May 30, 2017, 11:26 AM
Model -> Change -> "Sort by: Class" - Airplanes -> Scale -> Beaver
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2017, 12:44 PM
Aka "DiveBomb"
We are talking about menus in Phoenix, in case you where looking for this breakdown here in the thread
May 30, 2017, 03:56 PM
Yep, I was looking here for the thread.

I have looked at the Phoenix Beaver but unfortunately it is gas powered and much bigger than my electric powered Flyzone model.

I live in a remote area and don't have access to other modellers so I need to take baby steps getting into this hobby. The Beaver is my first R/C aircraft and what I was hoping for was a sim aircraft the closely matches the performance of the Beaver. I'm putting in a lot of sim time in preparation for my first flight which I hope will be soon. I have a understanding of the principles of flight and aircraft control systems, I was a pilot for 47 years, so it is really only the R/C control systems that I need to get comfortable with.
May 30, 2017, 05:10 PM
Aka "DiveBomb"
I had a feeling. I'm in your boat as well, I don't many local flyers myself iether.

I think as long as your comfortable with orientations in the sim you will be fine as the beaver is a very forgiving flyer.

Any high wing type will get you pretty close. And you will fly confidently when you get the real deal in the air.
May 30, 2017, 07:09 PM
(deleted...double post)

Tom
Last edited by shepflyr; May 31, 2017 at 12:50 PM.
May 30, 2017, 07:11 PM
Canuk257,

Welcome to the threads and our hobby! Hope you enjoy it as much as full scale flying! (OK, maybe not as much...but close? )

You probably already know this, but one tip I will share concerns orientation: " Put yourself in the cockpit."

When it comes to orientation, RC flying is harder than full scale because you're outside of the aircraft looking at it, rather than inside looking out. Left/right can get confusing...and you don't always have time to out-think it!

I learned to put myself mentally in the airplane's cockpit. Then, no matter what the orientation of the airplane is, left is always the left side of the plane, and right is vice versa. The flight sim practice helped me tremendously with this.

Best to you! I look forward to reading your flight reports.

Tom
May 31, 2017, 07:58 AM
better is enemy of good enough
Thread OP
Canuk257,

What they said.
Since you already understand the stick and rudder bits, it's all about orientation.

FYI, one can edit the Phoenix Beaver right there in PhoenixRC and make it very much like your model.
You might want to try it yourself, but if not I'd be glad to take it on.

EDIT: decided to just go ahead and do it since it was a quick deal.
I scaled the existing beaver to get roughly the Flyzone wingspan and then manually edited the weight.
Then I changed the engine sound to medium electric, turned off the engine smoke, and set idle RPM to zero.
Voila' - should be pretty close to your Flyzone.

To install it, unzip the .var file to your MyDocuments/PhoenixRC/Variants/Airplanes folder.

Enjoy the journey, rick
Last edited by rickp; May 31, 2017 at 08:28 AM.
May 31, 2017, 08:08 AM
Thread OP

Super Corsair

Way back in post 1486 we had a standard F4U Corsair painted red to look a bit like a Super Corsair.

The version posted here is a Super Corsair.
It has a full canopy, a slightly enlarged nose with an additional scoop, and a bit more power.

Enjoy, rick p

ps: Unzip the .pkg file, install as a Phoenix update, and you'll find it in the scale list as "F4U Super Corsair".
Update instructions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj2o7vx9b0...0File.pdf?dl=0
Last edited by rickp; Aug 16, 2019 at 11:44 PM.
May 31, 2017, 09:12 AM
My name is Naga
Super Corsair! Ho ho!

And she is a beauty too!

Thanks Rick
May 31, 2017, 09:50 AM
Thanks you guys for all the warm greetings, encouragement and advice. Special thanks to RickP for the "custom" Beaver. Gonna rush to the desktop (I'm on my laptop here) and give it a fly. Again my thanks for the warm and fuzzy feeling I'm experiencing on this forum.
May 31, 2017, 09:59 AM
Lost at LAX
Bought a new (to me anyway) DXe, now I'll have a dedicated Phoenix and buddy box transmitter again. You folks have been BUSY since I was last here
May 31, 2017, 10:09 AM
I just tried out my "new" Flyzone Beaver, it's terrific. Thanks again RickP.

A question, does scaling the model up change the flight charecteristicss and if so, how?
May 31, 2017, 03:35 PM
Rick,

I LOVE what you did for the red F4U Super Corsair! She's beautiful and flies great...a well-done upgrade!

And I'm also enjoying your Flyzone Beaver. It's another of my favorites.

Here's a waterbird variant livery scheme you could try if the mood strikes you.
Personally, I think she's a beauty who would look great in either/both Flyzone and your larger gas model scale.
https://www.motionrc.com/collections...c-2-beaver-rxr

Full Scale "Lady Esther" she's modeled after:
Island Wings DHC-2 Beaver - Ketchikan to the Misty Fjords (11 min 40 sec)

Tom
Last edited by shepflyr; May 31, 2017 at 03:40 PM.
May 31, 2017, 04:47 PM
Hello Rick

Can you please add some floats to the Timber in post #321?

Tks
Kevin
Jun 01, 2017, 07:29 AM
Thread OP

Timber with Floats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.E
Hello Rick

Can you please add some floats to the Timber in post #321?

Tks
Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Excellent idea - here ya go.
Candidly, I thought it might be just okay, but it's quite a bit of fun!

Enjoy, rick p

ps: Unzip the .pkg file, install as a Phoenix update, and you'll find it in the amphibious list as "Timber Floats v1.0".
Update instructions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj2o7vx9b0...0File.pdf?dl=0
Last edited by rickp; Aug 16, 2019 at 11:44 PM.

Quick Reply