Jul 13, 2015, 05:21 AM
Balsa Builder
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNXDAMPER99 View Post
Hi Paul, Would it be possible for me to purchase a complete wing set to fit my original fuselage? Really pleased with my Arthur, done 9hrs20mins now!
I am going to get some of those, need to confirm the costs. Since the fuselage and wings are the same outside dimension, old fuselages and new fuselages are interchangeable, as are wings.

On the nylon wing bolts, yes, also used instead the metal ones.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2015, 08:14 AM

ATHER 3715mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Susbauer View Post
I am going to get some of those, need to confirm the costs. Since the fuselage and wings are the same outside dimension, old fuselages and new fuselages are interchangeable, as are wings.

On the nylon wing bolts, yes, also used instead the metal ones.
Thanks Paul, looking forward to delivery, ( later in year ?)
Jul 13, 2015, 08:45 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Susbauer View Post
I am going to get some of those, need to confirm the costs.
Oooh, that would be interesting! I have a CLM Pro fuse looking for a wing...
Jul 14, 2015, 02:44 PM
Ben
Hi All,

Well my Aether is about ready to go. It's about 99% done but I'm going to be out of town till next Thursday so "first flight" will have to wait till after then. I have built it basically straight stock from the kit. HOLY COW, that is a big wing. 5 piece wing and it measures about 147.5 " tip to tip! It reminds me a lot of my old Sailair from years past. No, its not "state of the art", that will cost you an extra couple grand and a heart attack when you trash it. What it IS, is a honest old time gas bag that should give you hours of soaring pleasure if you treat it right!

The kit has been pretty well covered in all the past post. The only thing I would change is:

1. Addition of corner braces inside the flaps and ailerons to keep the ends from bowing in over time and the covering loosening.

2. Modify the trailing edge hinges for less gap/drag in that area.

3. Fair in the Elevator mount, That really is awful!

4. Use more substantial motor mount (glass or CF).

There weren't any surprises in building it, just a damn good plane for the money. Sure parts like the wing joiners had to be sanded a bit to fit but that was 20 min of extra work.

Using a Spektrum DX8 system, all eight channels being used, mixing out the yahoo, 4 servos in wing, 2 in tail, a used NEU motor/6.7 gearbox, adequate folding prop, 4Cell 3800 battery pack, backup battery system. It needs the weight to balance it. Will have a home made thermal sniffer in it, Auto pilot on Pitch as It fixes/eliminates a lot of fiddling on pitch under power and pitch changes with flaps, crow, etc. early on till you can get it dialed in. Plus I like to fly with a fairly AFT CG.

Building a 12' + model in a one bedroom apartment with a 3 foot workbench is challenging! A patient wife is a plus! Will post pictures/video of the maiden flight.
This beautiful Honker of a bird is simply going to be my "fly for fun" ship when I need a good shade to sit under! I simply don't know if it can stand up to contest work yet, maybe it can but it looks a bit weak in the wing/fuselage junction area.
Again, just my opinions as of now, time will tell.

The newer/improved ship coming down the line this fall looks much better, I look forward to seeing it arrive in the US. Hope they keep the price in line with this one!

Ben
Jul 14, 2015, 03:30 PM
rip
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4zep View Post
Building a 12' + model in a one bedroom apartment with a 3 foot workbench is challenging! A patient wife is a plus!
You got that right brother...
Jul 14, 2015, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xetpot View Post
Mike
I do not doubt your measurement!
I was just surprised myself of the difference obtained with various methods .
Probably the best way to measure our aircraft would hang them to balance fish.
You are quite right X.

Before I weighed it in sections, tips, tails and boom separate , this time the entire glider assembled and am at 85 oz. ready to fly with a slightly heavier battery . It is a mystery.

I am afraid to put it on a scale again before I fly it.

Mike
Jul 14, 2015, 07:37 PM
The Flying Circus
Ben is right about weakness of the fuselage at wing junction. Mine cracked the monocoque just below the rear wing saddle after a ground loop. All of the aft flexing loads from the tail boom, and forward loads converge at this point, which also is a shear point formed by the junction of the wing captive nut mounting plate.
A little extra glass helped with mine.
Jul 14, 2015, 08:03 PM
The Flying Circus
Re building in small premises...
When I left home in, well it was a LOOONG time ago, I flatted with a friend. We both were hang glider pilots.
It was a 2 bedroom flat.
He built a full size Mitchell Wing hang glider in the flat, and equipped it with a motor and trike frame to fly as an ultralight. This thing was at least 30' wingspan...made from thin ply and spruce mostly, fabric covered. The kitchen and all spare spaces were no go zones for a very long time.
I moved before it was finished, but I can still hear the sound of sawing wood in my dreams...
This is something like what it looked like. I don't have actual pics of his.
http://www.mitchellwing.com/images/p...%20Wing%20.jpg
Jul 15, 2015, 03:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Ben is right about weakness of the fuselage at wing junction. Mine cracked the monocoque just below the rear wing saddle after a ground loop. All of the aft flexing loads from the tail boom, and forward loads converge at this point, which also is a shear point formed by the junction of the wing captive nut mounting plate.
A little extra glass helped with mine.
May be something like a horizontal servo tray at that point as it also where you hold to launch .
Jul 15, 2015, 08:29 AM
The Flying Circus
Hi Hairyparts,
That would helps with compression loads. Probably also help to stop it getting pulled apart. The damage comes from longitudinal flexing, which tears the glass apart. Mine cracked and split vertically down from the apex of the attachment saddle.
Jul 16, 2015, 01:54 AM

Rear wing saddle reinforce

A plywood mounting plate at the rear wing saddle area will be fitted to my Aether.
This plate will hold 2x computer type "D" connectors for quick disconnect of each wing servo.
This mounting plate will also mount the receiver and should help to reinforce this area.May be a balsa plug epoxied to the rear of the wing saddle could also help.
Jul 16, 2015, 03:09 AM
St-Lazare,Quebec,Canada
Some news of yellow Ather !

Finally ,I came to realize that having painting I add 100 to 200g in this aircraft.
Guys this is not a good idea!
I have about 200gr more compared to my first estimates of the total weight. Also my new engine is heavy compared to the old , with 4 cells now the total weight is 2908gr ,with 3 cells is 2803gr.
Now with that nose weight I had to move back receiver battery just before the boom and that way adjust easily CG 95 to 120mm simply dragging the engine battery without any move of other parts on the plane.

The 42mm run without overheating perfectly even at 60 amps with my 4 cells 3300ma and 17x9 propeller.
At 4 cells certainly this is a too powerful,this is a glider !!!!but perhaps for days without thermals just flying 30-40 and more minutes at half to a quarter throttle .

Probably tomorrow I will try versions 3 and 4 cells and first trimming flights are to the agenda.
Jul 17, 2015, 07:54 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Any news on when the wing only will be available?
Jul 17, 2015, 09:58 AM
rip
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away View Post
Any news on when the wing only will be available?
From Paul remarks, all these new releases are several months down...
Jul 17, 2015, 05:01 PM
St-Lazare,Quebec,Canada

First flight

Inauguration of my Aether today!
It was not a long test flight today as there were traffic flying club and the storm was coming soon.

Tested at CG 105mm balance
and 2.9 degree of incidence of the stabilizer ,only 3-4 clicks of down elevator trim was required to have perfect flight level .
The test dive is healthy as it is,the glider trying to resume his former course.

I reduced of 20% deflection recommended by the manufacturer of elevator and ailerons and seems sufficient to me and probably too much again for ailerons.

Long & docile glide path unsurprisingly landing without deploying flaps .

It was a great flight for someone who does not flight from 3-4 years !
Hours of fun in perspective !I continue tomorrow if weather permits.

I forgot my 4cells motor
is too strong , you could go up to 90 degree if you want.Tomorrow I tests 3 cells
Last edited by xetpot; Jul 17, 2015 at 09:09 PM.

Quick Reply