Sep 20, 2020, 09:11 AM
better is enemy of good enough
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireJoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9s6t1whZp8

Here's a cool video with an f100f and a great pilot who was shot down back in 1965 doing those crazy missions I read about! There is also an f4 that flies with the f100 towards the end for you Rick!
That certainly brought back some memories - thanks for sharing that incredible video! rick
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2020, 02:33 PM
Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9s6t1whZp8

Here's a cool video with an f100f and a great pilot who was shot down back in 1965 doing those crazy missions I read about! There is also an f4 that flies with the f100 towards the end for you Rick!
Thank you so much for sharing this video! We are going through some tough times in this country right now, and it pays to remember that THIS is who we are, THIS is what stand for and THIS is what we are about!
Sep 20, 2020, 02:48 PM
Thread OP

Another Good Wild Weasel Book

Quote:
OH ya! The hun! I just recently read 'Hunter Killers' about the early days of the wild weasels in Vietnam. I had never really known much about the f-100s. As a kid it was all f-14s 15s 16s and 18s and you'd hear about f-4s and a-4s from vietnam and f86s in Korea. Those were some crazy stories of the early days of wild weaseling in the two seater f100s. I know it was quickly replaced but still such a cool aircraft and pretty amazing what they did with it in those times! I am going to enjoy this model Rick, you've done it again!
Check out "Viper Pilot" by Dan Hampton. A good read, rick
Sep 20, 2020, 08:35 PM
Thread OP

F-100 "Super Duper Sabre"

Let's see what you guys and gals can do with this one.
Install normally and you'll find "F-100 Super Duper Saber" next to the Super Saber.

Flaps up initiates red smoke, not that anyone will need it, of course.

Flight demo:
F 100 Super Duper Sabre (1 min 31 sec)

Careful now! rick
Last edited by rickp; Sep 22, 2020 at 08:14 AM. Reason: attach pkg file - duh!
Sep 20, 2020, 10:58 PM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
ama has some awesome vintage model airplane videos they produced in the 70's im thinking. as i was watching the videos i saw some models that i have seen and flown from here. here is a link i hope you enjoy it as much as i did.

Diamonds in the sky (31 min 50 sec)
Sep 21, 2020, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp
Check out "Viper Pilot" by Dan Hampton. A good read, rick
So funny you mention that, I did just read it! Right after the hunter killers book! It was excellent and so interesting to see how the tech and tactics changed over the years! There was one funny section about the 'old' f4 crews butting heads with the f16 guys when they worked together I think it was back in 91. The author did not like getting attitude from them and they didn't like these new solo hotshots in f16s I suppose. Funny all the rivalry and competition even within the same service, same mission - warrior spirit I suppose!
Sep 21, 2020, 03:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer712
Thank you so much for sharing this video! We are going through some tough times in this country right now, and it pays to remember that THIS is who we are, THIS is what stand for and THIS is what we are about!
I know it! In fact, that video made me look into Colonel Bud Day and wow, what a man, what a record! He served in WW2 as a marine and then got into aviation and switched services all after ww2. He was already an 'old' soldier having served in Korea and then finally Vietnam when he volunteered for those crazy dangerous missions on his last tour with wife and small kids back home. That's the part that really gets to someone like me! Then he was a POW at my age with that family back home growing up without him. Obviously his son turned out something like his dad as you see in the video!
Sep 21, 2020, 06:06 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.wayne
i wanted to let you guy know that you guys did an amazingly tremendous fantastic job creating the Beechcraft Staggerwing TEX v4.0 model and the Beech 18 Float Plane Pirate Cove Edition. I have been having a blast flying them, they are so good i haven't had the want to edit anything about them. They are perfect the way they are.
Glad you're enjoying them.

Interesting that the Staggerwing is one of my early models, and I see all kinds of faults when I look at it.
And have even thought of redoing it, but guess I'll leave well enough alone for now.

Cheers! rick
Sep 21, 2020, 06:59 PM
Saunders Roe Jet Flying Boat (1947) (5 min 6 sec)

check out the video footage of this jet flying just after ww2. It would make an awesome rc model, umx size or 64 mm - 70 mm. It could belly land on grass or ice/snow in winter and, obviously, you could fly it off of lakes/ponds.

I suppose it would make a neat sim model too?!?!!?? No worries I haven't even tried the f100 yet and I'm itching to try it!
Sep 22, 2020, 08:17 AM
Thread OP

F-100 "Super Duper Sabre" pkg file posted

Forgot to upload it to post #4969.

No wonder no one else was flying it - duh.

Thanks for the reminder, Naga!
Sep 22, 2020, 08:20 AM
My name is Naga
Welcome, as always.

I wasn't even sure if there was supposed to be a new model in fact!

Always got your back buddy.
Sep 22, 2020, 08:21 AM
Thread OP
[QUOTE=G.wayne;45485055]ama has some awesome vintage model airplane videos they produced in the 70's im thinking. as i was watching the videos i saw some models that i have seen and flown from here. here is a link i hope you enjoy it as much as i did.

Only downside is that you need to sit still for 30 minutes to watch it.

Awesome video, though - thanks for posting it.

AMA also has a lot of free plans available as well. Cheers, rick

EDIT:
Incredibly entertaining video!
Excuse the play-by-play below as I wait for one of our cars to be serviced.

Some of those models are huge - the Ford Tri-Motor and C-130 are scary big.
The pylon racing (or was it combat?) was cool - the spotter really got into it - jumping around and cheering.
And the "ancient" technology - are those C cell batteries wired in series/parallel?? RC pioneers, for sure.

And here we go - choppers appearing at 12:17. Naga will recognize each and every one of them!
Scale flight followed by a bit of mild aerobatics (says "plank man").

Recognized most of the fixed wing models, but some elicited a "what is that?" reaction.
Space Shuttle launch from a high wing trainer at 23:30 was neat.
B-17 detail beginning at 24:05 is amazing.
Huge sailplanes beginning at 27:30 - yikes.
Is that a "Gentle Lady"??

Boys (and girls) and their toys!
Last edited by rickp; Sep 22, 2020 at 11:24 AM.
Sep 22, 2020, 08:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagas
Welcome, as always.

I wasn't even sure if there was supposed to be a new model in fact!

Always got your back buddy.
It's a tough job - thanks!
Sep 22, 2020, 08:28 AM
Thread OP
Quote:

check out the video footage of this jet flying just after ww2. It would make an awesome rc model, umx size or 64 mm - 70 mm. It could belly land on grass or ice/snow in winter and, obviously, you could fly it off of lakes/ponds.

I suppose it would make a neat sim model too?!?!!?? No worries I haven't even tried the f100 yet and I'm itching to try it!
Now that's downright "interesting".

A bit weird looking, but would indeed make a fine model IRL or in Phoenix.
It looks better in the attached pictures than the video.

In the short queue, rick
Sep 22, 2020, 10:52 AM
Thread OP

Milestones

Just happened to (belatedly) notice that we passed 2000 days with this thread, and have the following statistics as of 8:28 am PST.

- Replies: 4978
- Views: 660,404

You do know that this was intended to be an April Fools joke in 2015, right?
Last edited by rickp; Sep 22, 2020 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply