Aug 03, 2015, 01:54 PM
Slopeosapien
Well the troublesome Canadians are making good time so far... Currently in Lacey, should make the Cape sometime around dinner...
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2015, 03:40 PM
Charging and charging and charging.............

Mike
Aug 03, 2015, 04:22 PM

"Advance party" report

Turned onto Blanco Drive about 09:30 to the mass exodus of C&W fans leaving in their RV's. Steady stream of them going north on 101 but, on Blanco Drive, a 3 mile backup waiting to get out onto 101 and the parking lot for the concert wasn't empty yet! Good riddance ...

When we got to the state park, wondered what it would be like to get a spot? 2/3 of them sites were empty. The gate to the group camp was closed. Suspect the group camp is wide open now and, at the moment, "regular" sites abound.

Until 13:00, there was a fair amount of *og but it's burnt off now into a haze. Walked out on the point and just a faint sign of lift out of the west, northwest.

Picture attached of the fishing boat that "ran out of lift" a couple of weeks ago: http://theworldlink.com/news/local/c...d341323a2.html "Rescue swimmer saved 4 lives ...." (God bless those Coast Guards men when you need them!)

Fellow flyer from SanDiego said that, "yesterday the winds were light and out of the south" ..... Weather guessers at weather.com say "north 10-20 for tomorrow" ....

Cubnuts
Aug 03, 2015, 04:30 PM

Post script to the fishing boat story

Be sure and stop at Safeway along the way and bring lots of Thousand Island dressing!!!!!!!!!!!! The ship was a shrimper and had 10,000 pounds of shrimp on board, Saturday evening we'll have a shrimpfest.
Aug 03, 2015, 04:57 PM

Getting Ready

Hooking up the Trailer today, be there Wednesday.
Sorry to here about you Radio MR Jensen, does this mean 35 will be open

Carla and I on this trip, Boys are off in other directions.
Aug 03, 2015, 05:53 PM
Will fly for food
Everything is packed, just need to get it all packed into the Blitz mobile. Its going to be a heavy load but we should arrive near 3:00pm.
Aug 03, 2015, 07:32 PM
pnc
pnc
Getting packed now see you there Tuesday. .
Pete
Aug 04, 2015, 12:45 AM
Arrrr, you early arriver's are going to make the next two work days hell! Thursday can't get here soon enough, see you all then.
Aug 04, 2015, 01:16 AM
Sadly, we won't get there until Thursday evening. Thursday looks like the best day, a good all-rounder wind, followed by Friday., at least if the guessers are right. Weather forecasting still is a crap shot more than a day or two out, more for the bigger events.

https://www.windyty.com/?42.826,-124.575,13
Aug 04, 2015, 07:44 AM

05:30 Cape Blanco

Just got back the slope trailer. Went out to the point ..... oh what a difference a day makes! Yesterday at 09:30 was calm and f*gy, this morning winds out of the north at a minimum of 20! Wires weren't whistling yet but getting there. Was warm too!

(Our shrimp salad remains firmly grounded on the rocks below..... bring lots of lettuce ....)
Aug 04, 2015, 09:48 AM
On the Go Fly List
Hope to see lots of pics and videos. That is about as close as a I will get this year; had a change of plans.

Adam
Aug 04, 2015, 02:41 PM
Pete, did you remember to look at the Bluto battery config? You thought it was a flatpack, 2x2? I'm assuming there was a short wire between the two 2-wide packs to fit into the V of the nose and not a solid 2x2 single pack?
I'm building a pack for it and wanted to get it close, assuming there is a wire between the two half-packs, roughly how long was it?
Also, was the ply for the tail aircraftply or lightply? Do you know roughly the size, I'm assuming a 6x12 sheet would cover it?
Tom
Aug 04, 2015, 03:27 PM
Ahh, moment of stupidity, never mind about the plywood question, I don't think they make light ply in 1/16" so I'll pick up some aircraft ply.
Still be interested in the battery config if you get a chance to post before Thursday morning.
Tom
Aug 04, 2015, 04:57 PM

Close Encounters of the Thrid Kind .....

By noon there were a dozen slope heads out tearing up the air on the north side of the ridge and another couple DSing in the south bowl above the shrimp salad.

I get this vision of slope heads being drawn to the Cape for hundreds of miles around who are northbound on 101 at this moment and other southbound, still others out on I-5 waiting to make the westerly turn to come out to the Pacific. Others yet at their jobs and in their homes unable to concentrate on the tasks at hand preoccupied with "sloping at the Cape"?

Not sure who all is here but the pictures show what kinds of airplanes made it so far.

I checked the wind at 09:00 and it was about 27, at 12:30 read 35 with a gust to 41! Today's a "heavy", hopefully we'll get a "moderate" day at 15 or so tomorrow or Thursday?

The "Blue Angel" is Tom Martin's exquisite Bob Martin SR-7. (Yes the fiberglass fuse and not Duralene.) Photo taken about 14:15 and Thom said, "going to go take a nap and maiden it about 16:00". Can't wait!

Cubnuts
Aug 04, 2015, 07:18 PM

Maiden of Thom Martin's SR-7

At 16:30 into a 35 mph wind, Thom launched is newly built Bob Martin SR-71 in Blue Angels motif. "Flew right out of the box" as they say. A real retro slope glider out of the '80's from when we were just kids and it was the "latest and greatest".

Am sure Thom will have it up more this week, it's an impressive airplane! There's a thread here on RCU about SR-7's: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300809

Cubnuts

Quick Reply