May 25, 2017, 03:36 PM
My name is Naga
Thanks for the link to the Blender Tutorial buddy!

I am just scrolling through the thread looking for a posting for it.

Problem is, I keep seeing models I haven't downloaded yet and so stop to add that to my Phoenix hangar. I have reached Page 31 and keep finding more!

What a fantastic resource this is, you have every reason to be well proud rickp!!!

Happy days
Last edited by nagas; May 25, 2017 at 04:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2017, 06:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagas
I just downloaded Blender to have a play with it.

All I can say is ! Pretty steep learning curve here.

It makes me appreciate your work and skills even more rickp!!!

You sir are an artist
Thanks for the compliment Naga!

Artist though? Hardly, as I've barely scratched the surface of Blender's capability.

Witold Jaworski, now he's an artist - the image below is from his book "Virtual Airplane".
Most everything I know about creating 3D images I learned from him.
With the occasional hint from other users.

Cheers, rick p
May 25, 2017, 06:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks for the link to the Blender Tutorial buddy!

I am just scrolling through the thread looking for a posting for it.

Problem is, I keep seeing models I haven't downloaded yet and so stop to add that to my Phoenix hangar. I have reached Page 31 and keep finding more!

What a fantastic resource this is, you have every reason to be well proud rickp!!!

Happy days
Doug - thanks for pointing Naga to the tutorial.

Naga - though the Blender learning curve is long, it's not as steep as you might imagine, and you really don't need to go deep into it to create 3d aircraft.
Which is the point of the tutorial - it's not exceptionally difficult work, but it does require a bit of determination and attention to detail.
Wait a minute - aren't determination and attention to detail requirements of a paleontologist?
Sounds like you'd be a natural at this.

rick p
Last edited by rickp; May 25, 2017 at 06:35 PM.
May 25, 2017, 06:55 PM
My name is Naga
Thanks guys, those Tutorials are a great resource.

I have quickly scanned through them all and although not simple, it certainly looks doable.

I have a project in mind (apart from the one we've been looking at rick), a simple aircraft that would be a good start to play with and do in tandem with the Tutorial Stik exercises.

Doesn't "determination and attention to detail" come with being an old fart? In that case I should have loads of both!

Regarding Witold Jaworski's model it sure is beautiful, but can it fly in Phoenix???

Modesty aside, you most certainly are an artist rick, and I am sure the guys who have the pleasure of flying your creations will agree!
May 25, 2017, 09:38 PM
"Modesty aside, you most certainly are an artist rick, and I am sure the guys who have the pleasure of flying your creations will agree! "

+1,000!!

I'm certainly one who will agree!

Tom
May 26, 2017, 09:17 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks guys, those Tutorials are a great resource.

. . . . .

Regarding Witold Jaworski's model it sure is beautiful, but can it fly in Phoenix???

. . . . .
Aye - there's the rub - it doesn't fly in Phoenix!

Not because I didn't try, but because it's so complex that it blows up PhoenixBuilder.
Don't know where the limit is, but apparently too many vertices / objects / something is just too much.
Which is not necessarily a bad thing because it give me a reason to limit the amount of detail in a model.
Let's face it, these things could become a life's work if you're not careful.
But for me there's a point of diminishing returns.

That said, it's always cool when one of the other modelers pushes the envelope out a bit.

Later, rick p
May 27, 2017, 05:59 AM
My name is Naga

Red Super Corsair

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp

Black Sheep Squadron (Pappy Boyington), Royal Navy in camo, and the Red Super Corsair.
The Super Corsair has no mods other than the pretty red paint.
I'll come back later and post a more realistic Super Corsair with fuselage and canopy mods.
That said, the red Corsair just seems faster to me. Red is always faster - no?

Enjoy, rickp
Been flying the Super today. Lovely aircraft! I am sure it flys better because it is red!

My first UMX Corsair is a bit battered and also needs a sticky and unreliable servo fixing (hence the state it is in). One of the first UMXs I bought, she was my goto fixed wing last summer. I learned how to fly with ailerons and do loops and rolls on her so some sentimental value. Very nice little plane.

New bodywork on order, so I have decided that it will get done up in the red and white livery of the Super. I may even go Brushless with this one; there is a nice mod that uses the nano CPX HH Brushless upgrade motor with appropriate pinion in the stock gearbox instead of the "pager" motor. A tad more power, plus longevity.

Thanks for another plane that is just a pleasure to fly and look at rick.
May 27, 2017, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Been flying the Super today. Lovely aircraft! I am sure it flys better because it is red!

My first UMX Corsair is a bit battered and also needs a sticky and unreliable servo fixing (hence the state it is in). One of the first UMXs I bought, she was my goto fixed wing last summer. I learned how to fly with ailerons and do loops and rolls on her so some sentimental value. Very nice little plane.

New bodywork on order, so I have decided that it will get done up in the red and white livery of the Super. I may even go Brushless with this one; there is a nice mod that uses the nano CPX HH Brushless upgrade motor with appropriate pinion in the stock gearbox instead of the "pager" motor. A tad more power, plus longevity.

Thanks for another plane that is just a pleasure to fly and look at rick.
My first UMX aircraft as well! Not counting the ubiquitous Champ, which isn't strictly UMX though it's certainly Micro.
It's a great plane and I still fly mine regularly - probably my favorite aircraft besides the UMX Pitts.

Your idea to turn it into a Super Corsair is, well, SUPER.
I've been hoping that we'll see a 2S UMX Corsair released - that would be very popular.
That said, keep us updated on your project as I'm sure there is a lot of interest.
Maybe a build blog?

By the way, I fully intend to re-do the Super Corsair with a proper body shape.
Should be in the next week or so.

Cheers, rick p

ps: And of course it flies better because it's red! No question.
pps: Why do you think the Pitts is so great! Red.
Last edited by rickp; May 27, 2017 at 08:41 AM.
May 27, 2017, 08:56 AM
My name is Naga
Yeh, I wasn't counting the Champ as it isn't a UMX and I outgrew it in a couple of flights.

I don't think I have even listed on my blog as being in my hangar even though (as usual) there are two sat there. They will get ripped up for the brick and motor, one was bought used off the bay for a song just for that purpose.

Having said that, one of my colleagues at work has a young son and is expressing interest in RC as something to go out and do with him. I may let him have the first one since it is still in good condition.

I have a couple of the dinky BO-105 CBcx Red Bull coaxials. I bought them for the shell to use with a nano CPX. Once I get one of them flying right (need a weight in the nose for CoG) young Theo can have it as a gift to fly round room and annoy his mother with.

Now HH have moved away from the old pager brushed motors to 2S Brushless, I am hoping some more of the Warbirds will be released with the upgrades.
May 29, 2017, 09:53 AM
Thread OP

Spitfire Mk24

Oh yeah - Spitfires are great!

This one turned out to be more of a challenge than I anticipated, but that just added to the fun.
Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I do.

Regards, rick p

ps: Unzip the .pkg file, install as a Phoenix update, and you'll find it in the scale list.
Update instructions: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zj2o7vx9b0...0File.pdf?dl=0
Last edited by rickp; Aug 16, 2019 at 11:44 PM.
May 29, 2017, 10:01 AM
Thread OP
editing error !
May 29, 2017, 10:33 AM
My name is Naga
Very, very nice!

When I grew up, our next door neighbour had flown Spits in the WWII. He didn't talk about it much.

The Spit was the first UMX Warcraft I bought. Still haven't flown it as I chopped the tip of a wing off foolishly flying round the room with a nano CPX while it was out on display. That'll learn me!

Downloaded, now to fly her!
May 29, 2017, 06:16 PM
I just joined this forum and started trawling for something that simulates the Flyzone Beaver on wheels. Is there such a model available for the Phoenix Sym?
May 30, 2017, 07:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck257
I just joined this forum and started trawling for something that simulates the Flyzone Beaver on wheels. Is there such a model available for the Phoenix Sym?
Welcome canuck257,

There is a Beaver in the Phoenix distribution that may suit you.
Look for it in the scale list.

Regards, rick p
May 30, 2017, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Welcome canuck257,

There is a Beaver in the Phoenix distribution that may suit you.
Look for it in the scale list.

Regards, rick p
Thank you Rick, could you expand on Phoenix distribution and where can I find the scale list please? Sorry to have to ask but I am a complete newbie to the R/C world

Quick Reply