pilot
Hey Rick good to see you making more Phoenix Add-on models. Great job.

I'm still working on some of my left over project hopefully complete by next week.
Macross Frontier VF-25F Messiah WIP..
Aug 29, 2019, 08:55 AM
Luck is my skill
Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d
Hey Rick good to see you making more Phoenix Add-on models. Great job.

I'm still working on some of my left over project hopefully complete by next week.
Macross Frontier VF-25F Messiah WIP..
dude ... Dude ... DUDE ... DUUUUUDDDDDDDEEEEEE!!!!!!

If I lived near you, I would buy you lunch! I love your work!!!

Macross was my life when I was a young lil shyt.
Aug 29, 2019, 07:13 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau
dude ... Dude ... DUDE ... DUUUUUDDDDDDDEEEEEE!!!!!!

If I lived near you, I would buy you lunch! I love your work!!!

Macross was my life when I was a young lil shyt.
Ah!, your username really explained everything, lol.
Don't worry it'll be out soon, if i get free meal you'll get super booster pack on Vf-25.
Last edited by ican3d; Aug 29, 2019 at 07:52 PM.
Aug 30, 2019, 05:09 AM

Got a lot to catch up on after the holidays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Katana - Does this mean that I don't need to give you a Christmas present this year?

Cheers all, rick
Rick, the way I (We) see it, every glider is a Christmas present!.....
Each motor driven model is then for all other occasions such as birthdays, name days, wedding day.................
I've signed up for RC-Groups ~2016. I won’t go back and count the models now, but one thing is for sure without an exact number: The models we already have gotten should easily last for the next decade(s). You never had to give us anything! Nevertheless, You sacrificed countless hours of your precious time to create your wonderful models for us "RC madmen-girls".
My counter-proposal now would be for You to get a P.O. box and let us know from time to time what You & Your Better Half like to drink!
Wine (red, white, rose)? Bourbon? Scotch? Some Schnaps Specialties?
Or is there a special coffee roast which you enjoy on your early mornings?
This way we make sure you have a little extra Christmas each time you guys come back from one of your travels!

How does that sound?
Aug 30, 2019, 05:13 AM

"Dr. Detail" has had some busy nights!....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagas
Based on a glider airframe, the Messerschmitt Me 163 Komet was a German rocket-powered interceptor aircraft. Designed by Alexander Lippisch, it is the only rocket-powered fighter aircraft ever to have been operational and the first piloted aircraft of any type to exceed 1000 km/h (621 mph) in level flight.

Over 300 Komets were built, but the aircraft proved lacklustre as an interceptor it only destroyed between 9 and 18 Allied aircraft against 10 losses. Aside from combat losses many pilots were killed during testing and training (Wikipedia).

To reduce weight, a pair of front wheels were attached to a dolly that would be ejected after takeoff. Once the Komet had run out of rocket fuel after the attack, it would glide back to base at high speed and land on a skid.

Flaps were introduced on the production model (B) in an attempt to reduce speed prior to touchdown.

For the Phoenix model, take off with Landing Gear extended then Retract and the dolly with wheels will disappear. Leave the gear retracted to land on the skid. She should be flown at full throttle to replicate Flight behaviour.

The Phoenix version is based on a SketchUp model that seems no longer available.
Naga your Me 163 is simply a must have for everyone who owns a Phoenix copy. It is a tricky little beast, but the rocket effect you created is soo… cool.
Thank You for this gem under all your beautiful creations!
Aug 30, 2019, 05:20 AM

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Feel the need for speed? If so, then this should do it!
Requested by TRIKESTA, this is one speedy model and it's gorgeous to boot.
Note that the wingtips tilt down for high speed stability, controlled by the flaps channel.
While the original aircraft achieved mach 3; the Phoenix models tops out at 150 mph+, which is plenty fast.
So choose your flying site well as this one likes wide open spaces.

Enjoy, rick
Our Tomboy says Thank You, Rick!
It is nice to have a fast new model from time to time!………
Last edited by Katana 45; Aug 30, 2019 at 05:36 AM.

Quick Reply