Where are ready built free flight toy planes to convertt to micro R/C sold? - RC Groups
Jan 12, 2002, 09:07 PM
Question

Where are ready built free flight toy planes to convertt to micro R/C sold?

Been searching for 2 hours for a thread I once saw about kid's free flight toy planes that can be converted to R/C

There was a tool web site that advertised small ( about 20 inch wing) electric powered free flight planes.

I would like to buy one of those and carve a GWS pico receiver and servos into it.

Any help with sources of inexpensive planes, power systems etc will be greatly apreciated.

Keep em flying
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2002, 09:46 PM
Anybody try any of these http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXBDV7&P=7
Jan 12, 2002, 10:22 PM
Bought the P-40. First flight at the field and it headed for the alders...I waved good bye! then it turned 90 degrees and headed for the tall pines...I waved good bye again. At the last second, it turned 180 degrees and flew back to me! It is a great free flight with a slight climbing anf turning tendency. You need a field about 300 sq.
I stripped it to do RC with micro stuff from Skyhooks and Rigging. Even with the smallest gear it comes out just under 3.5 oz, which seems to me to be too heavy(this with lithiums). Most of the weight is in the plane itself (heavy foam). So I've it put back together as it was, to head it off again into the woods, only this time I'll film my $15 adventure.
Now if someone would come up a P-40 that looked as good and was about 30" WS. Don't tell me about the FXX models, I have one and think it is junk for the price(2 sets of wings - both warped at the tips).
Jan 12, 2002, 11:58 PM
Dorme:

Thanks for the humorous tale about your adventure.

I've heard the Cox Viper ( small p-51) has ben coverted to micro R/C and flown.

I figure one of the high wing types with wings over 25 inches would make the best candidate. For example: The swarm http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXPW90&P=0

Hopefully some ezoners will provide more information.
Last edited by poobs; Jan 13, 2002 at 12:00 AM.
Jan 13, 2002, 12:13 AM
Blew out my flip flop
Poobs,

Try looking for harbor freight...I know folks have posted links to stuff they sold from time to time. I did an air powered estes( I think) plane called a Jolly Roger a while back...the wing on it looked neat cause it had the swept tips like is popular on the pylon and hotliner type planes. 22" span, I think, and I used ail/ele controls and a dxa motor dd on a viper prop. It flew ok, but you had to dive to turn...stock wing incidence issue, I believe....I'm gonna try the wing on a scratched balsa fuse/tail someday, when I get around to it. Don't hold your breath tho!!!

Later,
David
Jan 13, 2002, 01:07 AM
Mike Swan
Heres the Acro Bipe, http://www.storeofwonder.com/ lots of info over on the rc microflight board.
Jan 13, 2002, 02:19 AM
MrC
MrC
BTW, the Cox Viper P-51 is on sale for $10 at Walmart.

--MrC
Jan 13, 2002, 02:48 AM
high-speed freak
saw a converted viper fly today... gm 4046 (like a speed 300) direct drive with the stock prop and 6x720AAA nimh's extremely heavy for it's size, and it is very fast. the guy flying it knows how to fly, and there were spiderwebbed epoxy repairs all over the thing!
Jan 13, 2002, 04:46 AM

Just make your own planes

If you convert what others have produced you will never have what you actually want.
To get a F/F kids to to work for R/C you will no doubt spent a lot of time reducing the planes weight, chopping it about to get the parts inside, modifying the fuselage to have removable wings etc.
Use that time and engery to carve a foam fuselage and use a Depron single skin wing.
Epilot made his little Spit in a couple of evenings, now he has a plane that is the correct size, weight and - its a Spit!
Mark

ps, the Czech manufactures will no doubt make a little foam plane specifically for micro indoor flight as they have lots of experience of these things. Maybe in 12 months you can have a ready to fly plane that will weigh say 30g. Would that make it a toy? This would and take out all the aeromodelling and you miss the buzz you get when you get a DIY plane to fly well.
Jan 13, 2002, 06:34 AM
Only nerd in the village

Re: Just make your own planes

Quote:
Originally posted by aeronutz
Epilot made his little Spit in a couple of evenings, now he has a plane that is the correct size, weight and - its a Spit!
Confession time!

It actually only took 1 evening to build, but I did not paint it until next day (this took perhaps 20 minutes). With a concentrated effort the model can be built in 3-4 hours.

I have to agree with Mark that often you spend so much time on modifying a model that was intended for something else, that you might as well have built a new model from scratch.

You can make converts into nice flying models and get enjoyment from them but IMHO you end up spending more time and money than on a scratchbuilt.

My 2 pfennings worth - oops, sorry; 2 cents worth

Michael
Jan 13, 2002, 09:14 AM
You guys bring up interesting points. Thanks

I also considered converting a rubber band powered plane.

The reason I considered a ready made electric f/f is because I felt less building time would be involved. (I don't have much free time )
Apr 22, 2002, 10:52 AM
"Bible Thumper"
couple new ones
http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/air...7_products.htm
http://www.flyingtoys.com/index.html
Anyone try one of these as a N-20 or GWS DD twin jet
http://www.robart.com/pages/closeout.html
Last edited by AMTJIM; Apr 22, 2002 at 11:01 AM.
Apr 22, 2002, 11:46 AM
I've got the Acro Bipe and the P40 from Hobbico (both are posted here someplace) both fly great. Conversions are relatively easy and don't require a lot of time and contrary to others opinions when they're done and flying I've got something I actually wanted (semi scale P40 with camouflage and Flying Tigers paint scheme in less than 3 hours for $15). The Hobbico Zero's in the works and the 18.5 inch P51 should be a panic once I get the control throws figured out. Just got an email from Tower, they've just shipped the ME109 and the Spitfire. Hmmm, 5 semi scale warbirds that look good and fly great for 70 bucks, no fun doing that.

Have fun!

Mike
Apr 22, 2002, 01:32 PM
poobs, I think the "tool web site" you're talking about is http://www.harborfreight.com

They do sell a small electric free flight plane.
Apr 22, 2002, 02:43 PM
Strange Plane Central
An unexpected characteristic is that they fly in the wind pretty well. Their wing loading is higher and some are fairly clean aerodynamically.

I converted the cox viper and have lost count of the repairs and it still flys great!