Jun 15, 2019, 06:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredley
Might be too similar to some other offerings, but I really enjoy flying Gary Wright's craze wing.
Now that is one crazy wing!

Raw Performance: Tower Hobbies CrazE Wing EP ARF (2 min 0 sec)

Clearly have to make one for Phoenix as transparent wings are always a challenge to get just right.
If you have this model, please post some pictures if your paint scheme is different than the video.

Cheers, rick
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2019, 06:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravedan
Since you are from Derbyshire, take a trip to Rushup Edge when the wind is square on and over 25mph, and you'll most likely see it for real.

Most DS is "backside" but it is possible on the right hill to get below the lift in a dead zone frontside.

There are extensive threads here on RCG if you wish to follow them.

In Phoenix it is not just a case of getting "the right scenery", as ALL the settings, inc ones not transferred in a scenic package have to be right, and history has proven that people find this hard to achieve even without v5's dire treatment of wind effects.

Useful sites :-

http://www.rcspeeds.com/

and for the UK slope locations (all not necc DS) :-

http://www.slopehunter.co.uk/
Great references - thanks for sharing, rick
Jun 16, 2019, 01:12 PM
Thread OP

Horten Ho 229

A WW-II Luftwaffe jet powered flying wing that never quite made production, it makes for a spectacular model.

Flies well in Phoenix with no bad habits, though it does have a unique take off roll.
When the aft end lifts up the Ho229 essentially becomes a unicycle, making for interesting takeoffs.
As it has no rudder, you need to control the "lean" with ailerons.
I just add power and hold the stick full aft to get off the ground as quickly as possible.
One in the air you're golden; and as shown in the video below, she's a rush to fly.

HO 229 in Phoenix (1 min 9 sec)

Unzip and install the pkg file, and you'll find "Ho 229" in the scale list.
Installation instructions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj2o7vx9b0...0File.pdf?dl=0

Enjoy, rick

ps: almost forgot - turn fast while taxiing and you'll drag a wingtop. Too fast and you'll cartwheel.
Jun 16, 2019, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Now that is one crazy wing!

If you have this model, please post some pictures if your paint scheme is different than the video.

Cheers, rick
Sorry, Rick - both of mine look just like the video! Good luck!
Jun 19, 2019, 09:10 AM
Thread OP

Avionik B-16 Hot Liner

Built this fantastic hot liner a while ago, but didn't post it until now for some reason.
Most likely because I forgot to give it to Katana's Tuning Shop for their magic touch.
With input from his family, he turned the Avionik B-16 model into a blazingly fast but sweet flying hot rod.

Almost too fast for this old guy to handle. But hey, who doesn't like a challenge?

Unzip and install the attached pkg file and you'll find "Avionik B-16" in the performance glider list.
Installation instructions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj2o7vx9b0...0File.pdf?dl=0

Have fun with this one! rick
Jun 19, 2019, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagas
Here are two models based on the Lynx OXY-3.

The OXY-3 is built as the 255mm version and was tuned by BrokeDad; thanks for that.

The OXY-X Speed Qube (pronounced Ten) is a fantasy chopper based on the OXY-3 Speed shell with the Qube (triple) head and tail combo. I say fantasy as she is built at 2m length with a turbo engine. One can dream?

The models are a joint effort by Rick and myself. The OX-3 255 interior was detailed myself, I may have gone a bit overboard but got carried away.

Download the zips and install as a Phoenix upgrade. You should find them under Performance Helicopters.
Thank you, looking forward to see more heli models from you. They are great
Jun 19, 2019, 04:06 PM
My name is Naga
Thanks for that creativepilot, appreciative comments help both Rick and myself keep going.

Have you seen the Blue Thunder chopper? There is also a set of Bell 47s in various versions too.

Just check my Blog for the stuff I have made so far, they are all posted here on Ricks thread.

I have other choppers in mind; a Soviet Mil 24 Hind Crocodile is probably next on the list but some more SciFi stuff is in process to finish first.

Enjoy and best wishes.
Jun 20, 2019, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravedan
Since you are from Derbyshire, take a trip to Rushup Edge when the wind is square on and over 25mph, and you'll most likely see it for real.

Most DS is "backside" but it is possible on the right hill to get below the lift in a dead zone frontside.

There are extensive threads here on RCG if you wish to follow them.

In Phoenix it is not just a case of getting "the right scenery", as ALL the settings, inc ones not transferred in a scenic package have to be right, and history has proven that people find this hard to achieve even without v5's dire treatment of wind effects.

Useful sites :-

http://www.rcspeeds.com/

and for the UK slope locations (all not necc DS) :-

http://www.slopehunter.co.uk/
Thanks for the info and will definitely take a trip to Rushup Edge as well as check out the above info Taggarc
Jun 21, 2019, 10:15 AM
Thread OP

CrazE Wing

Now this is an appropriately named model as it certainly is crazy.
Crazy good! Fast and agile, so I can see why fredley likes it.

An interesting challenge to build because of the transparent wing covering.
Takes a bit more time to add wing ribs and spars, but that's all part of the fun.
The first two screenshots below are from Phoenix Builder, while the third is a Blender wireframe shot.
And here's a 360 degree Builder tour.

CrazE Wing in Builder (0 min 22 sec)

Unzip and install the pkg file and you'll find "CrazE Wing" in the performance list.

Enjoy, rick
Jun 21, 2019, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Now this is an appropriately named model as it certainly is crazy.
Crazy good! Fast and agile, so I can see why fredley likes it.

An interesting challenge to build because of the transparent wing covering.
Takes a bit more time to add wing ribs and spars, but that's all part of the fun.
The first two screenshots below are from Phoenix Builder, while the third is a Blender wireframe shot.
And here's a 360 degree Builder tour.

https://youtu.be/8Ma2QTzXvyg

Unzip and install the pkg file and you'll find "CrazE Wing" in the performance list.

Enjoy, rick
Very nice! Thank you! (The only change I made was to increase the prop pitch a bit to get it to fly like mine. Went from 0.32 to 0.38.) Nice!
Jun 22, 2019, 06:33 AM

CrazE Wing Combat! Anybody?

Hi guys!

This model has potential!....
The original size of the model is too weak to handle the streamers Phoenix adds to the models if you try to fly a contest. Therefore please use the scale assistant first and increase the wingspan to min. 1.2m. Adjust the prop size to 12x6 and increase the maximum engine rpm to 9000.
Best played in a home network environment or against your computer which is not as funny! Those AI’s are “chicken”!

Please put your cigarette out & fasten your seat belt! So the fun can begin!…….
Here a short video:
(1 min 28 sec)

Thanks Fredley, for recommending your model!
&
Thanks Rick for taking the time to build this model for us! It brings back all the good memories of F2D Control Line Combat!

Some info about CL F2D in general.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMgP3sr_IeM
Jun 22, 2019, 09:02 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana 45
Hi guys!

This model has potential!....
The original size of the model is too weak to handle the streamers Phoenix adds to the models if you try to fly a contest. Therefore please use the scale assistant first and increase the wingspan to min. 1.2m. Adjust the prop size to 12x6 and increase the maximum engine rpm to 9000.
Best played in a home network environment or against your computer which is not as funny! Those AI’s are “chicken”!

Please put your cigarette out & fasten your seat belt! So the fun can begin!…….
Here a short video:

Thanks Fredley, for recommending your model!
&
Thanks Rick for taking the time to build this model for us! It brings back all the good memories of F2D Control Line Combat!

Some info about CL F2D in general.
Way cool, and perhaps you've earned a new nickname - "KrazE Katana"??

EDIT: Holy crap Batman! Just watched the CL video and you've definitely earned your new nickname!

Cheers, rick
Last edited by rickp; Jun 22, 2019 at 09:34 AM.
Jun 24, 2019, 10:11 AM

Thanks a lot for the new nickname!…

Quote:
Way cool, and perhaps you've earned a new nickname - "KrazE Katana"??

EDIT: Holy crap Batman! Just watched the CL video and you've definitely earned your new nickname!

Cheers, rick
Rick,
you know from your own experience how easy it is to get me confused.
We need some rules here. Right?
I really like the first (older) nickname I’ve got from you: “Crazy glider guy”
It fits 100% & every club colleague would sign off on it.

The new nickname is also something I like a lot: “KrazE Katana”
But it has become a rarity that I can do something crazy with the Katana’s unbelievable roll rates or a CL model. Some really funny and crazy CL things are now even forbidden! I only need to start the diesel engine of one of my old Combat models and already "all" people look at me angry. 2,5cm³ with at least 22000 rpm, breathing completely free and without muffler is still quite loud, even with these silicone palms earplugs. So I’m only allowed to fly my old combat models once a year on the historic flight day without getting into trouble.
Enough with the story telling! Back to both names and when to use them?
How about, if it is something glider related I react to “crazy glider guy”?
And when it comes to the really fun & loud stuff I react to “KrazE Katana”?

My better half just suggested she will let print two T-shirts for me, so I'm prepared for each situation! This could prevent me from any confusion!?! Than she started to come up with some nicknames on her own. And mumbled something like: Let’s make it a dozen shirts, just to be safe!………..
Last edited by Katana 45; Jun 24, 2019 at 10:17 AM.
Jun 25, 2019, 11:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana 45
Rick,

My better half just suggested she will let print two T-shirts for me, so I'm prepared for each situation! This could prevent me from any confusion!?! Than she started to come up with some nicknames on her own. And mumbled something like: Let’s make it a dozen shirts, just to be safe!………..
Please tell your better half that's a splendid idea!
But of course we won't believe any of this until you post pictures of the shirts.

Cheers, rick
Jun 25, 2019, 11:39 AM
Thread OP

Osprey Sighting!

The aircraft, not the bird.

Camping near Lake Tahoe a few days ago when we heard a loud helicopter approaching. A VERY LOUD helicopter.
So loud that I was thinking survival thoughts as it sounded like it was coming down right on top of us!

But then it passed overhead and wonder of wonders it was a grey Osprey. How cool is that?
The rotors were rotated about 45 degrees from horizontal, so I guess it was in semi-helicopter mode.
It was followed by a second and much quieter Osprey going faster with the rotors in aircraft mode.

Guessing that these were Marine Ospreys from the nearby Fallon Naval Airstation as young pilots like to buzz the lake.
Not that I've ever done that sort of thing, but I've heard stories.

Cheers, rick

Quick Reply