May 15, 2015, 12:03 PM
rip
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
I would think you could:
Sand the bevel off the flap
Fill with thin balsa stock and sand down so that the flap is even with ailerons when you fit it to the center section...
If I go the 90 degrees flap rout i'd just glue triangular stock on the top part of the flap to get the gracia-like aileron hinge...

decisions decisions...
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2015, 10:55 PM

90 degree flaps?

Are you planning on flying ALES?

Flaps change from camber to speed brakes, in this case used to make spot landings for points.

Why bother if you don't fly tasks events? Leave it as is and learned to control approach energy, then land anywhere as do most sport pilots.

Just wondering . :-)
Gordy
May 16, 2015, 11:24 PM
Great Day for Up!
Received mine today Zero damage to the box, and as far as I can tell, everything is there that should be there.

As others have mentioned, the covering application is pretty much flawless. I was blown away!

The staggering amount of checkerboard is borderline criminal. I'm suppressed they let it through customs.

While I was prepared for the size of the fuse, I still found myself chuckling as I unwrapped it. It is massive!! Proportional, but massive. Same with the wing chord. Thick enough to give this 3.7m 15% more wing area than a pulsar 3.6m. Even with the tapered and swept wing....which looks silly on the living room floor. Kinda like a tugboat with a speedboat's narrow prow.

The flaps are also huge. With 90 degree deflection, I think the Aether could easily back up.

The wing saddle is weak. To my untrained eye, very weak.
I gave it some gentle pressure, and part of it just let go from the fuse. You can see the crack that was created on the right side of the ply near the t-nut.
I won't fly it until I do some significant work in there. Kevlar, some more ply... I don't know. I'm inexperienced at this, but just about anything would be an improvement.

All in all, pretty amazing amount of kit for $270 shipped
May 16, 2015, 11:40 PM
rip
Thread OP
Thanks for the pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadablacsheep
Received mine today Zero damage to the box, and as far as I can tell, everything is there that should be there.

As others have mentioned, the covering application is pretty much flawless. I was blown away!

The staggering amount of checkerboard is borderline criminal. I'm suppressed they let it through customs.

While I was prepared for the size of the fuse, I still found myself chuckling as I unwrapped it. It is massive!! Proportional, but massive. Same with the wing chord. Thick enough to give this 3.7m 15% more wing area than a pulsar 3.6m. Even with the tapered and swept wing....which looks silly on the living room floor. Kinda like a tugboat with a speedboat's narrow prow.

The flaps are also huge. With 90 degree deflection, I think the Aether could easily back up.

I gave it some gentle pressure, and part of it just let go from the fuse. You can see the crack that was created on the right side of the ply near the t-nut.
I won't fly it until I do some significant work in there. Kevlar, some more ply... I don't know. I'm inexperienced at this, but just about anything would be an improvement.

May 17, 2015, 01:16 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadablacsheep

D-Sheep,

I too am concerned about the wing attachment. Others have flown it with no reported modifications to the wing attachment ... but give it time and I think we may hear some bad news regarding this ... I guess it depends on how you fly the plane. Nosing into the ground to make your landing points may be too much for this plane. Leisurely flying and I think it will be OK!
May 17, 2015, 03:58 AM
The Flying Circus
Although the saddle looks a little fragile, it is probably gong to be stronger than the wing attachment holes. I have ordered nylon screws to replace the steel ones, as I would rather replace nylon screws than have the wing tear up on hard landing.
May 17, 2015, 07:48 AM
rip
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn
Although the saddle looks a little fragile, it is probably gong to be stronger than the wing attachment holes. I have ordered nylon screws to replace the steel ones, as I would rather replace nylon screws than have the wing tear up on hard landing.
What size screws? Same as the steel screws?
May 17, 2015, 08:14 AM
The Flying Circus
You betcha! M4 nylon. I think 4 of them should be plenty. Im not winching or bungeeing or aerobatic-ing or even going fast. The plane weighs 3 ish Kg. I guess he fuselage weighs about
2. If I were to pull 5G, then I reckon the wings would break at 10-15Kg, but im sure 4xM4 Nylon screws would easily support 15Kg. 4 steel is over engineered.
Anyway if it breaks I will definitely let y'all know.
May 17, 2015, 08:26 AM
rip
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn
You betcha! M4 nylon. I think 4 of them should be plenty. Im not winching or bungeeing or aerobatic-ing or even going fast. The plane weighs 3 ish Kg. I guess he fuselage weighs about
2. If I were to pull 5G, then I reckon the wings would break at 10-15Kg, but im sure 4xM4 Nylon screws would easily support 15Kg. 4 steel is over engineered.
Anyway if it breaks I will definitely let y'all know.
Hopefully it breaks while trying to get landing score and not under "normal" circumstances. M4 screw is as thin as spaghetti
May 17, 2015, 10:03 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabe
D-Sheep,

I too am concerned about the wing attachment. Others have flown it with no reported modifications to the wing attachment ... but give it time and I think we may hear some bad news regarding this ... I guess it depends on how you fly the plane. Nosing into the ground to make your landing points may be too much for this plane. Leisurely flying and I think it will be OK!
Score graduations on ALES landing tapes are 1/2 to 1 meter wide, 19.6 to 39.3 inches, and you have those big flaps to slow you down, so you should be able to slide in or come in low and drop onto the tape with good results. But some hard nose landings will inevitably happen.

As for the concern about the wing attachment. What is the concern? Are you concerned the fuse is going to break on a less than smooth landing or that the wing bolt mounts will pull out?
Last edited by aeajr; May 17, 2015 at 10:16 AM.
May 17, 2015, 10:19 AM

Aether

I just received two of these. I chose the el cheapo Singpost shipping ,$260 shipped each, arrived in eleven days, well packed and intact.
. A lot of airplane for the $. I am not a contest guy like you big boys so this plane looks like a nice giant floater and should be good enough for me.
No time to build now ,so I'll be watching this thread , thanks for the posts guys.
May 17, 2015, 10:24 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
ALES landing tapes are 1/2 to 1 meter, 19.6 to 39.3 inches, wide, and you have those big flaps to slow you down, you should be able to slide in or come in low and drop onto the tape with good results. But some hard nose landings will inevitably happen.

As for the concern about the wing attachment. What is the concern? Are you concerned the fuse is going to break on a less than smooth landing or that the wing bolt mounts will pull out?
BOTH!!!

The nuts are just being held in place by a single strip of ply... the assembly of which is very crude. The pictures don't show it, but a piece of 1/4- 3/16 inch ply is epoxied (?) under both sides of the wing saddle, then holes drilled through and a nut glued into place.

I can't tell if it is a blind nut that has the teeth going up into the wood, or if they are just 'set screw' type nuts glued into the holes. The glue is not even ... in some places it is thick and in others I can see gaps between the fuse and the wood.

There isn't really much I can do except adding more cloth/fiber but that really won't matter if the joint is already flawed.

If I could wave a magic wand I would have CF under the saddle, making sure the bond is uniform across the entire surface, then drilled holes for wing mounting.

I'm sure this setup is OK for normal 'fun' flying , but you start abusing and I can see it failing on some models that don't have near perfect joints between the plywood and the underside of the wing saddle.

So owners, take your fingers and rub under the wing saddle ... and also see if there are any gaps between wood and epoxy fuse. I think the wing is VERY beefy and extremely strong ... I just wonder about the wing attachment.

The other part of the fuse that worries me is the firewall attachment. Its just thick plywood. I am going with washers on the motor mounting bolts ( the motor I received didn't have any bolts and that is fine, as I will need very long bolts due to the thick firewall).

Again, if I had that magic wand, the firewall would have been G10 glass or maybe even a thick CF. I have had a couple ply mounts eventually give out; motor starts to become loose due to vibrations.

Those are my only concerns with this plane!!
May 17, 2015, 10:32 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Washers should make a big difference on the firewall, especially if you epoxy them into place so they become part of the firewall. They can really spread the load.

An alternative might be to get a big "fender washer" or a piece of light sheet metal and epoxy that onto the firewall to create a composite mount of wood and metal. Use some slightly longer screws to mount the motor.

If we look at the weight of the recommended motor, 365 grams, and the recommended battery pack at 452 grams, that is a LOT of weight up front. If you go for a little lighter motor or a lighter battery pack you can easily afford a little extra weight in the motor mount in order to reinforce it.
Last edited by aeajr; May 17, 2015 at 10:40 AM.
May 17, 2015, 01:01 PM
Started my build, . 1 Having previously had a glass fuselage glider , there is a weakness in the fuselage where the cockpit is , due to the hatch being removable , extra glass/carbon strengthening is in order
2 Nylon screws are a good idea for fixing the main wing , the nuts are blind with teeth so firstly screw a bolt with a large metal plate as a washer in ( without the wings) tight to locate the nuts firmly. I will tape the wings together when fitted .fine grade wet/dry on the wing saddle to firm things up .
3 A 40mm Metal washer at the engine firewall , epoxy in place should do the trick .
4 The tailplane needs to firmly mounted but the bolts through it wear the soft balsa very rapidly ( 1 fixing !) so a ply plate top and bottom is required also fine grade wet/dry on the saddle to stop any movement is my solution .
5 I am also fitting pull/pull rudder .
6 The supplied hinges are ok if you can get the free enough , I might replace with proper ones .

Rob
May 17, 2015, 03:03 PM
rip
Thread OP

Intriguing Post

Someone posted this on the HK web site. Intriguing:

Quote:
vanhaverbeke 5 points - 5/16/2015

HobbyKing can not put in the Ather EU, UK warehouse because the Chinese Ather manufacturer already has its customers in Europe.

Quick Reply