Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Mar 25, 2018, 12:18 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
TrueBld - good input - thanks!

Kiwibarge - sounds like you're doing everything right, so I wonder if the files are ending up in the right place.
Use file explorer and look in your Documents/PhoenixRC/Downloaded/Models/User-made/Airplanes folder and see if you have an AT-6 folder.
Your display should look something like my attachment. If the folder is there then it should appear in PhoenixRC.
If there is no AT-6 folder then either something went wrong in the installation, or the model ended up in the test lists.

Let us know please.

Thanks, rick
Hi Rick

Sorry - been out flying.Thanks for squandering your valuable time on this. I used File Explorer as directed.

The Documents/PhoenixRC/Downloaded/Models/Usermade/Airplanes folder has an AT6 folder, but no pkg file inside ?? It does show (in a Bush Mule folder) the Bush Mule.pkg I downloaded earlier using the non zipped system.

Can I just copy the unzipped AT6.pkg into the AT6 folder? It would be nice to know what I am doing wrong though .

Note your e-mail address lacked the ISP.

Peter
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 25, 2018, 05:48 AM
Registered User
rickp's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibarge
Hi Rick

Sorry - been out flying.Thanks for squandering your valuable time on this. I used File Explorer as directed.

The Documents/PhoenixRC/Downloaded/Models/Usermade/Airplanes folder has an AT6 folder, but no pkg file inside ?? It does show (in a Bush Mule folder) the Bush Mule.pkg I downloaded earlier using the non zipped system.

Can I just copy the unzipped AT6.pkg into the AT6 folder? It would be nice to know what I am doing wrong though .

Note your e-mail address lacked the ISP.

Peter
Hi Peter,

Check your PM again - it should have some other ideas as well as an updated email address.
No worries - we'll get you un-confused.

Thanks! rick p
Mar 25, 2018, 08:33 AM
Registered User
Katana 45's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagas
Oh! That sounds like BAAAAD news!

H.H. really seem to be doing strange things lately. They closed down their customer support in the U.K. and shifted it to Germany. Expensive to ship stuff over there, at our cost of course. That alone has made me think twice about buying any more stuff from them.

Then there has been that bootleg Phoenix 6 upgrade floating around for ages, and yet no official upgrade for ages. What is going on?

Still, at the end of the day we have Phoenix, we have Rick churning out new models at our request at a rate of knots and we can keep on flying.

Even if the shut the servers down we can still keep flying, although I do hope they keep things going.

In my opinion, buying Phoenix was probably the smartest move I made in RC. It has saved me a fortune in repair bills and I doubt I would ever have learned to fly without it, I would just have a pile of busted up aircraft and made no progress.

Hi Naga,

Long time no see (read)!
Have some good & some bad news.
The shipping costs at HH Europe are moderate. That's the good news!

Horizon Hobby Shipping Cost with DPD
Germany, Austria, France, Belgium:
Under 30 EUR 3,90 EUR
30 to 90 EUR 5,90 EUR
Over 90 EUR Free!
Switzerland:
Under 35 CHF 4,40 CHF
35 to 100 CHF 6,90 CHF
Over 100 CHF Free!
United Kingdom:
Under 25 GBP 3,40 GBP
25 to 80 GBP 4,90 GBP
Over 80 GBP Free!

But the bad news is, they sold off their stocks on PhoenixRC and inform their customers now, that the product is discontinued.

It seems TrueBuld was right all along and PhoenixRC is dying. The developing company is (was) Runtime Games Ltd. You should google them. Not much left of the company!!!

Cheers, Katana 45
Mar 26, 2018, 07:26 AM
Registered User
rickp's Avatar
Thread OP

Nerdnic Chipmunk


Now that I'm hooked on foamies thanks to "aelflyer" you can expect to see more of them from time-to-time.

And here's one of the best - the Nerdnic Chipmunk.
If you're tuned into the user-built foamy world you'll recognize the Nerdnic brand as well as this particular model.
It's Nic's self-described best flyer, and we were lucky enough to get Nic to help tune the Phoenix version - how cool is that?

This one uses his standard wing, though I'll probably add a speed wing version at some point.

Enjoy! rick

PS: unzip the pkg file, install as a PhoenixRC update and you'll find "Nerdnic Chipmunk" in the Airplanes.Electric list.
Mar 26, 2018, 09:10 AM
My name is Naga
nagas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana 45

Hi Naga,

Long time no see (read)!
Have some good & some bad news.
The shipping costs at HH Europe are moderate. That's the good news!

Horizon Hobby Shipping Cost with DPD
Germany, Austria, France, Belgium:
Under 30 EUR 3,90 EUR
30 to 90 EUR 5,90 EUR
Over 90 EUR Free!
Switzerland:
Under 35 CHF 4,40 CHF
35 to 100 CHF 6,90 CHF
Over 100 CHF Free!
United Kingdom:
Under 25 GBP 3,40 GBP
25 to 80 GBP 4,90 GBP
Over 80 GBP Free!

But the bad news is, they sold off their stocks on PhoenixRC and inform their customers now, that the product is discontinued.

It seems TrueBuld was right all along and PhoenixRC is dying. The developing company is (was) Runtime Games Ltd. You should google them. Not much left of the company!!!

Cheers, Katana 45
Shipping cost FROM the U.K. to H. H. in Germany is NOT cheap, and we have to pay for the returns. It was great when they had a support centre in the U.K. They were pretty helpful and shipping for returns not too bad.

Regarding Phoenix, that is very bad news indeed.

I just checked and the Phoenix web site is currently still up and running, but for how much longer? And the servers? If the product is discontinued then I cannot see them paying to maintain them indefinitely.

Of course Phoenix will still run on our computers, it does "check home" when launched but will run without an internet connection, but the multiplayer capabilities will be lost. Capt Jac will not be able to run his Phoenix Flight School and he has helped hundreds of students to get flying and get into the copters hobby.

Also, if the servers are shut down the downloads will go, time to get downloading while they are still available.

What a great shame, no wonder there hasn't been any progress on Version 6 and it hasn't officially been released.
Mar 26, 2018, 09:12 AM
Registered User
Hey I done the p3 how long how many hours would it take u to make the havoc
Mar 26, 2018, 09:36 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Now that I'm hooked on foamies thanks to "aelflyer" you can expect to see more of them from time-to-time.

And here's one of the best - the Nerdnic Chipmunk.
If you're tuned into the user-built foamy world you'll recognize the Nerdnic brand as well as this particular model.
It's Nic's self-described best flyer, and we were lucky enough to get Nic to help tune the Phoenix version - how cool is that?

This one uses his standard wing, though I'll probably add a speed wing version at some point.
Wow, this thing flies great, RickP! One of my favorites in Phoenix now...
Mar 26, 2018, 03:35 PM
Registered User
rickp's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aelflyer
Wow, this thing flies great, RickP! One of my favorites in Phoenix now...
Thanks, but as we both know that's more of a testament to Nic and his sweet airframe than anything else.
I just built the 3D model and added pretty paint. Non-trivial, but Nic's geometry added that magic.

And before that, I guess, the full scale Chipmunk had to be pretty nice flying as well.
That statement needs testing, of course, so I guess we'll have to build a Phoenix version of the original.
It's the only way to be sure, right?

rick
Mar 26, 2018, 03:42 PM
Registered User
rickp's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory123
Hey I done the p3 how long how many hours would it take u to make the havoc
Hi Rory,

Does that mean that you've successfully ported the P3 to Real Flight?
Post a video of it so that we can see how it looks, please.
I've actually never seen Real Flight, so that would be cool.

Thanks, rick
Mar 26, 2018, 11:52 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Hi Peter,

Check your PM again - it should have some other ideas as well as an updated email address.
No worries - we'll get you un-confused.

Thanks! rick p
For a anyone else with problems uploading pkg files - it was my security software (in my case Bit Defender) blocking Phoenix Installer!
Mar 27, 2018, 11:14 AM
Registered User
nerdnic's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Thanks, but as we both know that's more of a testament to Nic and his sweet airframe than anything else.
I just built the 3D model and added pretty paint. Non-trivial, but Nic's geometry added that magic.

And before that, I guess, the full scale Chipmunk had to be pretty nice flying as well.
That statement needs testing, of course, so I guess we'll have to build a Phoenix version of the original.
It's the only way to be sure, right?

rick
Thanks for taking the time to model my Chipmunk design into Phoenix! Really nice work, rick, it flies great.
Mar 27, 2018, 02:46 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagas
Shipping cost FROM the U.K. to H. H. in Germany is NOT cheap, and we have to pay for the returns. It was great when they had a support centre in the U.K. They were pretty helpful and shipping for returns not too bad.

Regarding Phoenix, that is very bad news indeed.

I just checked and the Phoenix web site is currently still up and running, but for how much longer? And the servers? If the product is discontinued then I cannot see them paying to maintain them indefinitely.
............
What a great shame, no wonder there hasn't been any progress on Version 6 and it hasn't officially been released.
While sorting out my Phoenix installer yesterday I noticed a Phoenix 5.5r on the manual Phoenix download site - given auto update only gets to 5.5l anyone know anything about this version? Edit - Getting overexcited - it is 5.0r - cancel all reference
Mar 27, 2018, 03:04 PM
Fly low and slow
TrueBuld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana 45
Hi Naga,

Long time no see (read)!
Have some good & some bad news.
The shipping costs at HH Europe are moderate. That's the good news!

Horizon Hobby Shipping Cost with DPD
Germany, Austria, France, Belgium:
Under 30 EUR 3,90 EUR
30 to 90 EUR 5,90 EUR
Over 90 EUR Free!
Switzerland:
Under 35 CHF 4,40 CHF
35 to 100 CHF 6,90 CHF
Over 100 CHF Free!
United Kingdom:
Under 25 GBP 3,40 GBP
25 to 80 GBP 4,90 GBP
Over 80 GBP Free!

But the bad news is, they sold off their stocks on PhoenixRC and inform their customers now, that the product is discontinued.

It seems TrueBuld was right all along and PhoenixRC is dying. The developing company is (was) Runtime Games Ltd. You should google them. Not much left of the company!!!

Cheers, Katana 45
Looking at the accounts of Runtime Games Ltd something happened between the accounting years 2015 and 2016. The profit and loss account shows that the P&L figure dropped by in 97.75%. in one year.
I hope that is just coincidence that we started discussing version 5 and 5.5 in December 2015 https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...05&postcount=1
Mar 27, 2018, 03:39 PM
My name is Naga
nagas's Avatar
I quickly went looking for 5r and couldn't find it. Now I see kiwibarge's edit and stopped looking.

I thought for a moment they may have left us a parting gift!

I emailed the support team a couple of days ago and got no response so far, I guess those guys (and gals) are out of a job, I feel for them.

The thread referenced by TrueBuild that discusses the upgrades wouldn't account for a 97.75% drop in sales, no wonder they've packed it in with that big a drop. Has RealFlight done for them?

I do have a dongle but before you jump on me, I also have a legit copy of Phoenix with the genuine USB cable. The reason I bought a dongle is that I soldered a very small seven channel Rx chip inside which I bind to my Tx. Voila, wireless! No more sitting with that flaming cable getting in the way. Once I went wireless there was no going back to a wired connection. Not sure I could even find it now, stashed somewhere.

So we are not going to get any more upgrades, great shame. My concern now is how long they are going to keep the servers going. HH is cutting costs all over the place, I doubt they will run those servers indefinitely then we lose the multiplayer capability.

Ever gone multiplayer on a Sunday? Loads of people sharing sites and blasting around, often crashing into others at the takeoff points. Great fun.
Mar 28, 2018, 07:39 AM
Registered User
rickp's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibarge
For a anyone else with problems uploading pkg files - it was my security software (in my case Bit Defender) blocking Phoenix Installer!
Thanks for sharing this, Kiwibarge; and thanks for your perseverance as it wasn't easy to figure out.

Additionally, Kiwibarge wins the prize for most interesting issue of 2018 (so far) and gets his very own custom AT-6 in Kiwi paint.
In his acceptance speech he graciously announced that he's sharing that with us all, so it's been added to the AT-6 post.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2368

Regards, rick
Last edited by rickp; Mar 29, 2018 at 07:01 AM.
Mar 28, 2018, 07:47 AM
Registered User
rickp's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdnic
Thanks for taking the time to model my Chipmunk design into Phoenix! Really nice work, rick, it flies great.
My pleasure Nic, and thanks for creating such a great model in the first place.

Regards, rick
Mar 28, 2018, 07:51 AM
Registered User
rickp's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagas
I quickly went looking for 5r and couldn't find it. Now I see kiwibarge's edit and stopped looking.

I thought for a moment they may have left us a parting gift!

I emailed the support team a couple of days ago and got no response so far, I guess those guys (and gals) are out of a job, I feel for them.

The thread referenced by TrueBuild that discusses the upgrades wouldn't account for a 97.75% drop in sales, no wonder they've packed it in with that big a drop. Has RealFlight done for them?

I do have a dongle but before you jump on me, I also have a legit copy of Phoenix with the genuine USB cable. The reason I bought a dongle is that I soldered a very small seven channel Rx chip inside which I bind to my Tx. Voila, wireless! No more sitting with that flaming cable getting in the way. Once I went wireless there was no going back to a wired connection. Not sure I could even find it now, stashed somewhere.

So we are not going to get any more upgrades, great shame. My concern now is how long they are going to keep the servers going. HH is cutting costs all over the place, I doubt they will run those servers indefinitely then we lose the multiplayer capability.

Ever gone multiplayer on a Sunday? Loads of people sharing sites and blasting around, often crashing into others at the takeoff points. Great fun.
Clever way to make Phoenix wireless - well done!
And I like your concern for the Phoenix folks that may be without a job.
So many times we just think of ourselves in a situation like this, and I'm as guilty of that as anyone.

Cheers, rickp
Mar 28, 2018, 03:57 PM
Registered User
rickp's Avatar
Thread OP

Serendipity?


Is the SR in SR-71 an abbreviation for Serendipity?
Must be, as I started the SR-71 model just a few days ago and then stumbled across a real one while driving down the highway yesterday.
What a big, black imposing aircraft. Unfortunately didn't have time to stop and snap pictures, but what a coincidence!
So I'm doubling down on my efforts and hope to get it posted soon.

Here's a screenshot of progress to date.

rick
Mar 29, 2018, 04:53 AM
Jason Lipshitz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Is the SR in SR-71 an abbreviation for Serendipity?
Must be, as I started the SR-71 model just a few days ago and then stumbled across a real one while driving down the highway yesterday.
What a big, black imposing aircraft. Unfortunately didn't have time to stop and snap pictures, but what a coincidence!
So I'm doubling down on my efforts and hope to get it posted soon.

Here's a screenshot of progress to date.

rick
Actually stands for" Strategic Reconnaissance)"

But its looking good

Cant wait 4 the end product
Mar 29, 2018, 12:22 PM
Registered User

AT-6 Kiwi


-Thanks for adding the AT-6 Kiwi colour scheme Rick - is that the only 'flying' kiwi on Phoenix 😀.

Peter


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools