Jan 02, 2018, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Happy New Year everyone!
Hard to believe that it's 2018, but that's what my calendar says so it must be true.

Let's start the year off with a little "need for speed".
I thought I was building an F9F Panther, but when it was done I realized that it was an F9F Cougar instead.
The most obvious difference being that the Panther has straight wings whereas the Cougar has swept wings.
Regardless, this is one blazing model. You really need to keep ahead of it mentally or you'll lose orientation.

Unzip the attached pkg file, install as a Phoenix update and you'll find "F9F Cougar" in the scale list.

Enjoy! rick p

Rick,

I DO enjoy it! Beautiful...Hot 'n Sweet...this one is...for sure! Just as you promised.

And she's really neat when flown on one of the Phoenix 3D sites...viewed in "chase" mode. She really moves!

Attached is a pic of the F9 Cougar in the hangar deck of the USS Yorktown at Patriot's Point museum in Charleston, SC.
She's on open cockpit permanent static display, and anyone can climb in and sit in the pilot's seat. Col!!

Thanks,

Tom
to remove ads between posts
Jan 02, 2018, 09:34 PM
better is enemy of good enough
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC BOSS
when you make balsa vs foam planes do you put different shine on the fuselage
I probably should dull down foam planes more than balsa, but I don't always do so.
For me it's more about the particular aircraft - warbirds feel like they should be dull - other types not so much.
Sometimes I ask the requester for their preference.

Hope that helps, rick p
Jan 03, 2018, 09:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr
Rick,

I DO enjoy it! Beautiful...Hot 'n Sweet...this one is...for sure! Just as you promised.

And she's really neat when flown on one of the Phoenix 3D sites...viewed in "chase" mode. She really moves!

Attached is a pic of the F9 Cougar in the hangar deck of the USS Yorktown at Patriot's Point museum in Charleston, SC.
She's on open cockpit permanent static display, and anyone can climb in and sit in the pilot's seat. Col!!

Thanks,

Tom
Very cool!

And thanks for trying the F9F at a 3D site.
I hadn't done that - way too much fun dodging trees while flying high speed low level!

Thanks, rick p
Jan 03, 2018, 11:59 AM
Rick,

I try a lot of yours at the 3D sites. Some work well...others' files are too large and you don't see the tail part of the plane.

But most work well and are fun to fly in "chase" mode. Your new Viking looks VERY good there!

One that's REALLY ridiculously fun is your Nutball! Try chasing it on a 3D site for grins!

Tom
Jan 03, 2018, 10:50 PM
Newbie with a Gee Bee
Hi Rick,

it's about time that I'll send another thank you note your way, for the new models you've been churning out lately!
Oh, and, ... umm ... hehe .... is , umm ... the - uhh ... UMX Gee Bee anywhere near to completion...?

Greetings,
Norm
Jan 03, 2018, 10:55 PM
My name is Naga
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgoon
Hi Rick,

it's about time that I'll send another thank you note your way, for the new models you've been churning out lately!
Oh, and, ... umm ... hehe .... is , umm ... the - uhh ... UMX Gee Bee anywhere near to completion...?

Greetings,
Norm
Gee Bee R2 not completed yet but a promising start made

You will need to be patient but it is high priority on my list.
Jan 04, 2018, 08:41 AM
Newbie with a Gee Bee
Hi Nagas, my apologies, it only dawns on me now that there are two constructors at work in this forum, churning out these great little models, thank you too for all your work!

Looking forward to the little beast!
Thanks again,
Norm
Jan 04, 2018, 09:09 AM
Newbie with a Gee Bee
Took the Ford Flivver for a flight yesterday, it flies exactly like what you would expect from a Ford plane - cheap, with a straight wing, no dihedral - terrible ... hahahaha...!!!
Flies exactly the way it looks...
But still a fun challenge to keep this thing level...LOL
Jan 04, 2018, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Rick,

I try a lot of yours at the 3D sites. Some work well...others' files are too large and you don't see the tail part of the plane.

But most work well and are fun to fly in "chase" mode. Your new Viking looks VERY good there!

One that's REALLY ridiculously fun is your Nutball! Try chasing it on a 3D site for grins!

Tom
Good idea---I tried the F9F in chase mode today. Just for fun, I decided it needed more power so I maxed out the EDF Max RPM and Torque settings and trimmed it to fly level at full throttle right-side-up and inverted. Attached is the "190mph" Phoenix Variant file for the F9F. The airframe handles the speed nicely.

To install, unzip and drop the file in PhoenixRC/Variants/Airplanes/...

If you have RickP's F9F installed, it'll show up as a variant under the primary model.
Last edited by aelflyer; Jan 04, 2018 at 05:19 PM.
Jan 04, 2018, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Hi underbird,

WISCONSIN?!!

Man, you guys are suffering this winter.

Stay warm and keep 'em flying, rick p
yeah since I last posted there has been no improvement. I actually had to buy shoes for the dog so he would #2.
Jan 05, 2018, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgoon
Took the Ford Flivver for a flight yesterday, it flies exactly like what you would expect from a Ford plane - cheap, with a straight wing, no dihedral - terrible ... hahahaha...!!!
Flies exactly the way it looks...
But still a fun challenge to keep this thing level...LOL
Dihedral? We don't need no stinking dihedral!

And if you think that's cheap, wait until you see the Chevy Chivver!

rick p
Last edited by rickp; Jan 05, 2018 at 08:23 PM.
Jan 05, 2018, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Dihedral? We don't need no sticking dihedral!

And if you think that's cheap, wait until you see the Chevy Chivver!

rick p

Rick,

As cold as it's been for most of us lately, maybe you should do a Saturn Shivvvvvver!

Tom
Jan 06, 2018, 08:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Rick,

As cold as it's been for most of us lately, maybe you should do a Saturn Shivvvvvver!

Tom
Exactly! rick p
Jan 06, 2018, 09:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by underbird
yeah since I last posted there has been no improvement. I actually had to buy shoes for the dog so he would #2.
Yikes!

Can you imagine having to use an outhouse in that kind of weather?

rick p
Jan 07, 2018, 10:03 PM
My name is Naga
I finally got my laptop connected to the WiFi system where I am currently located and have at last downloaded and flown the Viking and Inverza.

They both fly great, thanks for them rick!

I also posted links to the downloads on the Viking and Inverza threads here at RCGroups, also asking for help tuning the Inverza too. No response to the request for help but the guys think the Viking flys just like the real Eflite model (link).

Quick Reply